“A beauty spot in the middle of Irvine”

San Joaquin Wildlife Santuary
Ranked #3 of 48 things to do in Irvine
Reviewed November 26, 2013

It is easily missed, but when you find it, it's lovely. This is a low key, undeveloped spot. Nice for a walk or a picnic. But we always see something interesting.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Excellent facility, very well maintained. I went there a few days ago (in August) for the birding opportunities. Be aware that your navigation device may give you the wrong directions as to how to approach the entrance. Some construction has blocked the main route. From the 405 you have to come in on Campus Drive, make a U-turn at University and then a right into the facility. Visit the website for more specific directions. It's free. Its open from dawn to dusk.

As you arrive you come upon the local Audubon chapter's small headquarters, complete with a bird library, bird books for sale, a helpful volunteer, and a board showing the most recent unusual bird sightings. There are a number of small ponds scattered around the very large property. Pick up a map at the Audubon office.

When I was there I saw many water birds, making the trip very worthwhile. For me the highlight was a pair of White-faced Ibis. Also enjoyed the Wilson's Phalaropes. This facility is next to a sewage treatment plant, and the water in the ponds is from the plant, but it is all very clean and first class. Trails are all excellent and well marked. A lot of dense vegetation on the site, all native. Bring your walking shoes, there are miles of trails, all within a densely populated urban area. Trails and ponds are well marked.

2  Thank Skytrekker
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went on a wildlife walk that is held the first Saturday of the month at 9:00 am. It is a short drive off the 405 Fwy in Irvine. We mostly did bird watching, but the walk around the water reservoirs was different from the beach wetlands. The grasses were taller than me, so it was fun to walk around. It is an easy walk, but because we were bird watching, we were going slow. We also had photographers in our group also. It was nice get away.

Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I accidentally stumbled upon this place during a bike ride. What a lovely oasis of marsh life! The first time I went I saw a huge bird eating a fish near the waters edge. He was beautiful. The second time I got up close to an egret and watched him nonchalantly catching small fish for his breakfast. This place is a real gem and easily accessible to anyone who lives here in Irvine or beyond. Really great access to lots of bird life and they are not as skittish around people.

1  Thank campfamily50
Reviewed March 11, 2013

this is a beautiful places and I saw tons of wildlife. I love the trails and the views. Lots of migratory birds and waterfowl to be seen.

1  Thank riski253