“I will not stay here again!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Ione Hotel

Ione Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ione
Sacramento, California
“I will not stay here again!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012

Back in January, I made reservations at the Ione Hotel, an historic hotel in Ione, Ca. We had a group that was going to stay there while we enjoyed the 2012 El Dorado Wine Passport with our friends. Well, for one, when I made the reservation, the owner would not send me a confirmation, even though he said he was going to send one. We called back aand he told us again that he would send one which we never got. When my wife had called earlier in the day, he wanted to put us in a room with another couple of our group because he had overbooked.
Then we checked in. After we had got up to the room and unloaded our bags, there was no air conditioning, the TV did not work and the toilet never flushed right. The sheets looked like they were never changed. When I asked the assistant there about the air conditioning, he came to the room and said you have to press the button which I had done and he did it again and told me it would eventually come on. It never did. I went to bed because I was sick with the flu while my wife went to join our friends for dinner. When she got back later that evening, my wife had decided that we had better check out for two reasons...1 was that the hotel had no air conditioning, no TV and the toilet wasn't working right and 2...with me being sick,we needed to get to a better hotel where we could have the above. So, my wife told the owner that being that my husband was ill, we are checking out the next day and we would like a credit for the next day. The owner of the hotel got upset and said no. My wife told him of her legal rights to cancel. He proceeded to continue to lie to her saying that all of our friends that were checking in earlier that day and had left, had bad mouthed my wife saying that our friends didn't want to stay there because they didn't like my wife, which was a huge lie! Those same friends called us and told us to get the hell out of there and to join them at another hotel. After he kept on going with the lies and yelling at my wife that he has run this hotel for 6 years and is a great business man, my wife told him to give us a credit or else. He finally gave us a credit. Afterwards he sent up the bartender so if my wife was ok. And my wife told her that we were checking out the next day and you could hear the owner yelling below so we shut the door and prepared our suitcases to check out the next day. We checked out at 6:00 a.m. the next morning and we checked into a better place. We checked in to the 49er RV Park in Plymouth and rented one of their beautiful cottages that had air, TV, beautiful rooms and bathroom and clean sheets. And the management was very friendly. The people at the 49er RV Park know how to do business the American way. To see what happened to us and our group was totally uncalled for. To let a beautiful historic Hotel that is the flagship for this beautiful town, go downhill is sad. It has so much potential but with an owner like that, it is going to continue to go downhill and someone in Ione should do something about it. Just in our group alone, he and the town lost out on 10 people that would have spent money in Ione. Good Businessmen who run hotels send out confirmations, have clean rooms, TV's and Air Conditioning that work, clean sheets on the bed and are nice to their customers. We will never be back unless there is new management/ownership in this Hotel and we are spreading the word. In fact, by looking at all of the other reviews of this hotel, the word has already been out.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 32999Geraldo69
imasum, Owner at Ione Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
As an owner I know that customer is always people will believe. With this customer I really bent backwards. I provided the best room. I put in a brand new set of bedsheets. This gentleman is the husband of the lady with the review titled "Fiasco". My only fault with this customers wife was to inform her that their friends have decided not to stay with us because they said that they will not stay at a hotel where this couple will stay. The wife called me a liar and yelled at me the whole evening with threats. The husband was very sick and the only time I saw him was when they were checking in. I am very proud of the cleanliness of my hotel. The airconditioning did breakdown since the weather suddenly became very hot on that weekend. I called the repair services, since it was a week end we could not find parts. This guest while checking out started knocking at all the other rooms and annoyed them by telling them that they should all check out. As a small business owner in a small town I try my best to please.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Atwater, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Had an overnight investigation at the Preston Castle the previous day, and I always try to make it a point when I need a place to stay to stop in and see what is available. To my surprise room 13 on the 13th with a full moon to boot was there for the taking. Strange feelings from this room, but that’s what I’m looking for. Special thanks to my friend Mahood the Hotel’s owner. You are very generous, and always make my time there a pleasant one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank ORBS_inv
Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

