“Left after 2 hrs. AWFUL!!!”

Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport
Ranked #20 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed September 15, 2012

What an awful hotel. Nothing went right from the moment I arrive.

I'd just travelled for 25hrs and had arranged an early check-in. The room wasn't ready so I had to sit around and wait for over an hour. The last thing I needed after travelling for that long.
When the room was finally ready, I got my door keys and made my way over to the far end of the hotel with my luggage. Got there and the door keys didn't work. Had to go all the way back! Got inside and the room was old and decrepid. The carpet was threadbare, the furniture old and scratched etc etc.
I had URGENT business and needed internet and the phone, neither of which were working. I waited 2 hrs for them to fix the problem. They eventually got the internet on but didn't bother to let me know so I sat there waiting until I tried again myself and found it to be working. I was never able to make a call from the phone and when they eventually told me that their phones were not set up for international calls, I picked up my things and left.
To their credit they did make some calls at reception for me to find an alternative hotel and ring me a taxi.
Would NEVER return there again and would not recommend it to ANYONE!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PerthDiver72

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We booked thru Expedia and got a decent rate. The lobby is beautiful. I want to address the smell that was mentioned in a prior review. It was from the spa and not an unpleasant odor. I found the building to be old, but our room was in excellent condition! The room was extremely clean, carpet in decent shape! We had a view of the courtyard/pool area from our balcony that was beautiful. The pool area with the cabanas was a delightful perk! We spent a lazy day relaxing laying in the shade enjoying the view of the pool area. The breakfast buffet was adequate, nothing special but your basic breakfast. Yes you pay for parking, but had no issues getting into the self park area. I would definitely stay here again! I don't mind older hotels if the rooms are clean! And I have to say ours was impeccable!!!! And I just want to mention it is right across from the John Wayne Airport, but there were no issues with noise! Great job Atrium staff!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We arrived to find a confusing parking set-up. You can't pull up to the front of the hotel unless you want to do the valet parking. We had to find the poorly identified parking adjacent to the hotel and carry the kids and bags several hundred feet to the hotel lobby. The lobby looked nice but smelled terrible. I can't describe the smell. It's a stale.....something. Maybe old carpet that got wet back when Jimmy Carter was the President. The room had the same odor only more powerful. The room had very old furnishings. There was no bathroom door. There was a "sliding" door with the same hardware that was on a sliding door in my parent's house during the earlier mentioned President's term.. There were several layers of paint on the door making it impossible to slide without binding. We gave up and just left it open. The tub was stained and the drain rusted and broken. The doors slammed along the hall all night and early morning. Stay away.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 14, 2012

The location is great. The rooms are old and yet clean. Nothing fancy. They remind me of our student housing apartment in college. The bathrooms are simple and also quite old. The bed was nice with white linens. The pool area is very nice and towels are provided. The breakfast provided daily for our family for a small fee was very good--fresh fruit, bacon, eggs, juice, muffins, yogurt. Parking is $12 per day and not very easy to get in and out. The kids thought it was great.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sean B
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I walked out during check in, poor customer service, hidden "$50 per day incidentals" fee taken in full up front and said to be refunded after check out, $12 per day parking, poor parking situation. Several customers inquired about parking and we instructed to "go and look for parking!" The lobby area was untidy, hallway where rooms are located had a horrific smell. The hotel manager did nothing to demonstrate hospitality to his customers and was very hostile in dealing with unpleased guests.

Room Tip: I strongly suggest you never stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank 1234guett_Travel
A TripAdvisor Member
Indio, California, USA
Reviewed July 20, 2012

It may be that because we booked through "Cheap Hotels.com" that the hotel put us in the worst room that I've ever stayed in in the US. I would compare its quality to ones that I stayed in in Kathmandu, Nepal, a third world country. Smelled bad, very old TV, very dated decor, etc.

I found out that the hotel was undergoing a renovation and we got the 1954 decor! After complaining, they moved us to an recently renovated room

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Too many notes to watch my grammar, so apologies for that and here I go ...
Check in at approximately 5:30 p.m. Monday, July 16 - Front Desk Person was in no way welcoming. Did not give me instructions on how to find my room so I wondered a bit.
Find my room, door is stuck. Try the card key again. Get the green light again. Door is stuck. This is when I should have asked for another room or left all together. Wish I would have.
Put the card in again, get the light, push real hard and pretty much fall into my room. Door has to be pulled in just a bit to get the main lock to click. NOT SAFE.
Checked out the room, looks like the cleaning people do really try and there is a coffee pot with coffee so feeling better.
BUT, then I notice the adjoining door to the room next door and I thought I would just double check the lock. NOT LOCKED. REALLY SHOULD HAVE LEFT.
So I settle in and after knocking out work I turn on the TV to get a movie and .... the movie channel does not work. According to the front desk person, this time a man, the movie channel has not worked since they installed new TVs. REALLY! What hotel would not get this fixed right away?!
A few positive things: lots of hot and cold water, really nice pressure in the shower, lots of towels, and the free shampoo, conditioner, and lotion smelled really good.
OK, that was all the good things.
Ready for the really SCARY part? Remember, I could have, should have left!
I am all ready to leave in the morning and go to open the door. It is so stuck. If I had needed to exit the room in emergency it would have been impossible. I finally, after almost calling the front desk, force it open with both hands twisting the handle and pulling so that after almost falling into the room when I arrived I am in pretty much the same position upon leaving.
My recommendation? Stay next door!

p.s. This hotel came up as the first option when I was booking my Southwest Air reservation so I am letting them know too.

p.p.s. I do have to give credit to the guy at the front desk when I checked out. He was really tall and really nice and he seemed to understand what customer service is all about. I think he should transfer to a property who will appreciate his work.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room. Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo