I just completed my 3rd visit to Soneva Fushi. This has always been my favorite beach vacation spot since my first trip several years ago. Overall, it is still excellent, with great service, a wonderful laid back environment, and luxurious facilities. However, certain issues popped up this time which actually had us (my wife and I) considering looking at other resorts in the future.
1) There is a LOT of construction on the island (scheduled to be completed soon, I believe), which leads to a lot of noise and smell of gas, etc. This is tremendously disappointing - I'm sure most of us go to Soneva to get away from city life... hearing constant sawing and smelling diesel from time to time isn't a great getaway. Hopefully, this problem will go away soon, but it is an issue right now.
2) We got stuck in the worst villa we've experienced on the island. We had confirmed a crusoe villa, but were inexplicably placed in a fushi villa. I'm sure this is considered a slight upgrade, since it is a little larger, but is a one floor layout rather than a two floor layout. Our villa, number 43, had only a narrow opening to the beach, the rest being blocked off by plants. I'm sure this was done for privacy reasons, since one of the restaurants is right next door, but, as a result, there really isn't any beach view from the villa, and it gets stuffy due to lack of breeze.
Everything else was still fantastic - great staff, lots of privacy, wonderful facilities, and good food.
Don't get me wrong - I still love Soneva Fushi, but I couldn't imagine ever considering looking at other resorts before, and am considering this action for the future.
Oh well, hopefully this was an outlier and Soneva continues to be a gem. In any case, I would advise anyone expecting a good beach view to avoid villa 43.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When Eva and Sonu Shivdasani built Soneva Fushi as well as their home on the deserted island of Kunfunadhoo in the Maldives in 1995 they had no idea that their intensely personal vision of a locally crafted villa and environmentally responsible lifestyle would form the basis of a successful collection of world-class hotels, resorts and spas. But that's exactly what happened. Soneva Fushi was the first 'castaway' resort in the Maldives, pioneering a trend for back-to-nature luxury holidays. It established a blueprint for a highly acclaimed international business, followed by spectacular Soneva Kiri on the unspoilt Thai island of Koh Kood in 2009. The success of the Soneva brand also paved the way for Six Senses Resorts and Spas with award-winning properties in Asia, the Middle East and Europe. Under Eva's and Sonu's direction the Six Senses brand gained a global following before being sold in 2012. Today the Sonevas have many imitators, but no equals. Each Soneva - and a yachting experience, Soneva in Aqua - impresses on a wide range of levels. Breathtaking 'remote but accessible' natural locations, effortlessly chic accommodation, incredible food, truly memorable activities, an inspiring ethos of sustainability and service that is uncannily intuitive. The resort that set the tone and the standards for every subsequent resort. A jewel of an island - large by Maldives standards - with perfect beaches, a vibrant reef encircling the island, a colony of nesting turtles and its very own world class observatory. Located in the Baa Atoll, Maldives' only UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, Soneva Fushi is blessed with extensive coral reefs and significant biodiversity including large concentrations of whale sharks, manta rays and marine turtles. The resort is perfect for romantic couple getaways, or family holidays as it provides unique experiences and activities for all, from diving and snorkelling with the marine biologist, to sandbank dinners and a children's den (playground). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Soneva Fushi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Soneva Fushi By 6 Senses
- Soneva Fushi By Six Senses Hotel Kunfunadhoo
- Soneva Fushi Resort
- Soneva Fushi Hotel
- Soneva Fushi Maldives/Kunfunadhoo