“Great location & price but Not a 4 Star Hotel!!”

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
GreenLeadersSilver level
Henderson, Nevada
“Great location & price but Not a 4 Star Hotel!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

This was our second time staying at this Hilton. Mainly because we were given it twice from Hotwire's special in which you get a very low price on a 4 star hotel in the area you are looking for but do not know the hotel until after you pay. Don't get me wrong, I stay in a lot of hotels for business and pleasure and this Hilton is nice! The staff was great, the rooms were clean, the lobby and pool was very nice. Also, the location is very convenient, right across from the airport. With that being said, this should not be classified as a 4 star hotel for one reason, the rooms!! The rooms have obviously been converted from an older style to newer style but the upgrades are obvious. There is still the old fashion air conditioning on the floor by the window but the controls have been removed and a wall thermostat added. We had the the 2 beds versus the king and the beds are definitely a double and no more!! Also the beds were not very comfortable. There is a glass sliding door that goes to a standing balcony but the doors are set up to not open more than about a foot. When I did try to open it, it took me 20 minutes to get the door back on the tracks because it was so old. The room decor is very nice as is the flat screen tv. The bathroom is nice but the shower looks like it has been upgraded because you stand so high in the shower you feel like you are in a camper!! Also, the only dirty thing we saw was the air vent into the bathroom that was located on the shower wall. It was so dirty that I couldn't take my eyes off it when in the shower!! Additionally, for some reason half the electrical outlets did not work in our room. I am a Hilton Honors Member and like Hilton Hotels as well as this specific hotel but let's be accurate on the star ratings. I would say 3 star at best. Lastly, be prepared for $18 self parking per day. This might be common in the area though.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay this month at the hotel. It was very informative to hear your thoughts on the property and I appreciate the details you have provided in your remarks. Feedback such as this really helps us in our planning for the future.

As a Hilton Honors member, I know you are familiar with the services provided by Hilton hotels across the country. It's nice to hear that you have enjoyed our hotel's staff and services, and the cleanliness of the rooms and property.

Again thanks for providing your impression of the property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
Irvine, California
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Second time this hotel in a year. Very nice layout. The rooms are great especially the large flat screen that has a excellent picture. The staff is very friendly and will do anything to satisfy you. Our internet wasn't working and they kept sending staff up till the problem was fixed. We didn't even expect that. The food was really good to. The few minor complaints we had was the gym needs a elliptical. This hotel is way to nice not to be up to date with a elliptical. Also I think $18 a night for parking is a little over the top. Its not even in a parking garage. The $3 vending machine soda is also a little excessive.

Room Tip: Try and get a room facing SW, the NE side has a view of a very ugly colored building.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments regarding your stay at the hotel this month. We appreciate the feedback you have provided us on a number of issues, as this enables our team to have a better understanding of where to focus our future efforts on improving the facilities and services at the property.

It's also nice to hear that you enjoy the guest rooms and the service provided by our staff. Those are vitally important to us in seeing that we meet all of your expectations and provide you a carefree stay.

Again thanks for your thoughts. We look forward to your next visit at the property in the near future.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Great accommodations and staff, these guys have helped me in the past when stranded and restaurant staff are excellent. Thanks Jorge, Betty, Ruben and Daniel from making my morning experience that much more pleasurable. You guys are the best!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thanks for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Irvine. I'm so pleased that you enjoy both the staff and the property.

It's very nice as well to hear your remarks about our restaurant staff. They are a great group and we are very proud of their service efforts.

We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soone.

Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This was my third stay at this hotel and my best visit to date. The hotel seems to have increased staffing and recently provided customer service training or something.... Much better service this time than previous two stays. Nice buffet breakfast wtih omelet station. Lobby bar and restaurant are typical for business type hotel. My TV did not work and within minutes maintenance arrived to fix it (was missing a cable cord). The hotel provides regular shuttle service to the airport - although it is close enough you could walk. Rooms are clean, nice bathroom accessories and self coffee maker.
Will stay here on next CA work visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your nice comments in response to your recent stay with us. It's nice to hear that about our staff, and that you feel our training efforts are aimed in the right direction. Providing top level service is our key focus, and I think our current staff does a great job of that.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. We think the prepared to order omelette station is a great addition to the typical hotel buffet.

Again it's terrific to hear that you like the hotel and will be staying here in the future. We'll be sure to do our part in making those future visits enjoyable.

Ottawa
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I checked in on April 4 10:46pm and the check-in agent and subsequently his manager missed on providing any customer service.

First, it started with me being denied any HHonors Gold benefits which was explained to me due to booking with a third party rather than Hilton directly. Now I have stayed at numerous Hilton properties throughout Canada and Eastern US and never once was I denied my status benefits. But it is not just the refusal for benefits which was an issue, but the manner in which they handled the situation. What I care about most is the complimentary WIFI as part of being Gold status. However, I was never asked what benefit would compliment my stay nor what my specific concern was. All I was told was no gold benefits, without any further details - blank stare at me.

