“Everything was comfortable, clean, and restful” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ione Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ione
Ione Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ione
california
“Everything was comfortable, clean, and restful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

We found the Ione Hotel to be a great place to stay when visiting the wine country in Amador County. We have stayed at several inns or hotels in the area and the Ione Hotel is now our favorite. The hotel is decorated beautifully with many period antiques and our room was large, nicely decorated, clean, and with a really comfortable bed.
We love to stay in 19th century hotels in the gold country. But, often the downfall is that you have to share a bathroom down the hall. But at the Ione Hotel, each room has its own bathroom, and our room not only had a shower, but also a claw foot tub that we luxuriated in after a long day of wine-tasting.
The prices are very reasonable, and the management is helpful and friendly. The hotel has large common porches front and back, so you can relax while watching the river or the town action. They also have a great bar with many specialty drinks and the prices are inexpensive.
The town of Ione is also unexpectedly cute and unpretentious, and only ten minutes from the nearest winery.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Atwater, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

This is the second time I have spent a night there and all I can say is how friendly and responsive the people were. An older hotel with lots of history makes for an interesting stay. The Prime Rib that was served for dinner was excellent, Great group of people. Look forward to the next stay. Thanks

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
imasum, Owner at Ione Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I am sorry to say that my guest is very confused. Yes I was busy with my son's wedding on that day. My staff is completely capable of taking care of hotel guest. This guest was offered queen suite first with full working bathtub that is more expensive than his actual reservation. He was then offered the king suite to please him which he took. He has refused to pay even though he stayed at the hotel. He has added comments that are untrue. Please pay your bill sir.
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

My fiance and I were uncertain if we should book or recommend this hotel to our wedding party and guests. We heard mixed - poor reviews. We chalked it up to small town politics and trusted in our friend's positive experience from 4 years prior. The temptation of having our family be able to walk to and from our wedding was too much to resist.

Prior to our arrival, we had heard from one of our guests that they had tried to cancel 3 weeks prior to the wedding and were refused. They were told because it was a wedding reservation they required 30 days cancellation notice. I checked the website and found no reference to that policy. Called the proprietor, he indicated he verbal informed wedding guests of the party but would update his website for the future. A week later received a call from the proprietor stating my father was attempting to cancel his reservation but he wanted to check with me before cancelling and re-renting the rooms. I also received calls from several guests stating the proprietor called to confirm their reservations prior to the 72 hour cancelation policy. These calls from the hotel were in direct conflict to how they handled by friend attempting to cancel. I thought he may have changed his random 30 day policy based on our conversation. But he did not contact those specific friends. In fact, after all that, he ended up giving away their room without notification and they were left stranded without accomidations an hour before the wedding.

I booked 2 rooms for our family for one night and 1 room for a second night. We were quoted $205 for the 2 rooms. When we arrived we were told I had 2 rooms for 2 nights and we were not allowed to cancel the second room without being charged and we were told it would be $250 a night. I did not argue to 2nd room for 2 nights for fear I had miscommunicated. I asked why the price difference and the owner said they had "upgraded" our room. We did not ask for the upgrade, I pointed that fact out and was told we could change to a lesser room. We kept the room for fear that our arriving wedding guests may have to bear the cost differrence of our change. We were told check out was at noon then the day of check out the housekeepers told us it was 11am. There were no proprietors available to clarify check out time and no phone number at the vacant front desk to contact someone with questions. We had to wake our daughter and rush her out for fear of being charged an extra day. Bottom line, get every communication in writing and do not even trust that.

Our rooms were clean and adequate. The beds were comfortable. There were was a separately operated restaurant and bar. Because of the small size of the hotel, our family and friend booked all the rooms so it was like having an extremely large home rather than separate hotel rooms. The location was perfect for our families needs.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank sparkle0719

Travelers are raving about these Ione hotels

Sparks, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

On Friday, 10/22/10 our group chose The Ione Hotel to stay at before our big night of Paranormal Research at the Preston Castle. We do not regret staying at this Hotel; in fact we will recommend this Hotel to anyone interested in the Paranormal. The Managers; Frahan and Charlotte were outstanding, taking time out of their day and night to talk to us and give us personal tours and allowed us to conduct small investigations.

The Rooms, Bar and Restaurant were very clean; we know this because we caught Orbs on the cameras and in our attempt to debunk them we proceeded to pound on the carpet, the bedding, the chairs trying to stir up some sort of dirt particles and were unsuccessful . The place was spotless!!! The rooms were decorated with true antiques and each room was done differently. They have great patio areas; in the front on the second floor over looking this wonderful little town. The other two in the back one on the ground floor and one on the second floor with a view of the Preston Castle tower.

The restaurant was outstanding and inexpensive. The Wait staff was on top of it all with the food tasty with great portions. They even made us coffee in the morning when they were not even open.. Now that’s service. The Bar was hopping that night with a mix of visitors, great local patrons and Karaoke.

Thanks again Frahan and Charlotte!! You’re doing great.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Moangy
Sacramento, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

In all my years of travel, I have never had such a bad experience at a hotel.
The Hotel is a historic inn in the very small town of Ione with only around 20 rooms. It might actually be the only hotel in the town. We made a reservation here so we could attend a friend’s wedding which was held a few blocks away.
I made the reservation months in advance, and about 3 weeks before we were schedule to arrive, I made a call to the hotel to cancel. However, when I called the hotel, the owner 9who was not pleasant to talk to) told me that they had a 30 day cancelation policy and no matter what I would be charged for the room. So, we kept our reservation in place.
The day of our reservation my husband and I arrived to check in, and we were promptly told that the hotel had overbooked and we no longer had a room. The front desk staff (who turned out to be the children of the owner) told us we should drive into the next town to try and find a room.
That was it. No help finding a new room someplace else (seeing as how we needed to be at a wedding shortly). No calls to other hotels to make sure we would get another room that matched the price of the room we reserved with the Ione Hotel.
No customer service whatsoever. In fact, the hotel staff acted annoyed that we were upset about the situation. They told us they had no obligation to do anything for us.
With only 2 hours until the wedding, we were lucky enough to have a complete stranger offer us to use their hotel room to change our clothes (the hotel refused us space to change telling us it just was not possible).
The hotel we changed in was extremely small with antique furniture that had been very poorly taken care of. The walls were very thin- we could hear the conversation from the next room. The towels were thin and shabby,
As for the wedding, we ended up having to leave earlier than we had wanted to in order to make the long drive back home.
For a hotel to refuse to allow a guest to cancel a room, and then overbook and ‘walk” them without any help to make sure the inconvenienced customer could find accommodations is unacceptable. I have never been treated so poorly by a hotel.

Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MrsLFH
Queen Creek, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2010

Definitely an antique as there are smoke smears from ancient fires on the walls...thought it was dirt at first. The cracked walls do help feel like you are staying in an old haunted hotel too!
For rating:
Cleanliness: Very dirty room. Bed was changed and that's all folks. We actually found a contact in our sink that didn't belong to us! Ewww.
Service: Practically non existent. I had to call just to get to my room and check in--it was 4PM.
Location: For us was good as we had events within walking distance.
Value: As it was so dirty and there was no service, the cost was much to high for the experience.
Rooms: Nice antique rooms, but so dirty it was hard to enjoy.
Sleep Quality: Awesome! The beds were "too" comfortable! I felt drugged when I woke up I slept so soundly. Some people say when there are ghosts around you tend to sleep deeply... maybe that is why? LOL.. I don't know, but woke up from the deepest sleep I ever had both mornings! Literally, I felt like I had taken a Vicodin or something.. Very comfy bed though.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Michelefromqueencree
Orange, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

I had made reservations 2 months prior to our trip and had even confirmed the reservations via telephone. When we got here from Sonora it was clear that the pics are the only well kept parts of the hotel. There is grafitti on the top part of the hotel building right in front, and it seems like the area is closing down because almost half the stores, even the pretty historic ones, are closing down. Anyway, when we got here the guy at the front desk who I assume is the owner (same guy I talked to on the phone) lost our reservations so he charged us $135 instead of $80 for a TERRIBLE room with horrible beds. The claw-footed bathtubs that cost extra in a room (Which my Dad got) don't even work so your paying $50+ just for the pleasure of looking at it, which they do not tell you on the website. Each room being unique is sort of true in that some of them are actually sparcely decorated (the expensive claw-footed bathtub rooms) and the regular ones look cheaper than the worse than the cheapest motels.
So all in all, this place, not just the hotel, is a waste of time. If you want to stay in a great little town go to Jamestown to the National Hotel, Historic Columbia (basically a museum town with a great hotel and period-themed stores), or my personal favorite, Old Sanora at the Gunne House which was a 5 star B&B with the most beautiful rooms with excelent food, service, and ammenities for the same price (actually nearly half the price since the owner lost our bloody reservations, which I suspect he did on purpose to make more money).
Also, there are several Casio's dotted all along the highway that these little towns are located on, so when in doubt you can stay at one of those for a very good rate (even last minute its about $80-ish for a double) good food and entertainment.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Kalbers05
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ione
BEST WESTERN Amador Inn
#1 of 1 in Mokelumne Hill
The Robin's Nest
The Robin's Nest
#1 of 3 in San Andreas

Been to Ione Hotel? Share your experiences!