“Had fun to open the holiday season with friends...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #160 of 643 Restaurants in Irvine
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Millbrae, California
“Had fun to open the holiday season with friends...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

I went with 5 other friends around 5:30pm for the Happy Hour Specials. The atmosphere was nothing to write home about EXCEPT to say that the acoustics allowed for private conversations to be heard without shouting or worrying about disturbing the next table - which is unique today. The food - we ordered 27 different kinds of sushi with two duplications (i.e. placed two repeat orders). Of the variety ordered only one really disappointed me. KAPPA MAKI (cucumber roll) is the simplest kind of maki sushi and therefore it is one of the hardest to "hide" any mistake (i.e. texture of rice or amount of osu - rice vinegar). The sushi was way too "FAT" (i.e. too much rice and the amount of vinegar used was lacking). Having said that, the other sushi we ate was "not bad" - especially for the 1/2 price tag during Happy Hour. Now would I cater from this place for a fancy sushi party filled with gourmet connoisseurs? No. But I would not hesitate to take friends for a "quick bite" during Happy Hour. 27 orders of sushi, drinks (2 alcoholic ones, 1 coke, tea) plus generous tip was $140.00 for six people. I hope to return soon.

Sugar Land, Texas
“Excellent Japenese cruisine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2011

Family finally persauded me to try Japenese and Tomikawa did not disappoint. Excellent cruisine. This was my first meal to totally consume with chop sticks. So fun. Try the steak and chicken tempura combination for lunch. Sushi and many of the rolls were very good. We will return and hope to see you there.

Irvine, California
“Good neighborhood place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

We go to Tomikawa about once a quarter and were there on a Sunday evening. Not crowded and no wait for a table but most tables were full. They've added an appetizer of edamame fried in butter and garlic that's the best $3.50 you'll spend; really good way to start a meal. Service is good and food is the usual Japanese menu. We usually order the three item combination and there's always something left for a nice lunch the next day. Sushi's fresh but the tempura this time was not as hot and crispy as it usually is. Had the tempura fired ice cream for dessert and it was pretty good but not great. Much better than the frozen stuff we had at our last Mexican restaurant visit.
Tomikawa had been on restaurant.com which made it a great deal but they are no longer listed there.

Valdez, Alaska
“Disgusting, Dreadful Place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

This terrible place is a restaurant that nobody should go to. The food tastes very bad, and it is very expensive. The service is horrible. All the staff just ignored me. Also, the waiters and waitresses are so clumsy that they spilled all my water on me, and they made my food drop on the floor. Also, they did not even replace the dropped food. This place is truly a stupid, dreadful, horrendous restaurant.

• Visited December 2010
2 Thank Obok15
Santa Ana, California
“Boy, were we disappointed--this place has changed for the WORST”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

We ate here about a year ago and enjoyed it, but when we went in February 2011, we were really disappointed. Has the place changed hands? The tempura tasted heavy, greasy, and uncooked. My teriaki chicken came cold, and although I was served tea, there was never any refill. The whole experience was not what we had before and I certainly would NOT recommend this spot. If you want some good Japanese food, there are a lot other places which will do a better job.

• Visited February 2011