Second, our reservation was for 3 people checking into the room and I asked for a stow away bed to be added but we were told that it is not possible as there is no space for it. We were given a 2 double bed room. Upon arriving to the room, we realized the double bed is quite small for 2 adults and the arrangement made no sense. We came up with a solution that a single king bed for 2 persons and a second stow away bed for 1 person made a whole lot more sense. So down we went to get our room changed to king as they allowed a stow away bed in that room.

Had the check-in agent or his manager thought more about our needs rather than focus all their attention into denying me benefits, I would've had a better experience. To make matters worse, I easily obtained complimentary WIFI as soon as I connected and chose "HHonors member" option and input my # and pin. Why couldn't they simply state that this is not an issue? (I did not know this option was added as before you connected with "charge to room" and charges were removed at check out). Why couldn't they explain that a stow away can be added to king and that a king room actually made more sense for our scenario? This is what customer service is about to any customer, let alone a frequent customer with Gold status in their loyalty program.

Not everyone lacked service. Daytime staff were in contrast and very pleasant. Rooms and hotel in general are in good shape and up to Hilton standards. Only complaint with the room was the AC unit which rattled loudly (plastic encasing with bad fit) which we "fixed" by stuffing cardboard in the loose joints.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your comments in response to your recent stay with us. I am sorry for any confusion regarding your Hilton Honors benefits. However it is Hilton Hotels policy that third party reservations are not eligible for Honors benefits and we do follow their national chain policy.

I do apologize for the delay in getting you a room that suited the needs of your party of three. The GSA may have initially thought you wanted a separate bed for each traveler, but obviously the King and rollaway were the best options that provided the most comfort for all.

We do appreciate your business and hope you will return in the future for a carefree stay.

Yorba Linda, CA
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This property missed a five star from me for one reason, but more on that later. I recently stayed here with my teenage daughters for two nights for a girls weekend shopping getaway. The hotel is directly across the street from John Wayne/Orange County Airport. The area is very clean and safe and the hotel is close to South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island Shopping Centers. Our room was clean and well appointed and when we asked to switch from one king bed to two doubles after the first night our request was handled swiftly and politely. Parking is $18 for self parking which is fine for the airport area but when we came back after a late dinner on Saturday night we had to park way in the back because parking is limited when the hotel is at capacity and all the spaces in the front are reserved for valet. Not cool when females are walking in a dark lot so that valets have the close spaces! Check-in was fast and the room was clean and well appointed. I did notice there were no pay per view movies on the tv which is weird for a hotel to me. We had breakfast in the small dining area adjacent to the bar and lobby. Seating is limited so be aware if you are having breakfast during a busy time at the hotel. Here is where they lost a star for me. On the two mornings we ate breakfast the area was staffed by people whose English is very limited. They had trouble understanding when we asked about the types of pastries (my daughter has food allergies) and seemed to confer before heading back to the kitchen (we could never get a clear answer to what type of muffins they were serving). It may seem like a minor inconvenience but if you are actively serving the guests at a public area in the hotel you should be able to communicate clearly with your guests. I would definately stay here again though, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tricia28
Tricia,

Thank you for your detailed response to your recent stay with us. It was very informative and is the type of feedback that enables us to focus our future efforts on those areas that require our attention.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and found it convenient for your weekend shopping adventures. South Coast Plaza and Fashion Island are two of the country's premier shopping areas, but yet are both unique in their own way. I'm glad you and your family had the chance to visit them.

I do apologize for the actions of our restaurant servers, and am sorry they were not able to help you in explaining the healthy food options available on the menu. I will address that with the manager in that department.

Again thanks so much for providing your comments. They are a great help.

Ojai, California
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Based on location, excellent reviews, pet friendly rules and truly superior customer service provided by Ms. Andrea Anderson, our company will be moving all its guest accommodation needs to the "Hilton by the John Wayne Airport!" When a problem arose from a reservation made through a major online service was unresolvable by that service, Ms. Anderson went above and beyond my expectations and her accountability to me to make it all right again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding Andrea and the service she provided you. She is wonderful at working with all of our guests to ensure that their needs are provided, and that all special requests are accomodated. I am so pleased to hear she was able to assist you and that everything was worked out to your satisfaction.

I noticed that you mentioned our pet friendly policies and I can assure you that our staff enjoys the fact that many of our guests like to bring their dogs with them on visits. There are great places and beaches for our "little guys" to visit in the area, and it makes it so enjoyable when you can bring them along.

It's great to hear that your company will be utilizing our hotel when your travel brings you to the Irvine area. We will work very hard to make sure that all of your staff's needs are met when staying with us, and that we contribute on our end to your business travel being both successful and worry free in the future.

Best wishes,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Hilton Garden Inn Irvine / Orange County Airport
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#10 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,512 reviews

Been to Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!