SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Irvine
yukhojo
“No Housekeeping”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

i had an extended stay @springhill suites on 17601 fitch road in irvine, ca for the holidays. on Jan 1, i placed the no disturb note on the room but took it off when i left the room @1145am. i came back @420pm with my room still unserviced. i called front desk and was told housekeeping go until 530pm. 1h45min later, i went down to front desk and was told bec the sign was on the door, it meant i didnt want the room serviced. i mentioned that was never my experience in other hotels including marriott-owned properties and i was told that this is their policy in this facility. i am a seasoned traveler, both for business and leisure and this response is just not acceptable. have the rules changed? if i am on a business trip and am in a meeting, i would put that sign out to avoid distraction and normally houskeeping would come back at a later time but never completely unserviced. is this a rule that is left to the individual facilities' interpretation? This really puts a wrinkle in an otherwise uneventful experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I arrived late on the evening of 12/14/2012. I selected this spot because of its proximity to John Wayne Airport and it enabled me to catch a 6:00 AM flight with no problem.

When I arrived there were a large number of teens hanging around in the lobby. It was a situation the desk clerk should have prevented in that they seemed to be attempting to see who was checking in and seemed to be paying attention to my transaction.

The desk clerk changed shifts while I was checking in and I wound up on the 4th floor when the new clerk realized the 3rd floor where I had been slated to go was also populated with kids running around.

Now, I have to say I'm not a cranky fellow, I just don't feel that kids should be hanging around hotel lobbies and running the hallways at 11:00 PM.

Anyway, my room was very clean, well appointed, and everything worked as it should. I had to depart at 5:00 AM in order to catch my flight so my visit was brief but satisfactory once I got to my room.

Also, I found adequate and convenient parking as well as Wi-Fi.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was traveling with a co-worker that is a loyal Marriot rewards point member, while I usually prefer Starwood hotels. I figured it wasn't a big deal and thought I'd give this hotel a shot so we could share a rental car and not have to worry about driving to separate hotels every day. Unfortunately, this hotel is horrible. He picked it based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and I'm not sure why it gets such high reviews. Maybe the lower rate clouds people's judgment? Not really sure.

Here is my impression -- this hotel (and I'm guessing chain) is really a dressed up motel that is trying to hard to be trendy, yet falls way short. The hotel itself is in a horrible location -- you hear a ton of road noise and planes from the nearby airport. Noise is usually not an issue when at stayed at other hotels near John Wayne Airport -- so there is something about the location / construction that amplifies the sounds at this particular hotel. I can sleep standing up, but the noise definitely challenged me during this stay. On top of that, the hotel is extremely humid and musty smelling. They do their best to mask the mold/mildew smell with some sort of noxious scent in the A/C unit. The person who decided to put this in needs to get their sense of smell checked out. The beds aren't comfortable and there was some sort of round log pillow thing that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in ages. The rooms are also just odd in their layout and the walls are paper thin. I could hear the person in the room next door pulling TP off the roller while I was still in bed.
The free breakfast is mediocre at best. I'd rather pay for better quality food than eat what they put out in the morning.

Anyhow, I hope some travelers that expect a decent night sleep in an above average hotel read this review and take notice before booking a stay here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank seven21
seemsters, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
I would first like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share such candid feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We truly appreciate and value your concerns. I am very sorry that you were disappointed in the comfort of your guest room and I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Here at SpringHill Suites Irvine we do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay and leave our doors with a smile on their face, with the intent to stay with us again. We will use your comments as we continuously work to improve our guest experience. We have addressed your concerns with our hotel associates. I hope that next time you’re in the area; you’ll visit us again and experience the level of quality accommodations you expect and deserve from Marriott.

Seema B.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Indoor pools are atypical for Southern California, but a welcoming amenity on cooler days here (50-70F days). Typical Springhill Suites, modern, free breakfast, newer /modernized rooms that have both a toilet room separate from a shower room. I especially liked the putting green in the back which is a fun thing to do with kids. Check with front to borrow equipment (as it is more play equipment).

Customer service was okay... would I stay here again... YES if the Residence Inn down the street is booked. ** Note : dining options have to be driven to. There is nothing within walking distance.

Room Tip: In an industrial area, so I can't see any room having a view. Your views will either be freeway...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 25, 2012

SpringHill Suites is inviting and the place to stay due to it's many freebies. It's a bright and welcoming hotel that gives you the feeling that it's trying to be "boutique". The hotel is close to John Wayne Airport, nice size gym and pool, free parking, free breakfast and LIGHTNING SPEED WIFI!! It's close to The District (not walking distance though) if you need entertainment, food, shopping (brand new Target for all your hotel essentials) and more. Definitely a good stay. If you request things for your room though, you'll have to go down to the front desk in the lobby to get them.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I Stayed there for only one night, but for sure it was enough to make a great rating on this hotel.
Hotel is very clean, from the lobby up to the rooms. very Modern in its' design and welcoming staff. As I walked up to the room, It was very refreshing to have a great sent thru the hallways , and the rooms were super clean and furniture was very new. It really felt like I was the first guest in this room. The decor is very warm and comfortable, the Beds are very comfortable and big, and there is also a small fridge in the room in case you want to keep anything in there to chill . Bathrooms were also very clean and a touch of modern architecture.
It has has a great indoors pool that you can enjoy during the winter time, and a nice little gym for an early work out.
The Lobby is also well design , and the Morning Full Warm breakfast was a great way to start the day, it wasn't just a cold on the go breakfast - I would greatly recommend this hotel, seriously a nice and clean place to stay at with a Good price too.
(the only small remark i have which is really not a big deal is the towels in the bathroom, they're very thin and a bit rough on the skin, so if you're particular about your thick towel, bring your own, but again that's nothing major.
and one extra tip :
Don't forget to put a "Do not disturb " sign on the door at night, or else house keeping will be knocking at 8 am

Room Tip: I was in room 444 and it was really great and quiet up there, not much noise at all
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel during business trip due to high ranking and reviews in Trip Advisor.
Pros:
1. Relatively cheaper compare to other Marriott brands
2. Hotel is new and well-maintained

Cons:
1. During my stay, all the 4 pillows in my room were stink and smelled like "bad body odor". It seems like the housekeeping forgot to replace the pillow's cover, and I ended up not using these smelly pillows.
2. I was able to hear the snoring noise from another room beside me because the dry wall is very thin
3. I was able to clearly hear the noise from outside (from the street) like passing car, etc.
I ended up did not sleep to well during my stay due to all these noises and smelly pillows. I should requested to switch the room, but it was very late at night (around 12 midnight) and I was very tired.

The next day, I shared this to the front desk during the checkout, and she noted it down.
I am very surprise that this hotel received 4 stars and 2nd rank in the area.

Ricky H.