“Better not stay here” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Irvine
Ontario, Canada
“Better not stay here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2008

Pros: Great location across the street from John Wayne Airport. Cool 2 person showers.
Cons: Old and smelly. Parking is annoying.
The Atrium is but outdated in its decor, but I found it clean and fairly comfortable. I had a non-smoking room, but it must have been a smoking room at some point because the static items, like drapes and furniture, reaked of old cigarette. I was a bit concerned as the lock on my patio door did not work. Fortunately, I was on the third floor, so I let it slide. The walls are indeed paper thin. I could hear the person in the next room taking a leak every morning they're that thin. And there was always the pleasant sound of the maids yelling down the hall at 6:30am. The hotel gym is closed, but they do offer you free passes to the local gym. Parking is $12/day, but it's a pay lot and you have to call the front desk to identify yourself every time you try and leave. I wasn't charged for Internet, but it says it's available for $9.99/day. Again, you have to call the front desk on a daily basis to get that day's password. The Waterfalls restaurant had great decor and they played this new-age music during breakfast. The buffet breakfast is great with lots of choice, but honestly, the service sucks. They have all this great food available, but it's missing the basics like coffee and cream, and ketchup. You have to request these items, and they tend to be slow in serving you. For the cost of a room, I feel the hotel is overpriced. I'd recommend staying at the Howard Johnson down the street for $54.99/night instead. There's a reason this is the lowest rated hotel in Irvine on TripAdvisor.

• Liked — Nice clean showers.
  • Disliked — The smell.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Bay Area, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2007

On the plus side, this hotel has spent money and energy on the pool area and other common areas. The pool area with bar, cabanas, lots of palms, happy hours and terrific lighting is right out of the Las Vegas-Rat Pack era. I thought they did a great job with it. Also positive: every staff member I encountered was friendly and helpful.

However, everything in my room, where I actually spent several hours at a time, was at least 15 years old and needed a complete refurb, including the bathroom and surrounding hallways. The mattress was cheap and uncomfortable (ditto pillows) and the A/C situation is so antiquated it doesn't actually blow air- allegedly you turn the thermostat to your preferred temperature, make sure the slider to your balcony is closed, and you should reach the temperature you want within 30 minutes. Fiction in September, must be a damn LIE in July. I found an employee delivering fans and requested one too, which was cheerfully and hastily brought to me. For such modest conditions, they should not charge $10/day for parking and $9.95/day for internet access in addition to the room rate. And skip the fitness room until they do some improvements, find a local gym.

This is a convenient hotel for business travel, with Enterprise Rental Car in the lobby, and it's across the street from the airport with a free shuttle to and fro, as well as within 3 miles of the hotel by arrangement. South Coast Plaza is very close. Lastly, I like having an outdoor area (balcony or patio) with my hotel room, and this hotel provides that- at least 15' x 5' of balcony. Most other hotels in this area appear to be glass-enclosed towers except the Hilton next door.

If you need luxury, look elsewhere until they completely refurbish the interiors, including the hallways. This is a Holiday-Inn quality room in a fun, funky nouveau-retro setting.

• Liked — Pool atmosphere; Staff
  • Disliked — Paying extra for parking/internet on top of high room fee for low-rent room
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2007

Our family stayed at the Atrium Hotel this past July. Our stay was free due to my husbands' company had a conference there. If I had to pay for my stay, I would have been a bit disappointed but because it was free; I tried to look for the positive attributes. First, the grounds in my opinion, took me back to a hotel that I stayed in on a vacation that I spent in Hawaii with my parents in 1969. The lobby had a decor of neutral colors, (mostly beiges and browns) with lots of hanging plants and a waterfall fountain. The pool area was acceptable with a bar with high cocktail tables and stools to sit on and several cabanas with cushioned chaise lounges which were in pretty good shape. It was landscaped with tropical plants and piped in music that reminded me of a forty year old Brazil 66 album I loved as a preteen. Our room was larger than I expected with furniture with a bamboo/wrought iron twist; (I believe the curtains had a bamboo-palm tree design). We had a large balcony that was surprisingly clean. The bathroom was a little weird as it looked as if someone began to remodel it but then was called to another job and did not return. One half of it was a very modern double sink vanity with a large mirror. There was a newish shower with odd beige wallpaper. Next to it was a doorway that led to an "older" style bathroom with another sink and the toilet; weird. Speaking of the toilet; the flush was so powerful that I was pretty startled the first couple of times I used it. The carpeting was in good shape and the desk in the room was not made of wood but of glass with black wrought iron legs and trim; sort of like fancy patio furniture. Overall, this hotel wasn't very good in my opinion but then again, not really bad.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2007

I haven't felt so cheated in a long time when I first entered the double bed room at the Atrium. Smelly, small, and awfully resembling an old motel room from the 70's... and to have an extra charge for both parking and Internet? Crazy.
Why pay so much for a room that looks and smells like a one star establishment when you can get a modern room with all the amenities, breakfast and Hi speed internet at the Courtyard by Marriott?! Hotels.com were nice enough to quickly cancel my stay with the Atrium and find me a fantastic deal with the Marriott. If you're looking for a "blast from the past" the Atrium awaits!

