Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport
GreenLeadersBronze level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Not good”
Reviewed November 26, 2008

Booked this hotel on Hilton's site;

What I was promised:

Good rate, free high speed wireless internet (this was important, while I needed to access the computer)

What I got:

Remote control for tv not working, (can't change channels.)
Bathroom fan did not work.
Plenty of parking, but they insisted that I park in the parking garage. (I was charged extra $15 for parking!)
I made a local call --4 minutes, to area code 714--, and was charged $10 extra!
The Free wireless high speed internet...did cost me $10 extra!

They were not interested how my stay was. Well, they did find out now. Not good.

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank ray5100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Irvine
Reviewed November 16, 2008

This is a nice clean hotel next to John Wayne Airport and across from our favorite fine Italian restaurant Tuscany Mediterranee Grill

we love statying here, near everything just off of 405 freeway.15 min to beach,rooms are clean staff is friendly ,they have free shuttle from the airport,quiet street,parking is not free,breakfast was okay but not great
over all it is a good value

• Liked — Next to our favorite restaurant Tuscany grill
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank AmerTurk
Tansz
Reviewed October 21, 2008

We stayed two nights at this hotel last weekend.
I was very impressed with everything about this hotel.
It has been recently renovated.

The lobby was very lovely and quiet. We were upgraded to a corner suite and it was HUGE! The living area was furnished with a large TV, couch, and chair. There was a mini fridge and microwave that were stainless steel (very classy). The counters
were marble/granite and we had a coffee maker w/gourmet coffee.

The bathroom was HUGE. Marble counters and extremely clean.
I am very picky when it come to hotel bathrooms and I give this one 5 stars.

We had a double room with two double beds. Very nice mattresses and pillows. There was a big TV in the bedroom, too.

There is a nightly free happy hour from 5:00 to 7:00 PM. All you can drink cocktails, wine, beer, and snacks.

There is a free cook to order breakfast in the mornings. The omlettes were very good. The buffett items were a little cold and stale.

There is a free shuttle to the South Coast Plaza.
Raul was our driver and he was awesome. I have never had
such great customer service that was so genuine and warm.
He is a gem.

The hotel is very close to the John Wayne airport and they offer
free shuttle service there as well.

I will always stay at this hotel when in the area.

• Liked — Raul (Driver)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
SF Bay Area, CA
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I bid through Priceline and ended up with this Embassy Suites. I was pleased, as it was in easy walking distance to my place of business. I phoned the hotel from the courtesy phones near the baggage claim at SNA and the shuttle picked me up within 10 minutes. The room was nice -- a relatively new microwave and refrigerator, updated bathroom. There were 2 free small water bottles (for Hilton Honors members) - a nice touch. The lighting was a bit inadequate throughout the suite. Pillows were huge and a bit uncomfortable. The breakfast, as most reviewers note, was good and typical of Embassy Suites. The lines for the cooked-to-order food can get long, so plan accordingly. I checked out the manager's reception one night; beer selections are as you would expect for freebies (Bud or Bud Light) but seemed worth the effort if you like a free cocktail in the evening (well drinks). (There were teenage sports team members enjoying Shirley Temples.) The snacks included nachos, nuts, and veggie sticks. The shuttle is available for a 3-mile radius and I heard fellow travelers taking it to South Coast mall. McCormick & Schmick's and the incorporated Bayhawk Ales tap room (good IPA, great happy hour appetizer deals) are a quick walk across the street. The staff was accommodating -- I arranged a late check out with no problem and took the quick shuttle back to the airport. I just found out that Hilton Honors gave me points, even though I booked through Priceline.

• Liked — Location for business; free local shuttle
  • Disliked — Lighting; pillows; beer selection at manager's reception
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 11, 2008

We stayed at the Embassy for two nights in May for an extended weekend. The hotel is a standard business hotel in the middle of a business area. If you have a car you will have to use it. There is only one restraunt within walking distance and it was quite pricey. We were on an extended weekend family trip with two college agers and one teen. The room was a standard size but tucked back in the corner and only had windows on the back side of the room facing the parking structure. It seemed very cave like. Be aware of the excessive parking charges of 13 dollars a day. The breakfast was delicious and cooked to order. Our room was reasonalbly priced as it was the weekend and rooms are higher on weekdays. Overall I would stay again but not in the room we had.

• Liked — price and location
  • Disliked — charge for internet and location of room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I thought the room was great,although the pillows were really foamy, not feathery. The suite setup is large. Decor not so great, but what avg. hotel decor is? The breakfast was great, the happy hour was great, you can walk to McCormick and Schmicks across the street. It is the OC, land of office parks and chain restaurants, after all!

I did not like that the fitness room opened at 7am. I never got to use it,as I had 8am meetings both days,and dinners in the evening.

There was major construction going on, which got noisy and limited access to amenities,but with the restaurant across the street it made it bearable. Maids were great, replaced all soaps, shampoos daily. (you'd be surprised how many don't... a peeve of mine when you're running out!)

• Liked — The suites were large. Cook to order omelettes. happy hour.
  • Disliked — the pillows were not too comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
San Diego
Reviewed February 9, 2008

I stayed here the weekend of Feb. 1st while on business at Alliant University. I thought the hotel was just fine (your regular Embassy Suites), but it is going through remodeling right now. I was warned of this on the hotel website. The lobby area and atrium were undergoing re-construction, and the pool and exercise room were closed (this too I was warned about before hand on the hotel's website). It didn't turn out to affect my stay much because I was never in my room during the day. By the time I would get back to my room in the late evening, the workers had gone home and all was quiet. Nonetheless, people should know about this remodeling, and only stay there right now if they are willing to tolerate this inconvenience.

I must have gotten one of the newly remodeled rooms. My room was very large. It had a nice new stainless steel mini fridge and microwave. The bathroom was nice and new with granite counters and new tub. Linens and carpet also looked nice and new.

My husband and daughter accompanied me and went to Disneyland during the day while I was at work. It's about a 10 mile drive on freeways to Disneyland. So, not the closest place to stay if you are going to Disneyland, but it worked for us. I joined my husband and daughter at night to eat at Downtown Disney.

Breakfast was great. I was surprised that there wasn't a big line of people for the made-to-order omelettes. One of the things I haven't liked about staying at Embassy Suites in the past is that even though their breakfast menu is relatively extensive (more than continental) it's also super busy with all of the hotel guests. This was not the case here. Although it could have been that there just weren't that many guests staying here because of the constuction. I didn't ever make it to the manager's reception, nor did I try the restaurant.

Overall, it was a fine stay, but folks should be forewarned about the remolding going on for the next few months.

• Liked — It was close to where my business meeting was, and it is close to John Wayne Airport
  • Disliked — Undergoing remodeling
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business