“Fantastic food......but........”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Fantastic food......but........”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My girlfriend found a Groupon for this restaurant that was a really good deal so we went there for an opportunity to try a new restaurant. We were delighted with the decor inside, presentation of the food, sauces, and flavoring, The menu had many selections from House Specials that had me, a die hard Chinese food addict from Brooklyn NY, wanting to try more dishes than I could acually eat. So here's the but.........the waiter rushed us....which we resisted and then he ignored us, the bathroom door was broken off it's hinge and didn't close and the restuarant was very cold inside and it was a chilly night. The patrons in front half of restaurant were eating with their jackets on and the rest of us were trying to close the blinds to keep the windows covered and not allow cold air in. Overall we enjoyed our dinner there and would go again if it were a warmer day. The decor was modern and clean....upbeat for a date or nice family event if you don't mind poor service.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Chattylori

San Diego, California
“Are they even trying?”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We had a bad feeling right when we walked in and during the 15 minute wait for the drinks we ordered. We went for their dim sum, which you order from a sushi-like checklist, rather than the fun carts that circle the room. Maybe the lack of customers warrented the new system? The tea (my favorite part of dim sum) was bland - not an hint of aroma - and could have just been tinted hot water. The dim sum was flavorless - even when we had no other option but to drown it in soy sauce. As far as the service, it was absent until the very end when our waitress tried her best to sell us a dessert, even as we insisted on the check. By calling themselves a fine dining restaurant, the expectations were high, but Crystal Jade does not even merit being called Asian dining experience.

• Visited December 2012
Anaheim
“Not worth your time”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Okay, so first this place is a bit out of the way. Which, if it was worth it, wouldn't be that big of a deal. We went on a Saturday night and when we walked in there were only two other couples in the place (not a good sign). We had a travelzoo voucher so decided to stay. We did not receive a warm greeting. Instead a man rushed up to us and said "you want to order to go"? I felt right away, we were going to be rushed. It was only 8pm on Sat. night. They seated us, then forgot about us. Finally, our waitress came around and asked if we wanted drinks. I ordered the coco-tini and my boyfriend the bombay slinger (I think that is what it was called)...I also asked for water...which never came and had to ask two additional times. My coco-tini was very good and he liked his drink. The second round, a totally different story. It's like they had come from a different bar. When we confronted our waitress she just sort of argued that they were the same. We ordered crab puffs and tempura coconut shrimp for appetizers. The crab puffs were okay. They are basically cream cheese wontons with a hint of crab. The shrimp was a joke. It was not tempura or coconut. Just bland fried shrimp that came with sweet and sour. I've never seen "coconut shrimp" served with sweet and sour. It tasted horrible and we only ate 2 of the 8 pieces. For dinner I ordered the honey walnut shrimp. It wasn't too bad, but at $16.25 it was over priced. Our travelzoo voucher came with dessert. Our waitress suggested the cheesecake. What came out was (4) bite sized pieces of cheesecake. Literally the size of a quarter each...oh and it was frozen. HORRIBLE!!! The whole time we were there the bus boy was removing the linens from all the empty table and getting them ready for lunch the next day. He was slamming down chopsticks and pulling tables in and out, cleaning underneath...making it hard to hold a conversation with all the noise. They always made us feel we had walked in while they were trying to close. Our waitress was no attentive, slightly arguementative, not helpful with the menu. Most of the food was sub-par and overpriced. Will not ever go back. Not even if the meal was free.

Oh yeah, when we left...the older lady at the front desk was too busy texting to say good night, thanks or anything of that nature.

• Visited October 2012
Lake Forest, California
“Overpriced Asian”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Decided to try this restaurant off the 405 and Shady Canyon. Quiet Monday night and the service was slow. Was told that scallops and shrimp were in a 'white garlic sauce" ($16.50) but was served in a brown, salty sauce. Dish was served tepid, must have been waiting for the chicken with basil and green beans ($9.95) , which was served hot and was tasty. Waiter asked if I wanted more water in my empty water glass. By the time I got home, I had a headache, which I get from having alot of salt. MSG is optional, we said No MSG and light salt. I have other chinese restaurants to eat at.

• Visited July 2012
Irvine, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible Horrible SERVICE --- Do Not Go !!!”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

After seating us, we waited 40 minutes before WE had to ask them to take our order - the manager acted like we were bothering him/. then, when the drinks arrived the waiter SLAMMED them down on the table and didnt even say anything. THEN, after waiting and watching all the other patrons being servied before us, we finally WALKED OUT !!! -- Terrible Service ! Do Not Go !!! - You have been WARNED !!!!

• Visited June 2011