“Unique rooms, some features counterintuitive”

SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We needed a place to stay in Irvine specifically and used our Marriott reward points for a night at this hotel.

Booking: Interestingly enough, I booked the hotel days before Marriott changed its hotel category. I didn't know this and when I went to order my e-certificate after the switch, I couldn't because it was 5,000 points more (the original category required 15,000, and the new requirement is 20,000). I got it sorted out with Marriott Rewards customer service, but honestly if I had used 20,000 points for this hotel, I think I would've felt a little ripped off.

Location: Very close to the airport. We didn't travel by air so this didn't matter, but I can see how air travelers would find this location convenient. There aren't any restaurants within walking distance (the hotel sits next to a freeway entrance, so no pedestrian access), but if you have a car you can cross under the freeway and there's a Rubio's, Togos, Starbucks, and other quick serve restaurants on the other side in an office plaza.

Check-In: We checked in around 1:00 p.m. and our room was ready. I had called ahead of time and learned our room wasn't ready, but the front desk associate was helpful and arranged a room for us prior to arrival. We were traveling with a toddler and requested a crib in the room. There is only one set of elevators in the entire hotel so park accordingly.

Room Service: This hotel partners with LA Dines (a delivery service), but there are limited delivery times. We were interested in using the service but unfortunately we fell outside of their delivery times.

Room: The room on third floor was spacious and clean, with a separate "living" area partitioned by the desk and a frosted window/screen attached to the desk. This was helpful at night when our toddler slept, as we put the crib on this side of the room. The bathroom was interesting, to say the least. There are two sliding wooden doors - behind door #1 was a pedestal sink and toilet. There's a small, small shelf behind the toilet that is expected to hold - I don't know, a towel? But there is no place to put a towel NEAR the sink - no hook, nothing.

Door #2 had a stand-up shower, and a regular sink with counter space. There was a hook with a small amount of towels, which was ironic because I believe I requested extra towels on the reservation. I was greeted by a (live) spider in the shower. After my shower, I looked for the hair dryer and finally found it in the armoire, on the top shelf next to the extra blanket.

Breakfast: Turkey sausage, eggs, bagels, cereals, etc. Not bad and they kept it well-stocked during breakfast hours.

Overall: I think this place met our needs and we had no major issues. But, I probably wouldn't have booked it at 20,000 points, which is why I selected the "average" rating.

Room Tip: Park close to the elevator
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank aztravlgrl

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Clean/modern rooms, good housekeeping, wi-fi was good, but not super fast. Nice gym and small indoor pool. Close to the highways and it was easy to get around. Plenty of good food nearby and malls, about 20 minute drive to Newport Beach.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our first time at a Springhill Suites and we really enjoyed it. Unfortunately we only had one night. We arrived very early and I didn't expect to be given access to our room but we were which was great. The rooms are lovely and as another reviewer said, it is much more than just a room. Loved the separate toilet with sink, the walk in glass shower, the modern fixtures. The king size bed was very comfortable and the sofa and tv were all very nice. It had a fridge and a microwave as well. Convenient for shopping and the beach and the airport. Another lovely touch is that there are individual reading lamps on the head board which meant I could read while my husband slept. Great idea! The breakfast was very good, lots of choices, Lovely muffins too. The coffee was good. I can't think of a negative thing to say about this hotel. We were even given an extra hour after check out as our flight was not until evening. Would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Our room on the top floor faced the main road but it was very quiet with the windows closed. Perha...
1  Thank catloverSotogrande
David A, Manager at SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel. It was a pleasure for me to hear you enjoyed your stay. I'm also pleased that you liked the breakfast, room layout and design. Many of our guest appreciate our separate toilet and shower bathroom concept.

Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We wanted a place close to Newport Beach but without the higher price. This is a well maintained property and the service was cheerful and prompt. It is close to the airport but not so close that the air traffic was a noise problem. It is a short drive to South Coast Plaza and many good places to eat and shop. You can drive down Red Hill to the Back Bay in 10 minutes and walk or jog as many miles as you like. Just take a left at University and park. If you want the full trip around the Back Bay it is about 9 miles.

1  Thank Gene H
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Room was newly decorated. Lobby has the new spring hill decorating. Breakfast area was clean and roomy. Great free breakfast. Free parking. Close to airport and major highways. Will stay there again when I am in Irvine.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed there for three nights from May 3 to May 6, 2013 and the hotel completely exceeded our expectations. This is the first time we stayed at a SpringHill Suites and we chose this property because its location was convenient to the places we needed to go to. At $115 a night, we didn't expect much but what we got blew us away.

The room is not just a hotel room. Our room is modernly decorated. It has a king-size bed, a separate living area with a couch and a workstation, a separate shower area, and toilette. Everything seems very new and clean. Since this location is near the airport and our room was on the third floor, we were concerned about airplane noise but we heard none of that. We slept well every night on the comfortable bed.

What else do we like about this facility? How about free parking, wifi, and an awesome hot breakfast. We did not have time to use the pool nor the exercise room so I have no comments on those. What needs improved? the elevators could use new carpet.

We would definitely consider staying at a SpringHill Suites next time we're on the road.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
David A, Manager at SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Bo C

Thank you for your very nice comments regarding your recent stay at Springhill Suites Irvine. As a person in the hospitality industry it gives me a great deal of satisfaction to hear that a guest enjoyed the room accommodations and service at our hotel. This means that "we did our job!)

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is not a resort, and not the focus of a family on vacation. Rather, it is for the business traveler on a moderate budget. In this category it is a home run. Clean and comfy room. Very good work space within the room. Lobby breakfast very decent, and "business center" (Here, just 2 computers and a printer) was in excellent condition. Health club is small. Pool but no hot tub. Free parking. Right off the 55 freeway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank motohigh

Dear Motorhigh

Thank you for your comments and observations regarding our suites, breakfast, pool, business and fitness center. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed our hotel. Our goal at Springhill Suites Irvine is to meet and exceed the hotel expections of all our guest. We sincerely appreciate the time you took to give us your feedback, as this lets us know what we are doing right and what we can do to improve our products and services.

Thank you for staying with us.