“When you like it hot...hot...hot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Mongolian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Newcastle, Australia
“When you like it hot...hot...hot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I had never had a hot pot before. I was sharing my love for spicy Asian food with a Chinese Ph.D. student and she told me "You'll love have hot pot". "Well" I answered " what is hot pot?". "There's a restaurant in Irvine where they make it..." So, there we went, a party of 12, sitting around two hot plates where the hot pot boils. The broth is loaded with hot pepper, and spicy. Then you order vegetables, tofu, a variety of thinly sliced meat, mushroom, noodles and dip all in the boiling pot. It is fun, when you are so many. Just be careful to bring with you some baby wipes. You have chop sticks, and it is easy to splatter sauce on your clothes...unless you are skilled...or Chinese. I love tofu, so, for me, it was tofu galore. I lost count of how many slices I dipped in the pot and ate, but at the end of the evening my belly felt pretty full. Still, I slept very well. So, it must have been good. We had a lot of fun. It bonds friendship when you are around the same hot pot and all dip their chopstick and retrieve the food from the boiling concoction. You are sharing more than a nice night out together.
The ambient is not particularly beautiful, it is a standard restaurant with little pretense of elegance, just a tad bit. Pricing is reasonable, and, I should say, good value for money if you include the fun.

• Visited July 2012