Ione Hotel
Days Inn Sutter Creek(Sutter Creek)(Great Value!)
$77
Hotel Sutter(Sutter Creek)
$120
$104
$84
$119
$99
The Historic Hotel Leger(Mokelumne Hill)
$85
The Murieta Inn & Spa(Rancho Murieta)
$189
$183
The Robin's Nest(San Andreas)
$125
$110
$60
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Definitely an antique as there are smoke smears from ancient fires on the walls...thought it was dirt at first. The cracked walls do help feel like you are staying in an old haunted hotel too!
For rating:
Cleanliness: Very dirty room. Bed was changed and that's all folks. We actually found a contact in our sink that didn't belong to us! Ewww.
Service: Practically non existent. I had to call just to get to my room and check in--it was 4PM.
Location: For us was good as we had events within walking distance.
Value: As it was so dirty and there was no service, the cost was much to high for the experience.
Rooms: Nice antique rooms, but so dirty it was hard to enjoy.
Sleep Quality: Awesome! The beds were "too" comfortable! I felt drugged when I woke up I slept so soundly. Some people say when there are ghosts around you tend to sleep deeply... maybe that is why? LOL.. I don't know, but woke up from the deepest sleep I ever had both mornings! Literally, I felt like I had taken a Vicodin or something.. Very comfy bed though.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Michelefromqueencree
Reviewed August 5, 2010

I had made reservations 2 months prior to our trip and had even confirmed the reservations via telephone. When we got here from Sonora it was clear that the pics are the only well kept parts of the hotel. There is grafitti on the top part of the hotel building right in front, and it seems like the area is closing down because almost half the stores, even the pretty historic ones, are closing down. Anyway, when we got here the guy at the front desk who I assume is the owner (same guy I talked to on the phone) lost our reservations so he charged us $135 instead of $80 for a TERRIBLE room with horrible beds. The claw-footed bathtubs that cost extra in a room (Which my Dad got) don't even work so your paying $50+ just for the pleasure of looking at it, which they do not tell you on the website. Each room being unique is sort of true in that some of them are actually sparcely decorated (the expensive claw-footed bathtub rooms) and the regular ones look cheaper than the worse than the cheapest motels.
So all in all, this place, not just the hotel, is a waste of time. If you want to stay in a great little town go to Jamestown to the National Hotel, Historic Columbia (basically a museum town with a great hotel and period-themed stores), or my personal favorite, Old Sanora at the Gunne House which was a 5 star B&B with the most beautiful rooms with excelent food, service, and ammenities for the same price (actually nearly half the price since the owner lost our bloody reservations, which I suspect he did on purpose to make more money).
Also, there are several Casio's dotted all along the highway that these little towns are located on, so when in doubt you can stay at one of those for a very good rate (even last minute its about $80-ish for a double) good food and entertainment.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Kalbers05
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I booked a night at the Ione Hotel expecting the worst, after reading the bad reviews.
We were expecting a run down hotel with dirty rooms and unplesant staff, we got the surprise of our lives when we walked into the lobby and saw what a beautiful hotel this was, the room we had was perfect and very clean, the staff made us feel like family and the owner, Mahmood sat and talked with us like we have known him for years! He even showed us a beautiful room they had just redone.... The only problem I had was that we were only there one night and I wished we could have stayed all week!!!!!!!!!!
Don't believe all the bad reviews you read, I will be coming back!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ghostwatcher017
Reviewed January 6, 2010

You would never guess that this place USED TO BE one of my favorite secret fugitive getaways. I started visiting Ione & staying in the Ione Hotel about 7-8 years ago, when the original owners were running it. They had totally renovated the place with hand-done interior work & the antiques were simple, utlitarian & comfortable, for using not for show. There was a great restaurant that served delicious food & during mealtimes you could walk into the kitchen & ask for something, just like at home. There was also a friendly bar that a normal, non-alky woman could feel safe in. The owners genuinely cared for their guests as people. I even experienced the hotel's famous ghost! So I used to go up there regularly to get away from the city life, sit on the back porch, read & do nothing, while being taken care of.

