“Closest thing to Plate Lunch you"ll get here on Mainland”

Nalu's Island Grill
Ranked #263 of 664 Restaurants in Irvine
Pasadena, CA
“Closest thing to Plate Lunch you"ll get here on Mainland”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We are always jonesn for that special flavor you can pretty much ONLY get in Hawaii. This place though is pretty darn close! Their garlic shrimp over rice is spot on as is their mac salad. Their fish is also yummy. They carry a variety of Hawaiian canned juices to make the whole plate lunch complete. It's about as close as we have found yet to being on the Islands. The staff is super friendly too! Alllloha!!!

• Visited August 2013

Irvine, California
“ono food tasty”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have had hundereds fo mahi sandwiches, lived in hawaii 23 years. this is the best mahi mahi sandwich i have ever had! the fries were outstanding and the service was just fine. if you want an excellent fish sandwich then this is your place. my kid had the teri burger and she said it was the best she had ever had!

• Visited May 2013
Irvine, California
“Healthy, quality food in a hurry”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This place is so good in so many ways. I am addicted. The food is prepared in a way that puts other local 5 star restaurants to shame. The people running the place - from the cashier to the cooks - are super friendly and seem to really care about their product. I've tried the salmon and the talapia and both were amazing. I really love the coleslaw side that you get with the meal. I don't eat pasta so I skip the second side of macaroni salad and they give me a generous salad or extra cole slaw instead. I plan on trying many other items from the menu and it will be easy because I've been visiting this restaurant almost daily! Yes, it is that good!

• Visited April 2013
Connecticut
“tasty - a different fast food place”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have been in town on business and have been stopping for dinner to try out the various places found at the Quail Hill Village Center by Albertson's at Sand Canyon and Quail Hill on the way back to my hotel each evening.

Tonight, I decided to try out Nalu's.

I went inside and found plenty of empty chairs and tables at 5:00 pm on a Tuesday.

I went up to the counter after looking at the menu and decided on the Tabasco Shrimp ($11) which came with 3 sides. I ordered brown rice, slaw, and steamed veggies (carrots and broccoli). For drinks, they do not offer beer or wine, so I ordered a diet coke. I told them I would eat inside.

After paying the check, they gave me a stanchion with a number and told me that they would bring my meal to me at any table I chose.

After about 10 minutes, they brought out a tray holding a plate filled with my choice.

The tabsco shrimp was smothered in a creamy sauce over the brown rice. The sauce was not overly hot. I added more tabasco sauce myself.

I thought the meal was very good and a nice option for a quick meal.

Next time I come back, I plan to try one of their fish dinners.

• Visited July 2012
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“It's a go-to place for lunch or a relaxed munch for dinner. I would get the Hawaiian Saimin Soup, Spam or Portuguese...”
Reviewed April 30, 2008

It's a go-to place for lunch or a relaxed munch for dinner. I would get the Hawaiian Saimin Soup, Spam or Portuguese Sausage Musubi, and the Big Kahuna burger. There's something about how the burgers taste. Could it be the teriyaki sauce they put on it? Or perhaps some secret seasoning in the meat? Whatever the case, when the cheese and meat combo in that burger hits your mouth... a smile develops. Affordable and quick.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook