“Spacious and clean rooms”

Residence Inn Irvine Spectrum
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Entrance to rooms are all outdoors and are four to a building. It makes for a very private stay in incredibly spacious and luxurious rooms.

Breakfast is all you can eat and pretty tasty for a hotel breakfast. Including make your own waffles and breakfast sandwiches.

Rooms include dishwasher and ovens. The later is very rare for rooms and make your stay a lot less expensive.

They serve dinners monday through wednesday. Not always as delicious, but I'm eating them and they are a sign of this hotels hospitality.

Typical beds for residence inns. Mattress is king size, but its a little too firm for me.

Hotel is driving distance to a decent size mall with shops and bars. I went there once, but thats not why I was in town. Laguna beach isn't far, which was an interesting change of pace.

Overall I stay at a lot of hotels for my job. I stayed at this one for one month and would put it in my top two hotels that I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much the same. Hard to miss.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank matthew a

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We returned to Irvine for the second time in July. My husband was working in his company's California office again, so we made a vacation of it. We stayed at this hotel during our first visit, so we chose it again. This second stay was very unpleasant as compared to the first. The pros...fabulous location - only a very short drive to beautiful Newport and Laguna beaches, as well as numerous wilderness areas, and the Irvine Spectrum. Easy access to freeways, Disneyland etc. The rooms are clean, although they have a stale smell, and the staff is usually very helpful and pleasant. The big con from this trip...the very large group of rude Saudis who were there for what we were told was an annual trip. They were loud and littered all over the place. I was unable to do laundry because they were in the too small laundry room daily, using all of the machines and once again, leaving their trash everywhere. In the mornings, they put their hands in the food, refusing to use the provided utensils. Not to mention, they seemed to think all of the food was intended for them. On more than one occasion, we were unable to eat because everything was gone. I actually witnessed one man taking all of the bread provided for toast. The hotel staff was aware of these issues. One staff member told us this happened every year and to try to be patient, they would leave soon. Unfortunately, they were there our entire stay, which we cut short. So, considering this is a yearly occurance, why wasn't the hotel prepared to deal with this so other guests would not have to be
inconvenienced? If we ever return to Irvine in July, we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
IrvineSpectrum, General Manager at Residence Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

I wanted to take a moment and Thank you for your comments. My team and I are disappointed that your stay was not better. We do try and schedule enough staff to minimize the impact of our International guest. However, due to your comments we will be reviewing our operational procedures to try and do a better job. My hopes is that you will try us again when you are in Irvine next time.
Anita Ashe-Michini

Reviewed June 9, 2012

If you're familiar with Residence Inn properties, you'll recognize this location as the "original" Residence Inn style, with the "house" style buildings surrounding a main "gatehouse," where the lobby, breakfast and fitness center are located.

I arrived late on my first night of a two-night stay, so although the check-in experience was friendly (with a nice gift for being Marriott Platinum Elite), the parking was tough to come by and the room I received was a bit of a hike from where I had to park. I'm sure the area of town is safe, but I always feel a little leery wandering to my room late at night and outdoors.

I had a first floor room, which is good when you have a large amount of luggage - the second floor units are only accessible via stairs. The room itself was a nice size and looked clean, but the room had definitely been smoked in and smelled very stale, even though this property is supposed to be smoke-free. I have had this issue at Residence Inn properties in the past - I think people are just very comfortable in these home-like hotels and smoke indoors as they might in their own homes? Bed was harder than what you'd find at a Courtyard Inn or a Marriott, but the bathroom and shower were nice. Plenty of outlets and lighting, room had a charming fireplace and a newly-renovated kitchen with nice countertops and appliances.

I didn't use the fitness center or try out the free breakfast on this visit, but I found the location to be very accessible to not only the SNA airport, but also to Irvine and Lake Forest area restaurants and stores.

Room Tip: If you have a large amount of luggage, stay on the first floor, as the second floor is only accessib...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank volksaudinut

Thank you for your comments, coming from our Platinum members your feedback is very important to us. I will share your review with my staff to ensure we meet your expectations. Thanks you again for choosing the Irvine Spectrum Residence Inn.

Anita Ashe- Michini

Reviewed May 30, 2012

Nice location and convenient. The room is just the right size. There was free dinner and breakfast. Good place to stay with kids.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank veronicaindonesia
IrvineSpectrum, General Manager at Residence Inn Irvine Spectrum, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2012

Thank you very much for your response. We are glad you had a enjoyable stay with us and look forward to your return.
Have a great day
Anita Ashe-Michini

Reviewed May 23, 2012

1 bedroom floor unit was clean, adequately equipped, and nicely appointed. Room rate of $130 per night was competitive. Front office staff was average, not overly friendly but not rude. Breakfast was above average, with eggs, ham/sausage, waffles, and good coffee. Excellent location for Irvine professional area, easy access to a number of businesses and restaurants. Bed is not comfortable at all, with a noticeable tilt to one side. I don't think the shampoo bottles can get any smaller, but the bath soap was quite pleasant, with a hint of lemon smell. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This was a good clean hotel... I'll summarized the pros and cons the best I can based on a 3 night stay.
Pros:
- Full fridge and kitchen, housekeeping even did my dishes for me
- Tennis court, pool, hot tub
- Beer and wine with dinner
- Friendly staff all around
Cons:
- If you stay on the second floor, there are no elevators, so you must lug your luggage up the stairs
- Dinner is only Monday-Wednesday, unlike other Residence Inns I've stayed at
- Hard to get parking spaces near your building
Overall, good hotel, I would return.

Room Tip: Get a first floor room if you don't like stairs
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My husband and I were looking for the perfect hotel to explore the Orange County while having the comfort of a cosy hotel, so we decided to go the Residence Inn. The manager was very nice and we felt most welcome in the place, so our stay started on good bases. We called the front desk asking for an extra chair when we arrived in the room, because surprisingly they just give you one chair for the kitchen table, even when you registered for two... Anyway, the room was cosy and modern, which we definitely liked.
Then the troubles began. We asked on another traveler's advice for a second floor room, but has a 1st floor room. Big mistake.... The people above us were probably insomniac, and had probably to relieve their anxiety by walking heavily the whole night long back and forth in their room. Needless to say that we were looking to recharge our batteries, and on that matter, this goal was not reached.
On the positive side, the pool and spa area was nice, breakfast was ok, yet not the best one we've seen in this range of price.
When we explained to the manager what happened, she didn't understand why we didn't call the front desk to have it call the client above, yet I wouldn't say that was the above customer fault, but rather the lack of isolation in the building. She apologized and offered us some Marriott points, but we don't have the card, so it just stopped there.
As a conclusion, I would say that I am expecting from an hotel at that range of price to be irreproachable on almost everything. Not perfect, not luxurious, just above a regular hotel. And that was not the case, and it shaded our week-end. Too bad.
NB : Although the manager had left some work order for it, we never got our second chair...

Room Tip: 2nd floor only, if you are two in the room, plan ahead and ask to have a second chair at your arriva...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple