“Hotel Has Lost Its Edge”

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 20, 2013

As a diamond member, I have written some good reviews of this hotel in the past. But over the last 6 months, under its new management, the hotel just isn't the same. Prices are up, diamond member perks are down, including no paper delivery to room. Mistakes in billing and overall condition of the hotel is not the quality expected of a hotel adjacent to a major airport. And not having an executive lounge is questionable as the hotel is located in a major business district. While hotel management has taken away drink tickets for diamond members who stay many nights at the hotel, she offers free food/drink receptions to infrequent travelers. New breakfast set up is not convenient, with visitors backed up waiting to access the underwhelming buffet of watery scrambled eggs and overcooked meats. And we recently learned that although the hotel has signs stating it is a smoke free hotel, that may not be the case. There are rooms where people are allowed to smoke and they smoke outside the restaurant. AC/Heat system in room is much too large and disturbs sleep. On the positive, front desk and bar staff are exceptional. My associates and I have decided not to continue to give this hotel the majority of our stays and to spend more nights at the local Marriott ( with exec lounge) and Doubletree hotels. This hotel has lost its mojo.

Room Tip: Anything opposite airport and do make sure room is non-smoking if needed
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Great2TravelCA
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Great2TravelCA,

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and your loyalty to the Hilton brand. We regret to hear about your disappointment during your stay with us and we do extend our sincere apologies for the various challenges that you experienced. Our goal is to have each guest have an enjoyable stay, and we appreciate you taking your time to write a review, as well as sharing with us areas that may need improvements. We are continuously striving to provide the best service to our guests as well as making adjustments to enhance our overall guest experience. We hope you return and provide us with another opportunity to serve you in the future.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed one nite to attend a local jazz concert. Both check-in/check-out process was easy with no issues. Room was extremely clean. However, we had to ask for an additional bath towel since not enough was provided in room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you for the kind comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am happy to hear your experience of check in and checkout was seamless and that you were pleased with your room. I do sincerely apologize for the lack of towels and hope it was not a huge inconvenience. Most important I hope you enjoyed a terrific time at the jazz concert. I hope it was under the stars.

Should you find yourself in Irvine, CA in the near future, we hope you will once again choose our hotel.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My reservation was supposed to be paid for with a card on file. I had to wait for 1 hr for the transaction to be processed, the staff made me feel right at home and the manager with the Concierge named Eldred, made the best effort in helping me square everything away... Thank you, Gabe Navarro

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Gabe,

Thank you for the great feedback regarding your recent stay our hotel. I am delighted to hear you were met with our terrific staff at check in and that Edlred was of great assistance to you during check in. Eldred is a wonderful member of our Team who goes to great lengths to ensure our guest satisfaction. I will be sure to give him kudos and your note is greatly appreciated.

We hope that if travels bring you to Irvine in the near future, you will once again choose our hotel.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I hosted an event at this hotel in June and was very happy with the property and location. Although from the outside it looks old, the inside has been renovated and looks great.

In addition to hosting our Gala here, we also had several guest rooms. The rooms were well appointed and comfortable. Surprisingly, the nose from the airport was very minimal, which was great.

Unfortunately, since the event, the service has not been as good. In 5 weeks, not a single point has appeared on my Hilton Honors account. Even after numerous requests to the event/catering manager, nothing has appeared and no indication has been given to tell me what happened.

Given the amount of money we spent, I would have expected much better service in regards to this matter. It seems that once payment was received, the service stopped.

Overall, the experience was average. Had it not been for the post event lack of service, the rating would have been 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Moq44,

Thank you for the kind feedback regarding the experience of your event at our hotel. I do sincerely apologize for the delay in getting the points added to your account and am aware of a system wide failure that has just recently been corrected. I am truly sorry if this was not communicated to you. If you would please contact our office and provide us your information, we will be sure to expedite this request if it has not been deposited as of this date or if you would like to share additional comments, please feel free to call me direct.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our services and our accommodations and hope that you will consider us for future events. We would be delighted to welcome you back and ensure that we earn your 5 stars.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had several interactions with the front desk staff, most recent was Moala. She assisted us in an extension of our stay at the property and was very courteous and professional in her addressing our needs. This has been a consistent experience and certainly above what I expected. Will certainly consider this place first when in the area.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Kirk W.,

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed such a wonderful time at our hotel and that Moala was a part of that experience. It is very important for us to receive feedback such as yours and we strive to ensure each and every one of our guests enjoys a similar experience.

Thank you for the positive feedback and we certainly look forward to having you as a guest in the near future.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This was a very nice hotel - room was everything you would expect from a Hilton hotel (good size, comfortable, clean). The rooms were very quiet even though the hotel is just across the street from the airport. Check-in and check-out was very quick and efficient.

The only drawback was the $18/day parking. Unfortunately this is becoming pretty standard for hotels in this area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear DGK1234,

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I realize that parking fees can be inconvenient but are part of the business model in most hotels today and we are competitive.

I'm pleased that all other aspects of our hotel were met with your satisfaction and we definitely hope that if travels bring you to Irvine, CA in the near future, you will once again choose the Hilton Irvine Orange County Airport.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

At $18/day to self park I expect more parking spaces. We came back to our rooms around 10pm a couple nights and had to park very far away because they often have events going on.

Check-in was fast.
I was told there was a fridge in my room, there was not. The in room phone wasn't working and I had to use my personal phone to call. Someone finally brought in a fridge several hours later.

It's a little noisy during the day but what do you expect from a hotel that's right across from the airport?

Found out they allow pets at this hotel. We had the unpleasant experience of having a very loud dog (left unattended) in the room next to us. It barked excessively at the slightest sound (even when we flushed our toilet!). We called to complain and were told that the owner was not suppose to leave the pet unattended... well, they did for hours/day! We were also told that they called to leave a message for the owner. That's it. The dog did not stop barking. We just learned to be really quiet and just deal with the barking by not being in our room very much.

Comfy beds. Overall it is ok and we will be back, except we would request a room not near any pets.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Pearl N.,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent visit to our hotel. I do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. Please note that I have shared these comments with the appropriate Department Managers for follow up. Your comments are invaluable to us as it assists us in improving in the areas that are important to you, our valued guest.

I appreciate that you would consider our hotel once again and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back.