“Fun Place and Good Food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ranked #370 of 646 Restaurants in Irvine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Jamboree
Irvine, California
“Fun Place and Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

Cool little restaurant with tasty food and good service. My sister and I go here a fair bit because she is allergic to gluten and they have a nice menu to accommodate her. I've tried a couple different items here and have been happy with almost all of them. The Mushroom Sacchetti is probably my favorite, but the salads are also really good depending on how hungry you are. Worth trying if you haven't been before. I will be back in the future.

• Visited May 2014

Huntington Beach, United States
“Great place for a special occassion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

Have been there are few times before and it has always been nice. This time is was for our anniversary and they gave us nice table towards the back. We had a great server who made great some great suggestions. The four course meal with cheese fondue, salad, main course and a wonderful chocolate fondue made for a wonderful evening.

I will certainly be back in the future.

• Visited May 2014
Newport Beach, California
“Good, but not amazing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

I have been to this restaurant on several different occasions now. I have always just been with my boyfriend, so there was just 2 of us. This is definitely a cute date night place to go. However, your experience really depends on who else is there and when you are seated. The past few times we have been here, we were in one of the couple booths in the back. These booths are "L" shaped, so you'r sitting next to one another. This makes it more cute and personal. The walls around these booths are also very tall, so most of the noise blocks out well. Last night, however, we were seated closer to the front of the restaurant where they have just regular booths. This made us feel like we were very far away from each other. Also, when you sit here, you see and here everyone around you. Their was a huge birthday party sitting on the other side of the wall that was extremely load. This turned our date night into what felt like a night at the bar. This is not to discourage anyone. This place is still great, and I am an easily satisfied person. I will definitely return here. I'll just be sure to request one of the personal booths.

My reasoning for the 3 stars is the actual food. Quality is ok. I've definitely have had better fondue. The amount per meal that they give you is pretty minimal. However, if you have all 4 courses it's a lot. Also, I have been here over a span of 3 years, and their menu has not changed one bit. I'm getting pretty tired of doing the same thing over and over. I would like some variety. I also am not a fan of boiling the meats. A lot of other fondue places give you a skillet. At the Melting Pot, you can also get oil and fry the meats, but all the other options relate to boiling your meat --- it just takes a lot of the taste out.

Lastly, when they are busy, they don't really take care of you. They more of just bring your food and expect you to figure out what's going on. When they tell you what all of the sauces are, it is so overwhelming! You get like 8 sauces on your table and they just tell you what each one of them is. Do your best to remember what they say!

• Visited March 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
“Wonderful!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Wonderful experience. Really great. Go hungry and share (split entrees). Worth every penny. Delicious! Friendly and knowledgeable staff.

Visited July 2013
Tustin, California
“Next time, I'll probably come just for dessert!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

I've been to the Melting Pot about 4 times now and a recent Saturday night brought us there for a birthday celebration dinner.

Two things right off the bat... Don't come here if you have an intense hunger...and...I have given this review a 4 out of 5 mainly because of the service. I'll explain...

The fondue process, in my opinion, is strictly a social experience. If you have a mild appetite and wish to talk and get together with friends and family, this is the ideal place. Each table is equipped with burners allowing you to cook your own food in metallic pots, so when mere morsels are dished out on a plate, you already realize that your hunger is a long time towards ending. Waiting for each morsel to cook just lengthens that time. If you're hungry, it can be a little frustrating.

I should state that we had the pleasure of being taken care of by an amazing waitress named Lucia. This girl was spot on with everything. She answered every question without hesitation, provided a repeated explanation of the menu and offered several helpful suggestions. Those are all important aspects of service however, her personality and how she engaged in conversation with all 5 of us was where she won us over. She was a delightful person and the Melting Pot is lucky to have her.

I was VERY pleased to learn the Melting Pot just changed their menu, FINALLY offering each individual guest the option to order their own choice of meat. I think that was a big part of what I didn't care for in the earlier days was having to decide as a group what I had no choice but to eat. So this change to the menu was a huge step forward I feel. All be it wonderful, it's still a minuscule serving and left me wanting more afterwards....that part hasn't changed. Another bonus I found was that you could order extra amounts of any other meat within your dish in place of a less desirable meat within that same dish. So chicken took the place for red meat within my dish, however I found it to be a little salty.

The next time I visit the Melting Pot, it will be for the dessert only. This is where this place really shines and what I would consider the real intention for a fondue place. Plates with rice crispy cubes, marshmallows, cheesecake bites, strawberries and brownies are served up with your choice of dipping chocolates...and they have some wonderful options.

The bus staff was very attentive and cordial, I even noticed what appeared to be a floor manager walking around and making sure everything was acceptable. The Melting Pot does not score major points for me in the way of offering up a complete dinner, leaving me satisfied...it's like a drawn out experience in eating hors d'oeuvre except you have to cook them yourself....never quite filling your stomach to the point of contentment...I can only eat so many bread cubes and raw vegetables dipped in cheese. Again, it's a wonderful social activity though.

I have to give props for the staff here - treatment is top notch and food quality seemed very acceptable. Might be a little questionable for the little ones who like to feel about with their fingers as there are hot things all around. The price was a bit extreme, especially since everyone is their own chef and an 18% gratuity was already set to our bill - but again, it's a social activity. Some things, you just have to write off and enjoy the moment. Such was the case here. They don't really offer up anything special for a birthday except a lit candle on a little brownie but you won't see the staff gathering up to sing for you - it's pretty mellow.

A recommendation: The Melting Pot's chocolate fondue is a jewel in their crown and it's obvious they take pride in it. We happen to have a friend who does not care for chocolate and there were no options into which he was able to dip his treats. I would highly recommend options for these folks....Maybe a fruit preserve, vanilla pudding or nut-flavored dipping sauces. There's a lot of potential for expanding the fondue experience but they seem a little locked in to just the basics.

• Visited January 2013