“Need Some Serious Updating”

Residence Inn Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Need Some Serious Updating”
Reviewed July 3, 2008

The Website states that the hotel went through some renovation. We stayed in a 1 BR with 1 BR Loft. We were somewhat dissapointed that the place still kept the same forest green carpets from the 90s and the airconditioning vents need some serious cleaning. The bathrooms are a bit small. Orange County was HOT in July, so when we arrived, the room was a scorching 98 degrees. The air was not circulating well that it took a whole night to finally get some cold air.

The best part of this stay is when we departed the following day.

• Liked — 2 BR Option with Kitchenette
  • Disliked — Rooms Came Up Short with Expectation
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank vegaslawbabe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Francisco
Reviewed April 1, 2008

After a three-day stay at this hotel, we discovered that someone from the hotel staff had stolen an iPod from our gym bag in one of their suites. Although we tried to work with Marriott to resolve this issue, they steadfastly refused to take any responsibility, and hinted that I was lying, despite conclusive evidence that the iPod was taken while in the hotel's possession. I will never again stay at any Marriott-owned property, and urge anyone who values their possessions to do likewise. This hotel in particular cannot be trusted, and the corporate management refuses to accept responsibility. Here's what happened.

We checked out from the hotel on a Monday morning and discovered that evening that we had left a gym bag behind. We immediately notified the hotel. The next day, we were informed that our room had not been re-occupied and that the staff had recovered the bag. The management agreed to hold the bag at the front desk for us to pick up. This was great news, or so we thought. Two days later, our daughter retrieved the bag, and while our smelly gym clothes remained, the iPod was missing.

We immediately notified the hotel manager, who sounded willing to help. By Marriott's own admission, the gym bag never left the hotel premises and hotel staffers were the only ones with access to it over the entire three days. No one else had access to it. But in the long run, all we got was a litany of excuses.

The manager said he checked with the staff and, surprise!, no one fessed up to taking the iPod. He offered to file a claim on our behalf with the corporate offices. In the meantime, I filed a theft report with the Irvine police.

Four days later, I received a call from the corporate offices. What started out as a polite conversation quickly degenerated when the staffer said they couldn't verify that the bag contained an iPod. "So you're telling me you don't believe me," I said. "No. We just don't know that there's an iPod," was the lame reply. I informed Marriott that I'd filed a theft report with the local police, and that filing a false report would make me a criminal. She didn't care.

Because we had accidentally left a bag behind in a locked hotel room, all bets for safe return of its contents were off. Apparently, the official policy is something like: Finders Keepers.

Finally, the representative offered me a $100 gift certificate, good for my next stay at a Marriott. (Does anyone know a Marriott where $100 covers even one night??) I asked why I would want to return to a hotel where the staff had stolen my property and the management refused to take responsibility. The irony was apparently lost on them. "That's the best we can do," they said.

No, that's not the best you can do. You can take responsibility for the theft of my property from your hotel. You can replace my iPod, and not tell me that it's two years old and that a $100 gift certificate, which costs you nothing, is a fair settlement. You can stop questioning the honesty of a long-time customer. And finally, you can cancel my family's membership in Marriott Rewards. We won't be back. Ever.

• Liked — The fact that I won't be back. Ever.
  • Disliked — The staff stole from my gym bag and refused to accept responsibility.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank lablover2go
Manteca, California
Reviewed December 5, 2007

I needed a hotel to accommodate our soccer team during Thanksgiving weekend. The staff here was extremely accommodating. Given the need for families to avoid eating out over a four day weekend, the kitchens suited our needs perfectly. The facilities were meticulously maintained and clean. While the location is in a well maintained industrial park, the Irvine Spectrum mall is very close and two supermarkets are a 5 minute drive away. The breakfast buffet was another big plus for our thrifty soccer moms and dads. The kids loved the pool, and ball court area. We brought our small dog with us, and the dog walk area was equipped with disposal bag dispensers on posts. They really have thought about everything. The hotel was very quiet and the room extremely clean. I highly recommend this Residence Inn for any family oriented traveler who needs to stay in the South Irvine area. As a member of Marriott's frequent stay program, I felt that this property was even better managed than most other Residence Inns.

• Liked — Fully equipped Kitchen and quiet location
  • Disliked — No market or restaurant in walking distance
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
Reviewed December 9, 2005

The hotel is located in the middle of business parks, so nothing of interest is within walking distance. Room was decent and clean but worn and dated. Staff was friendly & eager. Free breakfast was just OK.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank WashDC1
Chico, California
Reviewed September 14, 2005

We booked a non-smoking room that was a loft (large bed upstairs and fold-out bed in separate area) and were scheduled for a red-eye arrival. When we arrived, we were given a studio room (the larger bed and the fold-out were in the same room) and they tried to charge us the price for the loft room. Not only did they give us a smaller room, but they tried to charge us for the larger room! To add insult to injury, the place smelled like an ashtray. Obviously, they gave us a smoking room. All of our luggage and clothing reeked of smoke. I called the front desk to complain that they had not only given us the incorrect size room but that it was a smoking room too. The lady at the front desk was adamant that it was non-smoking. I was furious since the room reeked of smoke and there was a large ASHTRAY on the coffee table. After we complained to the manager they were willing to change the room rate to what the studio room costs (which is what they should do since that's where they put us), but I will wait until we get our credit card statement to see if they really honor that.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank ESS_lover
Clovis, CA
Reviewed April 9, 2004

Rooms are clean and spacious, with kitchen well-equipped enough to prepare simple meals. Location is excellent: convenient to the 5 and 405 freeways, as well as the Spectrum Entertainment Center. Front desk staff consistently courteous and helpful. Great selection and quality at buffet breakfast. Clean, heated pool. Would love to stay here again!

7 Thank Laurie B
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2004

The room was nice, fully equipped with everything you would need for a few days' stay. The service was excellent and the staff helpful. They even offer to do the grocery shopping for free if they are provided a list. I would give this Residence Inn a thumbs up.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member