“There's something fishy about Taiko”
Review of Taiko

Taiko
Ranked #34 of 659 Restaurants in Irvine
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Irvine, California
“There's something fishy about Taiko”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We've dined at Taiko many times and find it to be consistently excellent. We especially enjoy being seated at the sushi bar, however, one must play the logistics game exceedingly well in order to have that happen. Usually we have to settle for table seating since Taiko has a hard core group of regulars (fanatics) who literally camp outside their doors for several hours before opening in order to secure a seat at the bar. Some even take it to an extreme, and have their favorite sushi chef, so getting in line hours ahead of opening is key to not only being seated at the bar, but in front of your favorite chef. If you're not willing to do that, you can easily wait for 45 minutes for a table where the sushi is still good, but not as good as the sushi bar experience.

The sushi is reasonably priced, and always seems to be fresh and tasty. We'll continue to frequent Taiko as the staff are all friendly and seem to work very hard to serve all of their repeat customers, many of whom have been dining there for years.

• Visited October 2013

San Clemente, California
“Lunch with my Dad”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I went to Lunch at Taiko. I have been coming to this place since around 1985. The man at the front desk has not changed much. They are always very busy at Lunch. We both enjoyed our food. We both enjoyed our food. The service was fast and the amount of food we got was a lot. This restaurant is very consistent. Their sushi is also really good. I had a Tuna Steak and chicken. I think it was $9.50. I will return again.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Omar N
Aliso Viejo, California
“Enormous portions”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I haven't eaten here in a awhile but service is still above par with very friendly service from host and sushi chefs. Sushi portions are larger than I remember, don't have to order much to be full.

• Visited August 2013
Newport Beach, California
“More authentic than Tokyo”
Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Few better lunches can be had than this classical, authentic Japanese sushi house. My beef teriyaki came with some of the best miso I've tasted, and other appropriate tagalong items were exemplary. Whether you sit at the sushi bar or one of the tables, you're guaranteed exceptional value for your dollar. Could not be more highly recommended in the Irvine/Newport area.

• Visited June 2013
Yorba Linda, California
“Best chicken teriyaki ever , sushi is incredible too”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is one of those restaurants you almost hate to tell people about. The lines are long enough already. We have been coming here for over 10 years. I don't pretend to be a sushi expert . I just love the fact that the fish is fresh and tastes great. The prices are beyond fair . I love the fact they have great combination plates . The plates are loaded with food. usually comes as a 3 item combo . typical items are salmon teriyaki , chicken cooked in various ways . Vegetable tempura , Shrimp tempura , sashimi . The teriyaki sauce is made from scratch and its the best ive ever had. They tenderize the chicken breasts so they are uniformly thin and then grilled. yum. They start you off with the miso soup . The best ive had. Along with the 3 entrée combo they give you a small portion of green beans ( worst part of the meal) . A salad is also included in the meal. So so for the salad. The rolls are incredible. My wife and I usually split one and get a California roll and that's perfect for us. Its in a center with lots of other Japanese restaurants , just look for the one with the long line that's Taiko.

• Visited April 2013