“Rooms need to be cleaned and refurbished top to bottom. .” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ione Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ione
Ione Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ione
Garden Grove
“Rooms need to be cleaned and refurbished top to bottom. .”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

A historic hotel that needs a whole lot of TLC..When we arrived no one to check us in..We waited over 45 min. for someone to come..When we finally got in our room, sheets were old and discolored..The bed sunk in the middle..The bathroom shower had mold everywhere..We had no soap for hand washing..The next day we got someone in to change the sheets and bring us soap..Not a good experience. .

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank 24karots
imasum, Manager at Ione Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
I do apologize for the wait. The person who could help this lady was upstairs and since that person is hispanic, this lady avoided to talk with her. My desk clerk is also hispanic therefore this lady has sent to me a very nasty e-mail claiming that all hispanics are thieves. I will be happy to forward that e-mail. She accused me in her e-mail that I am shame to the town of Ione and do not belong to the town of Ione. Her e-mail is totally racist.
We provide a very clean hotel and do not provide dirty sheets to our customer. Since our sheets have design they could be faded because of the use of bleach. I do not understand why the customer waited to ask for soap the next day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Palo Alto, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

This old hotel has a lot of features that give it great potential. It is an historic building with a beautiful, wide staircase, wide hallways, good windows, high ceilings, etc. Unfortunately, it doesn't live up to its potential. It seriously needs better cleaning. I found a sticker stuck to the comforter/quilt, debris on the floor that should have been picked up by a vacuum, and stray hairs stuck to the extra blanket in the dresser, dust clinging to furniture, etc. I understand that this is a small hotel in a small town, but there is no excuse for such lack of cleanliness.
The furniture in my room was inexpensive and mismatched. It was old junk that didn't deserve to be called "antique". There was a reading light and night table only on one side of the bed. The TV was an old, boxy type and too small for the size of the room. Two large, double-hung windows provided plenty of natural light; unfortunately, only one would stay open. The other window i propped open with the Gideon's Bible. (First time i found a use for one of those!)
Above the room door there is an old-fashioned window with a thin, lacy curtain. These type of windows are nice, but with bright lights burning in the hallway all night, it was impossible to sleep properly. Couldn't they turn these OFF at night? They could put little nightlights to help people get down the hallway.
If better housekeeping were provided and someone put some effort into better furnishings, new carpets, etc., this could be a lovely destination hotel. In the meantime, it is merely adequate for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

If you check the reviews here you will see that this is mostly a love-it or hate-it place. I was thinking of putting a 2 or 3-star because that is probably what it deserves as far as hotel ratings go. HOWEVER, I knew in advance that it was going to be "funky" and to be honest, it has POTENTIAL POTENTIAL POTENTIAL!! I've stayed in a $250/night "boutique" hotel in Hollywood that was way less interesting but just the "little extras" allow them to charge that kind of dough.

So, we were greeted by Alejandro...who seemed to be the only hotel "staff." He was extremely friendly and attentive to our needs (extra towels, etc.). We stayed for 4 nights and he told us that he only makes up the rooms if requested...so I told him that there was no need. Someone who is hoping for turn-down service is NOT going to find it here.

We stayed in room 5, which is the largest room with a queen and a double. The beds were comfortable. I pulled out extra comforters and pillows from the armoire in the room and added them to the beds. Everything seemed clean but very "well used." The décor was "okay" but that is one place where I think they could really improve things. Decent (real) antiques mixed with faded poster prints and dusty fake flower bouquets...and old-school big boxy tvs. About the only thing I found difficult (which was easy enough to fix with my sleep mask) was that there is a window above the door to the lobby/stairs and the lights are on all night out there so it does make for a pretty bright night light.

The town is somewhat "depressed"-looking (lots of empty storefronts). The walking tour isn't as organized as, say, Volcano's...which seems to get a ton of visitors. I think the Ione Hotel could be a goldmine (haha) but it would probably need a new owner with some $$$ to come in and really take it to the "boutique" status...my husband and I envisioned themed rooms...REALLY old-west (no cheesy posters)...fancy bathroom products, etc. They would need some staff to make up the rooms and some creative furniture to hide things like the refrigerators (which I ALWAYS appreciate in a hotel room!!). There are 2 awesome balconies with FILTHY furniture...we wanted to have a drink and sit out there to check our e-mail (there IS free Wi-Fi) but my legs ended up with black smudges all over them.