No more.

I visited again most recently this last September & the hotel has been sold to an Indian proprietor. I now consider it a squalid flophouse. It's awful, a huge disappointment & doesn't feel safe anymore.

The room I stayed in had had the nice, appropriate furniture moved out & replaced with a giant king size bed that was too large for its alcove, you had to inch along either side to get in or out of it, plus it had a wobbly frame that felt like it was going to collapse. The casement windows wouldn't stay open, I had to roll a towel up & stick it in the gap just to have some air. And there's now a big TV in the room, before it had been just a little unobtrusive one that fit with the room.

The restaurant is also now terrible. I ordered a salad with beef strips & grilled polenta squares. The polenta squares were completely stale, like shoe-rubber, like they had been sitting out for a week. There is no way polenta has that texture when it's made the same day, or even the day before. It was disgusting. The waiters hardly paid attention after putting the plate in front of me, they were busy with other things I guess. But I didn't feel comfortable walking into the kitchen anymore, they were blasting some kind of acid rap music so had created their own world, unfriendly to customers. I had to wait for a waiter, who then agreed that there was a serious problem. The restaurant owner (who leases the bar & restaurant from the hotel owner) came over & decided to give me my "meal" for free -- woohoo. I can't understand why a proprietor would have tried to feed something like that to someone to begin with!

Last, worst of all, usually hotel bars shut down at 10pm weekdays, 11pm weekends, out of respect for their overnight guests. County sound ordinances also require quiet after these hours because people like to sleep. There's also a regular dive bar directly across the street, so people who really want to keep drinking can. But this new owner & his tenant, who's leasing the bar too, seem to have decided that that profits matter more than people. The bar continued to crank with drunk young locals & the sound continued to get louder as drunk people milled around on the sidewalk outdoors. At about 12:30 am the fighting started, with shouted profanities & broken glass outside my window, & by 1:00 am somebody was vomiting there. I called the police, who happen to be just a block away, and they moved the fighting elsewhere I guess, but the noise didn't abate, the bed was wobbly, there was no air in my room anyway, I couldn't sleep, and I no longer felt safe, so I decided to complain.

Well, you'll never guess, but the new owner doesn't even have an innkeeper who stays in the hotel! So there's NOBODY taking care of the guests. I guess as long as rent keeps coming in from the the restaurant and bar, he's happy enough! Screw the guests.

Anyway, the sign at the front desk said to call him on his cell phone in an emergency, so that's what I did. I called him at 1:15 am and told him what had happened, that I'd called the police, I didn't feel safe, I was angry about the situation & I was checking out, NOW. He apologized profusely, but how "sorry" can you be at a distance? But he said he would refund my money. So I drove 15 miles to the next nearest hotel in Jackson and checked in.

The final outrage in this story is that he didn't issue the refund as promised. So I disputed through American Express & he had the GALL to then demand that we split the cost & I should pay half the room fee, simply because I had TRIED to sleep & the bed was messed up!! As if ANY part of his decision to let his hotel to be the scene of drunken fights, and his refusal to care for the safety & comfort of his guests personally, was my responsiblity!!

Simply put, what used to be a secret treasure is now a squalid flophouse (correct words). Guests are seen as revenue-producing-units, not valuable people who pay to be CARED FOR. The new owner clearly doesn't see himself as being in the hospitality business. His business is making as much money for as little effort as possible, like a slumlord. I don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank Mayalibre
Reviewed August 24, 2009

A blast from the past. This quaint little hotel is great! The Owner / operator Mahmood Ghani was fantastic. He gave us permission to check out the haunted rooms on our stay. If your looking for phones, large color tv's, and in room refrigerators this is not the place. It's decore is early 1900's from the bathrooms to the bedroom furnature. Beds are very comfortable. The hotels resturant was great. I had salmon & pesto pasta and my wife had raviolli, tri-tip. Both came with soup or salad and bread. We both had soft drinks. the total was $38. We were their Friday and Saturday night The bar had live music and was a litle noisy if your an early bird. We joined in and had a great time.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple