“Decent Neighborhood Eatery”

Dining options: Reservations
Jakarta
“Decent Neighborhood Eatery”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The place was beginning to crowd when we left before dinner time (having been invited by locals) on Sunday & after reading some of the recent reviews, this place is no doubt a local favorite. The food taste range from standard to good but the service got off to a bad start for us as the servers were not attentive when we arrived for an early dinner. Overall, if you want to grab decent Japanese food in your local neighborhood, then this may be the place.

• Visited June 2013

Irvine, California
“Neighborhood gem”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We go to Tomikawa a few times a year and our last visit was one of the best. Very crowded early on a Sunday evening, partly because of the daylight savings time change. Waited about five minutes and then were seated at a table in one of the private rooms. Pretty sparse setting right off the kitchen door.
Service was prompt and friendly.
Food was the best we've had in all our visits. We both ordered the three-combi dinners. Tempura was light, crisp, and hot...straight from the fryer. California roll and sashimi were fresh. Salmon and steak teriyaki were both cooked perfectly and the steak was surprisingly tender.
A couple of sakes and that was the meal. No room for dessert and a bit left over for lunch.

• Visited November 2012
Switzerland
“Average to good Japanese cuisine”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

This is the typical step up from fast food restaurant. Please don't expect perfect service. You do get satisfactory service for this type of restaurant.
I am not an expert on Japanese food and I don't eat sashimi so I can't help in that area. I go to Tomikawa often for a quick bite and it is usually for their Udon soups or specialty rolls. I've never been disappointed. I must add that their rolls taste different everytime. It probably depends on the person who is preparing them.
In all, not a bad place for a quick meal.

• Visited March 2012
Millbrae, California
“Had fun to open the holiday season with friends...”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I went with 5 other friends around 5:30pm for the Happy Hour Specials. The atmosphere was nothing to write home about EXCEPT to say that the acoustics allowed for private conversations to be heard without shouting or worrying about disturbing the next table - which is unique today. The food - we ordered 27 different kinds of sushi with two duplications (i.e. placed two repeat orders). Of the variety ordered only one really disappointed me. KAPPA MAKI (cucumber roll) is the simplest kind of maki sushi and therefore it is one of the hardest to "hide" any mistake (i.e. texture of rice or amount of osu - rice vinegar). The sushi was way too "FAT" (i.e. too much rice and the amount of vinegar used was lacking). Having said that, the other sushi we ate was "not bad" - especially for the 1/2 price tag during Happy Hour. Now would I cater from this place for a fancy sushi party filled with gourmet connoisseurs? No. But I would not hesitate to take friends for a "quick bite" during Happy Hour. 27 orders of sushi, drinks (2 alcoholic ones, 1 coke, tea) plus generous tip was $140.00 for six people. I hope to return soon.

• Visited December 2011
Sugar Land, Texas
“Excellent Japenese cruisine!”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

Family finally persauded me to try Japenese and Tomikawa did not disappoint. Excellent cruisine. This was my first meal to totally consume with chop sticks. So fun. Try the steak and chicken tempura combination for lunch. Sushi and many of the rolls were very good. We will return and hope to see you there.

• Visited December 2011