There is a really cool old bar downstairs and a restaurant (which actually looked like it was being changed to an Italian place right as we were there). The restaurant should really be part of the hotel experience...like a B&B. We ate dinner there the first night...lovely steak and fresh vegetables for a great price but we were the ONLY ONES THERE on Saturday night at 6:30...it was a little strange. The bar draws a seemingly small crowd for how cool it is and we were a little worried our first night because the music (juke box?) was very loud INSIDE our room. If this place was fixed up and became a hotspot they would have to figure out how to do the bar without disturbing the guests upstairs. I'm pretty sure that the bar is the money maker as most of the rooms were vacant for the entire 4 nights that we were there...and if you watch the traffic go by it's just a sea of motorhomes and motorcycles...potential tourists!

So, all of that being said...we had a fine time. We were in the perfect location for the things we wanted to do (archery at the Lodi Bowmen's club, the Black Chasm, the Gold Bug mine, etc.). The shower was wonderful...clean, big, tons of water pressure and HOT. The old-fashioned toilet was fun but we did have to climb up on the rim a few times to hit the flapper on a number of occasions. I didn't really mind not having the room made up...I made our beds each morning and that was fine. Thing is...we paid $130/night...which I think is a bit steep for the lack of "extras" but honestly, there isn't much to choose from!! We would have had to drive quite a bit further to get to any kind of chain hotel which would have been at least $100/night anyway. And honestly, this experience was super fun for our 8 year old.

I didn't sense any ghostly presence, actually quite the opposite...so NOT spooky...I think they could play on that a little bit more too.

Hopefully the economy will pick up and someone will be able to take this place to greatness. For now...enjoy it for what it is...a cool old hotel. I'm sure they didn't have turn-down service in 1910 either!

Room Tip: Room 5 is the largest with a queen and a double. Choose a room down the hall if you need to have it...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ClawMarks
Santa Clara, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

It's a small town hotel, so don't expect too much from it. The owner is really a nice guy. I stayed in room 11 and the bed felt like it was seriously sagging to the side I was on. This meant that I felt like I would fall off the edge of the bed no matter which way I moved. I turned on the heat in the room and it barely made a difference to the temperature. In the bathroom however, it was boiling hot because the heat was going full blast in there. The old-fashioned toilet was in nice touch. Luckily I was only there one night, if I'd had to stay more than one night, I probably would've switched rooms. There is a restaurant and bar on site which makes it easier to stay there. The room was clean and seemed to be well maintained except for the issues with the bed and the heat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank TravellingPamB
BRISBANE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

we were, again up in Amador for another wine event,and decided to try the Ione hotel.They let us check in really early and gave us a choice of rooms....gave us a nice little story about the past experience of our room. Boo! The rooms could use a little cleaning,and it would not take away from its originality. ..but otherwise this hotel is fantastic,to look at.lots of old pics and lamps and just lots of old stuff.we only stayed over-nite, so not much hotel time....but it was worth it and yes We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Atwater, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

Was coming into Ione for author J'amie Rubio's book signing for the day, and always enjoy staying in this historical hotel, when I have the chance. As usual, the owner and staff was very friendly. They always make you feel very welcomed. Nice work! Food is great too!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank ORBS_inv
Concord, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

This will be our 4th time staying at the Ione Hotel and we are never disapointed! The owner is a very kind and friendly man and always makes us feel like family. The rooms are alway clean and we have never had any problems, well we did have a ghost visit us one time but we were OK with that and do not consider that a problem!! We are looking forward to our next visit!!

Room Tip: Want a quiet night..ask for room 5..in the mood to talk to some ghosts? ask for room 13 or 14(sorry...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ione
BEST WESTERN Amador Inn
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
The Robin's Nest
The Robin's Nest
#1 of 3 in San Andreas

Been to Ione Hotel? Share your experiences!