• Stayed June 2007
Silicon Valley
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2007

I spent two nights at this hotel on a business trip. The day of my arrival given a non somking room. However, when I walked in the room the smell of smoke was obvious. The room was so stuffy. The air conditioner was not working. Desk staff sent me maintenance to check the air condtioning after 30min of wait. Still after an hour it was not working. There no ventillation in the room. And the room was hot in June. The 2nd time I called the desk clerk to get me another room. He assured me to call me back. After I have not heard from him for 20min, went to the front desk there was no line just hotel clerk sitting. I demanded to get a new room, he was not sure and he needs to call the manager. The manager with out any greeting said to me in a very arrogant manner, "What is the problem to our rooms?". I replied, I requested a non-smoker room but the room smells smoke. He said we did book you in a non-smokers room, but previous guests might have smoked in the rooms. Manager never apologised for the inconvenience, just handed me a key for another room. This is a cheap hotel which professional people should never stay.
The doors handles are rusty, the carpets are dirty, and would never recommend or plan to stay here in the future.

• Liked — none
  • Disliked — ugle dirty rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank anthony_nix
Southern California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2007

We booked a room at the Atrium with hotels.com. The description and pictures of the hotel on hotels.com led us to believe that it was a decent 3 star hotel. When we arrived and checked into the place, we felt that we were greatly deceived. It was a CRUMMY hotel. Everything was old, door handles were rusty, carpet looked dirty, ironing board was stained. The gym was not operating. The walls were so thin we could hear the person next door who was talking at normal volume. The service at the front desk was wanting (very surly woman). They wanted to charge $10 a night for internet access -- when the hotels.com listing said there was "complimentary high speed internet access". We were greatly disappointed by this false advertising. If you need to stay in Irvine, pay the extra money and stay some place nicer.

• Liked — That I only had to stay one night.
  • Disliked — It was old and dingy.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2007

I had to stay here for business purposes. This is one of those hotels where the service is first class but alas, the rooms are not. My suggestion is stay here if you are occupied elsewhere during the day and the room acts as nothing more than a bed and bathroom. If you stay here with the intention of the hotel room and the grounds being part of your vacation, you may want to look into other hotels first.

The service: In a word-terrific. The staff, from the registration desk to the restaurant to the maintenance, was wonderful. They were polite and classy. When I dealt with them, I felt like it was the Ritz.

The room: In a word, motel-like. Clean but two adults will find it cramped. There is an iron at least, no blow dryer. No refrig. Small tv. Coffee machine is in the room. The big issue though is some rooms, including mine, had no thermostat or a/c unit. Bottom line, I could not control the temperature in the room!! I could open the sliding glass door but that was about it. I stayed when the weather was pleasant, I don't know how this room would be when the temperature drops. The walls are paper thin. Late one night, a round of "adult activities" in the room above me were as clear as though a movie was on my tv. I had never seen a shower/bath like this room had. It had a "mini-tub" with a shower head. The tub is about half the size of a standard one so the point is only small children can bathe, others must shower. At least everything worked so no complaints though as another reviewer hinted at, the room, including even the clock-radio and room entry "key," seems stuck in the 70's.

The "other": I ate one meal in the restaurant next to the lobby, just a Caesar salad, but it was decent. Location is right across from the Orange County airport. You can walk. Most of the guests seemed to be pilots and stewardesses. Also, there is a 24-hour gas station with snacks right next door. There are a couple of restaurants just beyond that, IHOP and El Torito, so getting meals without getting the car is possible. I did not use the pool,there is no jacuzzi. Parking is extra. My room was $99 a night, not including tax. That might explain why I was not put in the "updated" rooms as a co-worker of mine heard about.

Overall, I believe you stay here if you have a good reason to or just need a one night stayover before catching a flight. However, if you want to the room to be someplace you can kick back and relax or entertain the kids in, you may want to check out the reviews of other Irvine hotels first.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank clint52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Wyndham Irvine-Orange County Airport
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#10 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,486 reviews
Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach

Been to Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!