We needed a place to stay in Irvine specifically and used our Marriott reward points for a night at this hotel.
Booking: Interestingly enough, I booked the hotel days before Marriott changed its hotel category. I didn't know this and when I went to order my e-certificate after the switch, I couldn't because it was 5,000 points more (the original category required 15,000, and the new requirement is 20,000). I got it sorted out with Marriott Rewards customer service, but honestly if I had used 20,000 points for this hotel, I think I would've felt a little ripped off.
Location: Very close to the airport. We didn't travel by air so this didn't matter, but I can see how air travelers would find this location convenient. There aren't any restaurants within walking distance (the hotel sits next to a freeway entrance, so no pedestrian access), but if you have a car you can cross under the freeway and there's a Rubio's, Togos, Starbucks, and other quick serve restaurants on the other side in an office plaza.
Check-In: We checked in around 1:00 p.m. and our room was ready. I had called ahead of time and learned our room wasn't ready, but the front desk associate was helpful and arranged a room for us prior to arrival. We were traveling with a toddler and requested a crib in the room. There is only one set of elevators in the entire hotel so park accordingly.
Room Service: This hotel partners with LA Dines (a delivery service), but there are limited delivery times. We were interested in using the service but unfortunately we fell outside of their delivery times.
Room: The room on third floor was spacious and clean, with a separate "living" area partitioned by the desk and a frosted window/screen attached to the desk. This was helpful at night when our toddler slept, as we put the crib on this side of the room. The bathroom was interesting, to say the least. There are two sliding wooden doors - behind door #1 was a pedestal sink and toilet. There's a small, small shelf behind the toilet that is expected to hold - I don't know, a towel? But there is no place to put a towel NEAR the sink - no hook, nothing.
Door #2 had a stand-up shower, and a regular sink with counter space. There was a hook with a small amount of towels, which was ironic because I believe I requested extra towels on the reservation. I was greeted by a (live) spider in the shower. After my shower, I looked for the hair dryer and finally found it in the armoire, on the top shelf next to the extra blanket.
Breakfast: Turkey sausage, eggs, bagels, cereals, etc. Not bad and they kept it well-stocked during breakfast hours.
Overall: I think this place met our needs and we had no major issues. But, I probably wouldn't have booked it at 20,000 points, which is why I selected the "average" rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The SpringHill Suites Irvine hotel is located less than 2-miles from John Wayne Airport (SNA) off the Costa Mesa Freeway in the heart of Orange County. Travelers will appreciate our Irvine hotel's free: airport shuttle, WiFi, and daily breakfast buffet. The SpringHill Suites Irvine hotel offers spacious suites with plush Marriott bedding, a comfortable separated living area with a sleeper sofa and work desk, a wet-bar with mini-fridge and microwave, and a 37" HDTV featuring 12 HD channels such as CNN and ESPN. We feature onsite amenities like a 24-hour fitness center, indoor heated pool, putting green, 24-hour business center, and onsite event space. Our central location between Santa Ana and Irvine offers easy access to popular attractions like Newport Beach, the OC Event Center, and UC-Irvine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline and getaroom.com so you can book your SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Springhill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County Hotel Irvine
- SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County CA