If some reviewers had a bad experience at this hotel, it has to be because they are hard to please. Our stay here was one of the most positive travel experiences we have had. We spent hours chatting with Mahmood, the owner, who even brought his son and his wife in to join the conversation. We were treated as if we were friends and family, not simply a hotel guests.
Our group occupied 2 rooms but we were allowed access to other rooms, as well as the kitchen and dining areas after hours.
I simply cannot believe anyone found the hotel to be dirty. It certainly was not. In fact it was immaculate.
Because we were interested in the history of the area in general and the building in particular, we were given a behind the scenes tour and told of the many legends and stories that go with the Hotel Ione. Mahmood cleared table settings and table cloths were removed to reveal a large table top that covered an ancient spring water well located right in the middle of the dining room area. Hotel staff gave us detailed accounts of ghostly experiences they had while working in the Hotel.
The hotel chef came to introduce herself and to verbally explain her menu and the nightly special dinner she could prepare. The food was amazing. I personally cannot see how service can be any better than the service we were given by Mahmood and his entire staff.
One final note, eating at the hotel was a blessing all in itself. I never expected a meal in an old mining town, at an antique hotel, to be like the Salmon dinner I had here. It was so good, in fact, I ordered it the second night too.
I have already recommended the Ione Hotel to many friends who will be visiting the area next weekend. I am positive the service they receive will equal the service I had. I am likewise positive the rooms will be as clean and as comfortable as mine. I am positive the ambiance will be everything it was for us. I cannot praise the Ione Hotel enough.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank GeneDunn
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I were on a road trip to So California when we decided to do something different and that is what brought us to the Ione Hotel. I have read about this hotel being haunted and we decided a short jaunt off the path would be cool. We phoned at noon to see if a room was avail and we were told no problem. We were given information and on our way. It was what we expected and a little more. When we walked in the front door I could smell fire smoke. My boyfriend couldn't smell it but I could throughout the entire time we stayed there. The room was like I though, period time furniture and a real feel for going back in time. We enjoyed sitting and enjoying a drink on the back patio and later dinner and drinks on the front porch upstairs. There is lots of history about this hotel and it was very interesting to stay here. I took many pics and have orbs in them all. I would suggest this hotel to anyone, just remember its not no Best Bestern, Hyatt etc. It is a very old building with history. The caretakers were great and we enjoyed chatting with them. They told us many stories, but I would tell you to read up on this hotel on line before staying. Its not for everyone. I will be back, and I can't wait. If you want to go on a nice walk, go by the cemeterys and see what happens. We went at dusk and it got dark quickly, take your camera and see what you get. I have some very interesting pics that I cannot explain. Orbs are abundant, ghostly figures too. I will never forget this road trip! I thank you Tommy for bring me here..

Room Tip: Room #13 is the best to stay at!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PryncessLyz
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

We found the Ione Hotel to be a great place to stay when visiting the wine country in Amador County. We have stayed at several inns or hotels in the area and the Ione Hotel is now our favorite. The hotel is decorated beautifully with many period antiques and our room was large, nicely decorated, clean, and with a really comfortable bed.
We love to stay in 19th century hotels in the gold country. But, often the downfall is that you have to share a bathroom down the hall. But at the Ione Hotel, each room has its own bathroom, and our room not only had a shower, but also a claw foot tub that we luxuriated in after a long day of wine-tasting.
The prices are very reasonable, and the management is helpful and friendly. The hotel has large common porches front and back, so you can relax while watching the river or the town action. They also have a great bar with many specialty drinks and the prices are inexpensive.
The town of Ione is also unexpectedly cute and unpretentious, and only ten minutes from the nearest winery.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Atwater, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

This is the second time I have spent a night there and all I can say is how friendly and responsive the people were. An older hotel with lots of history makes for an interesting stay. The Prime Rib that was served for dinner was excellent, Great group of people. Look forward to the next stay. Thanks

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
imasum, Owner at Ione Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I am sorry to say that my guest is very confused. Yes I was busy with my son's wedding on that day. My staff is completely capable of taking care of hotel guest. This guest was offered queen suite first with full working bathtub that is more expensive than his actual reservation. He was then offered the king suite to please him which he took. He has refused to pay even though he stayed at the hotel. He has added comments that are untrue. Please pay your bill sir.
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

My fiance and I were uncertain if we should book or recommend this hotel to our wedding party and guests. We heard mixed - poor reviews. We chalked it up to small town politics and trusted in our friend's positive experience from 4 years prior. The temptation of having our family be able to walk to and from our wedding was too much to resist.

Prior to our arrival, we had heard from one of our guests that they had tried to cancel 3 weeks prior to the wedding and were refused. They were told because it was a wedding reservation they required 30 days cancellation notice. I checked the website and found no reference to that policy. Called the proprietor, he indicated he verbal informed wedding guests of the party but would update his website for the future. A week later received a call from the proprietor stating my father was attempting to cancel his reservation but he wanted to check with me before cancelling and re-renting the rooms. I also received calls from several guests stating the proprietor called to confirm their reservations prior to the 72 hour cancelation policy. These calls from the hotel were in direct conflict to how they handled by friend attempting to cancel. I thought he may have changed his random 30 day policy based on our conversation. But he did not contact those specific friends. In fact, after all that, he ended up giving away their room without notification and they were left stranded without accomidations an hour before the wedding.

I booked 2 rooms for our family for one night and 1 room for a second night. We were quoted $205 for the 2 rooms. When we arrived we were told I had 2 rooms for 2 nights and we were not allowed to cancel the second room without being charged and we were told it would be $250 a night. I did not argue to 2nd room for 2 nights for fear I had miscommunicated. I asked why the price difference and the owner said they had "upgraded" our room. We did not ask for the upgrade, I pointed that fact out and was told we could change to a lesser room. We kept the room for fear that our arriving wedding guests may have to bear the cost differrence of our change. We were told check out was at noon then the day of check out the housekeepers told us it was 11am. There were no proprietors available to clarify check out time and no phone number at the vacant front desk to contact someone with questions. We had to wake our daughter and rush her out for fear of being charged an extra day. Bottom line, get every communication in writing and do not even trust that.

Our rooms were clean and adequate. The beds were comfortable. There were was a separately operated restaurant and bar. Because of the small size of the hotel, our family and friend booked all the rooms so it was like having an extremely large home rather than separate hotel rooms. The location was perfect for our families needs.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank sparkle0719

Travelers are raving about these Ione hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ione
Days Inn Sutter Creek
The Historic Hotel Leger
The Historic Hotel Leger
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
Days Inn & Suites Lodi

Been to Ione Hotel? Share your experiences!