“One Great Deal!!”

Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Irvine
Atlanta, Georgia
“One Great Deal!!”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had stayed in a Candlewood Suites in Chicago a few years back and was not impressed but this one rivals some of the best hotels I have stayed in. You have no need to look any further as this place is it. Superb staff and superb rooms. There's no gratis hot breakfast but they do have food available for purchase. WiFi worked great and room had a huge work area. This Hotel earned their excellent rating from me!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time here and I love the new lobby/check in area! Updated and refreshing! The staff was great as they were last time. I will definitely stay again in the future when in the area for business.

• Stayed May 2013
San Jose, California
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel 2 times. I like their very quite and safe environment. Their staff are also very nice and warm heart. The room is clean and the equipment in kitchen is good enough. I also can borrow DVD for my night time. I for sure will live there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Irvine, California
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have stayed in this extended stay when I relocated to Irvine . value for money.clean rooms and good extended stay . dont expect great customer service ..its just average..safe area and value for the money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Temecula, California
Reviewed September 15, 2012

After enjoying a wonder Rascal Flatts concert at the Verizon Ampitheater in Irvine my wife and I didn't want to drive all the back to Temecula so we decided to stay at Candlewood Suites on Sand Canyon Ave. I had stayed there before a couple of years ago and things were fine. It's a completely different story now. I travel a lot and have seen it all so I normally have a Q&A protocol when I call to reserve a hotel room. Problem was I didn't follow my protocol this time and got burned. Don't let this happen to you. Red Flag #1. I called directly to the front desk to book the room and was immediately transferred to a 1-800 number. Next, I forgot to ask whether the hotel was undergoing any renovations.

By request, I was reserved a room with a king-sized bed for $84. Red flag #2: We arrived, checked in and immediately upon walking down the hallway to our room we could see that their were hundreds of one inch holes drilled at the bottom of the walls, carpet siding at the base of walls had been removed, large air dryers were on and there was "that smell" of water damage or who knows what. There was obviously some type of renovation going on. It was also clear from my last visit that things had changed at this hotel. It appeared a bit run-down.

Red flag #3: Upon entering our room we found a queen instead of the king bed we reserved. By then it was so late in the evening we just went to sleep without complaining. However, the "bait & switch" routine was clear. Further, an ethical front desk clerk should inform you that their hotel is undergoing renovations - or may have had water damage, mold issues or whatever.

Summary: I would avoid the Candlewood Suites Hotel if I could. There is a LaQuinta Hotel just up the road with a couple of restaurants next door right at the 405. Better choice.

Tip #1 - Always ask before you reserve a room in any hotel if they are doing any renovations.
If they are, you can easily negotiate a discount for your room; or decide not to stay there.

Tip #2 - Always confirm with the front desk your accomodations before you hand over your $$.
This is especially the case if you are sent to a 1-800 ph# to make your reservation.

Tip #3 - If you are not satisfied with the hotel or room, get your money back and leave; or
negotiate a discounted room rate the following day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DrRon1854
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Orange County, Irvine Spectrum, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear DrRon1854,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Irvine.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Irvine hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed July 18, 2012

As I travel throughout California this week, I have decided to offer business and leisure travelers my thoughts. Tonight is my first stay at this hotel property, and right away, I am impressed! The layout of the rooms are spacious, clean, and modern. The staff greeted and smiled at me as if I were a Hollywood VIP! Located off the I-405 Freeway at Sand Canyon Avenue, the Candlewood Suites is a nice alternative to high-rise hotels in the area. This subtle spectacle near the iconic Spectrum at Irvine is a home away from home. On yeah, I won two cupboard dollars upon check in! Spin the wheel of fortune as a Priority Club Member! Good luck!

Room Tip: Location was a little tricky to find even with GPS since a medical hospital shares the corporate par...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed here twice in the past year.

Location is by far the best thing about this hotel. It’s located right off the I-405 and just minutes away from the I-5. This makes getting anywhere inside Orange County a snap and a quick shot up to northern Los Angeles if needed. Your also minutes from a couple major shopping centers, which have Macy’s and Targets so getting supplies is very convenient.
Finding this hotel is not such a joy. It shares the entrance with a major hospital and you cannot actually see the property from the road. Navigation systems get confused as well and pretty much get you to the hospital entrance and then you’re on your own. The hotel is actually in the back. You take the hospital entrance and follow the winding road to almost the backside of the property. The hotel is on the left-hand side. For being by a major hospital, I never once heard a single ambulance, even far off.

I stayed in a one-bedroom unit, so I don’t know how much different the studio suites are, but I am told it’s basically the same, just a wall is added to separate the bedroom and living room. Overall the room was average, nothing to get overly excited. The brochure says the rooms include a kitchen. What you get is a two station electric hot-surface stove, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and toaster. They do include two placements of silverware for use and a dishwasher to easily clean. The appliances are what you would expect, usable, but some in need of replacement. The dishwasher loved to leak water and the ice machine inside the refrigerator did not work. The toaster worked fine, but the coffee maker was a nightmare, the light did work to say it was on and it did a great job of overflowing water and beans onto the counter. I was seriously tempted to buy a coffee maker for my limited stay.

The rest of the room was about average or standard. Sleeping will defiantly not be a problem as you’re surrounded by foliage and trees, which effectively block out noises from the street.
One appliance issue that actually plagued both rooms I have stayed in was the air conditioner. For whatever reason, both units leak water onto the floor under them. If you walk close to them after running for a couple hours, you get wet so be carefully putting anything around them. My biggest concern was any biological issues that could result from water under the rug from countless times running. Unfortunately, no one ever answered the maintenance line when I called.

One last note. Do not expect any maid service at this hotel, unless you’re staying over 7-days.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business