“I think they are running on a dial-up modem. No joke.”

Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport
Ranked #10 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“I think they are running on a dial-up modem. No joke.”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Very stylish lobby, I thought i was in for a treat. But that was pretty much the high note. Rooms are average, nothing to brag about. I do want to mention that they have huge flatscreen TVs, maybe even 50". Hotel is located across from the John Wayne airport. It is convenient for overnight stays.

Now the bad. The in-room wireless internet constantly cuts in and out. Even when it is in, the internet is slow. I think i just went back to the 90s because it feels like i am running on a choppy dial-up modem that loses connection every 3 minutes. With the advancement of wireless routers coupled with their rapid drop in price, there is no excuse for a hilton brand hotel in the city to have this level of internet access.

I will NOT return to this hotel on business. With everything being 'in the cloud', internet access is a basic necessity. A Hilton hotel without decent internet access is a shame!

Also, as a veteran Diamond member, i did not receive any Diamond benefits. No bottled water, no room upgrade, no greeting at check-in. Am I at a Hilton??

Since I can't work without internet access, i decided to try the fitness center. Great cardio machines but maintenance detail is lacking, the digital scale was out of battery rendering it useless.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason T
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Jason T,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. Please accept my sincerer apologies for the inconvenience of a spotty internet and lack of service you experienced. It is our intent to ensure the comfort and satisfaction of every guest and certainly acknowledge valued Diamond members such as yourself.

I have shared your comments with the Team and will address all the concerns indicated in continued efforts to improve our product and services.

If travels bring you to Irvine, CA again, we hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our commitment.

Warmest Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel and it's staff is amazing!! They took care of all my needs for the night. If I checked their prices online prior to making other reservations elsewhere, I would have stayed there every night rather than stay elsewhere. They had an incredible room that was spacious and had excellent water pressure. Other hotels did not compare to the Hilton in Irvine, California.
I was able to use the Internet in the lobby without a cost. The breakfast buffet was delectable as it came with an omelet station, which allowed the diner to choose various toppings to add to the entree. The server Betty took care of all my needs during the meal as did the hotel staff.
I would highly recommend the Hilton chain for your stays in southern california!

Room Tip: Be nice to your customer representatives as they have a difficult job handling all the guests needs...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear N W,

Thank you very much for your positive review of our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the many aspects of our facility from our warm and professional guest services, well appointed accommodations and our highly acclaimed omelet station. I must say that feature is a real treat to many and glad you had the opportunity to enjoy it.

Should travels bring you once again to Irvine, CA, we hope that you will once again choose the Hilton Irvine/Orange County. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best wishes for a bright and prosperous New Year!
Palm Harbor, FL
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This hotel is located across form the John Wayne Airport. Great location for business travel. Food and service were good. Would stay here again. On-site parking is expensive however but they have a free shuttle to/from the airport.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear InterntlTraveler10,

Thank you kindly for the great review of our hotel. I am happy to hear you truly enjoyed our location and our services.

If travels bring you to Irvine, CA in the near future, we hope that you will once again choose the Hiton Irvine/Orange County Airport.

Wishing you and yours a Bright, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!
Minneapolis
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at this property on the recommendation of a co-worker. Upon checking and requesting a quiet room, I was able to get access to my room around noon which was a nice accommodation. Upon entering my room I noticed that there was a lot of hair on the floor of the bathroom and in the tub. I called down to the front desk to inform them and they stated they would send housekeeping up. That worked for me as I was leaving the property for a work meeting. I returned at 10:00 pm to find that housekeeping never came to my room. The next morning at 8:30 there was banging and pounding around my room which I initially thought was housekeeping in a room around me. I looked out my window to find construction workers removing part of the siding of the building right below my room. I had multiple conference calls to take from my room which was not going to be productive with all the noise. I also went to make coffee in the morning and there was no coffee pot in my room, only the tray with the coffee packets and cups.

I contacted the front desk and the response back on the housekeeping issue was "Yes, you talked to me yesterday about the issue, sorry, no one is perfect" and to the lack of a coffee maker "Why didn't you tell us last night." On the construction noise I was informed "Well at least it didn't start until 9:00." At this point I decided to move to another Hilton property for the rest of my business trip.

Side note, the restaurant has a limited lunch menu but my fish tacos were good as was my co-worker's sandwich. The breakfast buffet was average. The complimentary shuttle service from the airport and to a 3 mile radius around the hotel was nice amenity.

With the less than stellar staff attitude and the noise from the planes that you can hear through the windows in your room I would recommend staying else where. There are many hotels that offer complimentary airport shuttle service just down the road.

1 Thank Travelseeker1125
Dear Travelseeker1125,

First and foremost please accept my sincere apologies for your less than memorable stay at our hotel. I read with dismay the many areas we failed you and for that I am truly sorry. I have shared your comments with the Team and with the appropriate department heads to ensure similar incidents are avoided and we are consistently providing quality service to you, our valued guest, every day, every stay.

Your feedback is invaluable to us in our continuing efforts to ensure we are adhering to the Hilton principles and more importantly that we are meeting your standard and your satisfaction.

I hope that if travels bring you to Irvine, CA again, you will give us another opportunity and if you contact me direct, I am happy to give your reservation my personal attention.

Warmest Regards and all the best to you and yours for a Bright, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed December 20, 2012

You can walk from the airport ( across the street ) or they will come and pick you up. Close to South Coast Plaza and easy freeway access.
Room was large and the bed warm and comfy. Another nice Hilton hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the airport.
Dear ChrisandHolli,

Thank you kindly for your great review of our hotel and services. I do agree that we are ideally situated not only to John Wayne Airport but to so many attractions and much more. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. We hope that if travels bring you to Irvine, CA again you will once again choose the Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport.

All the best for a bright and prosperous New Year!
Florida, Uruguay
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This Hilton was perfect. I flew into orange County Airport for a 2 day meeting at another hotel in the vicinity. Once I landed, I was able to easily walk to this Hilton from the airport within 5 minutes. I checked in early (thank you!) and was provided with water, my bonus Hilton points as a Diamond member, and a free drink coupon. The concierge was very friendly and offered me directions to the other Hotel where my meeting was (Marriott Hotel). The walk was quick, and safe, and I appreciated the exercise, although the Hilton also has a complimentary shuttle. It is much safer to walk around here than at LAX hotel locations, and there are plenty of sidewalks which make it safe for pedestrians. There are also many local restaurants around the Hilton Hotel Area. After my meeting, it was once again quick access to the Orange County Airport. In the future I will strongly consider utilizing the Orange County Airport and this Hilton for my business appointments in Irvine. Thanks Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport for a great stay.

Room Tip: The King room was spacious with a very comfortable bed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dolores E, General Manager at Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear ckckckckckck,

Thank you very much for the kind comments regarding your recent stay at out hotel. I am extremely pleased to hear that our many features starting with our warm hospitality, amenities, location all met with your complete satisfaction. I know our staff will be delighted to know they were part of your memorable experience.

Should travels bring you to the Irvine, CA area again, we sincerely hope you will once again choose the Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport. Many thanks again!

Wishing you and yours a very Warm and Happy Holiday Season!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have stayed in the Hilton by John Wayne airport in Irvine now 4 times, and each time I have been impressed by the down home and friendly service. The rooms are nice size with modern electronics, the bar is very casual, and breakfast buffett excellent; either full cooked to order or buffett with lighter fruit and yogart option. Plus, close to 405, resturants, gas, and shopping.

Room Tip: Ask about AAA or best rate avalible....I have been able to get $125/nite reates regularly here.
Dear Jerry P.,

Thank you for the kind comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I am very happy to hear our friendly service and outstanding amenities are key reasons for your return visits. I must agree that our location and proximity to the airport, attractions and shopping venues are a big plus.

Should travels continue to bring you to this area, we sincerely hope you will once again choose the Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport.

Wishing you and yours a Warm and Happy Holiday Season!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Irvine
Wyndham Irvine-Orange County Airport
#9 of 22 in Irvine
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Hilton Irvine/Orange County Airport? Share your experiences!