“Exquisite!”
Review of Soneva Fushi

Soneva Fushi
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kunfunadhoo
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed here for 14 nights in March with our 16 month old son and had a wonderful time. It was our 7th time to the Maldives but the best one so far. Previous resorts: both Four Seasons property's, One and Only Reethi Rah, The Beach House, Banyan Tree and Kanuhura.

If you want glam do not go here, if you want a real holiday experience with the best food on the Maldives do go here. There were a lot of children as well and they can arrange everything which is perfect. Not a lot of honeymooners but a lot of people who do not want to see and be seen but just want to be themselves and leave there high profile jobs at home. Here it is not about what you do but just about enjoying in the best possible place. We loved it and will go back next year.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MargotVandeRiet
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review . As you say we take pride in providing our guests with unique and unforgettable experiences and since this was your 7th visit to the Maldives, we are so thrilled to know that your holiday at Soneva Fushi was the best so far!

My team and I look forward to your return next year and to the pleasure of serving you again.

Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The Best Resort I have EVER been too! The service is exceptional, they miss no details! What they promise on their website..... Is only the beginning! They ticked Every single box! Personal, prefossional, beautiful natural surroundings..... They have their own 'Eco-system' recycle centre o the island! They took us & our kids on a tour of their recycle centre, they use only biodegradable resources, they grow as much organic fruit & veg themselves AND they make their own water( no importing of water= less carbon footprint)!!! I could go on & on!! Luxury & Eco friendly! This is our 4th time in Maldives( every time we try a different resort ) & we will definitely be returning to Soneva Fushi!!!

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you have given us top scores in every aspect. We are proud of the Soneva philosophy of Intelligent luxury working hand in hand with the environment, local communities and reducing our carbon footprints in all that we do - we are thrilled that you and your kids enjoyed the entire experience.

Thank you once again for being our guest and we look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

An excellent resort/management/staff/snorkeling spot in a wonderful and well preserved island
A MUST go back asap
Special thanks to: Natsumi, Frederica, Akmeen and the sympathy and attention of Tim the resort manager
Thank you all to make us feel special and have the most wonderful time ever
Looking forward to seeing you all in february 2014

Room Tip: Sun rising part is nicer
1  Thank LuisM6

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the most wonderful time ever. Your positive feedback was shared with the Team and those you specifically mentioned – they made us proud!.

We would love the opportunity to welcome you back again – hopefully soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

So everyone else has said it but...

The service here is second to none. Your Mr or Ms Friday will look after you well but without being obtrusive. Everyone has a smile. We were upgraded when we arrived and again halfway through our stay - not because we complained about anything but I guess just because...

The food is to die for - huge choice, and as a vegetarian it's not often that I can say that and really mean it, but I could have stayed for a month and not eaten the same thing twice. The wine is very expensive but they have this great thing where you can order a bottle one night and if you don't finish it, it will find its way to you whichever restaurant you eat in the following night, and the night after.

Our tips:
- really, don't bother with shoes or flip flops - you will be the only person wearing anything on your feet
- really, don't bother with swanky clothes - its mostly dark at dinner and nobody cares what you look like
- go to the observatory - on a clear night you will get a fantastic view, and have a really interesting conversation
- take a good mosquito spray - there are lots, despite the resort's best efforts to manage them
- learn to love your bike if you are in a villa a bit of a distance away from the main areas - there are 3 wheelers available if you aren't comfortable with 2 wheels and golf buggies if all else fails
- go snorkelling with the marine biologist - very informative
- enjoy seeing the frolicking dolphins from your own piece of beach - not guaranteed of course, but we saw them twice in a week
- watch the sunset from Bar(a)bara - beautiful

There is an inhabited island that you can see from one side of the island, but this doesn't spoil the experience at all. Besides, the Maldives belong to the Maldivians not the tourists, and we found it quite interesting watching the comings and goings to that island.

We were a little worried about whether needing to include a seaplane in the journey would be a pain, having previously stayed at an island which only needed a speedboat transfer, but they do their very best to make this part of your holiday and it really isn't a big deal.

All in all, we would definitely go back because by the end of our week there we felt refreshed, well looked after and properly well fed and watered. We also felt that the resort does a significant amount to help minimise damage to the environment and to support the local community. Beautiful. Go.

1  Thank snoopy933

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a pleasant review of our resort. We are delighted to hear that you were pleased with many aspects of your stay with us and it’s great to know that you left the resort well refreshed and well looked after. My team and I are glad that you appreciate and recognize our efforts to minimize damage to the environment and to support the local community.

Thank you for little ‘tips’ and for recommending our resort to others. We hope you will return soon, and look forward to providing you with more enjoyable experiences on your next visit!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I've just came back from 2 amazing weeks spent at Six senses Laamu and Soneva Fushi and I've had one of the most amazing times of my life. I feel privileged that I've had the chance to visit these 2 properties, that I met great people and I've been well taken care of.
I've already left a review for my stay at Laamu and now with regards to Soneva Fushi I'll be really critical as I always am when I find a true gem - if I wouldn't, I'd most likely be careless.
Soneva Fushi is an amazing island with a fabulous setting (yes, let's ignore the neighbour island on the sunset side..) and with a very professional staff. The SLOW life concept (including the no shoes non-enforced policy) is unique, has been part of the foundation of the resort back in 1995 but you do need time to adjust which is fine as you'll always want to come back anyway.
Located in the Baa Atoll, Soneva Fushi has a huge impact on one's that is looking for a genuine Robinson Crusoe experience, for a unique accommodation in the middle of a luxurious vegetation - this is what I call a true island experience.
I've stayed at a Crusoe Villa on the sunrise side which had a very good house reef a few steps away from it, the housekeeping was spotless (they even tied up our clothes every single day!), our Miss Friday was effortless (Thank you so much Natsumi!!) and the icing on top of the cake for me has been Federica, from the Diving Center, with whom I had the most amazing and unforgettable moments (I could literally just go on the sea every single day with her - I already miss you Federica!).
So island, accommodation and setting wise I find it very hard to believe there's any island in the Maldives which can beat Soneva Fushi... with regards to food, service/staff, profile of the guests please don't take it to heart but here's my thoughts.. please note that none of these would prevent me from wanting so desperately to go back.

Staff/service: they've been very very good throughout my stay but for such a gem I'd perhaps wanted more - exception goes to Natsumi, Federica, Tim, Akhmeem and a few other folks.

Food: I found it wonderful but I did prefer Laamu, the flavours, the intensity of the menu, the Chilli table experience.. the best food I've ever had.

Staff: I did find the staff overall super efficient, professional and attentive but the Laamu staff was more enthusiastic, vibrant and humble (which is something that I love). I wanted to avoid comparisons but I just can't.

Profile of the guests: this is where things perhaps go out of control from the resort and you just either accept it or not - I know that the period I've stayed at this property is a popular one (Easter holidays) so I was expecting families and that's fine. However, what I was not expecting was a considerable amount of eastern european visitors who clearly don't have manners, just "money" - I've seen staff being just patronised quite often, I've never seen words like "please" and "thank you" being so often forgotten - I wonder why some staff may well need a boost of motivation... on top of that, in general, it was obvious to me that they don't value the island enough (ask the crows who have been hit a couple of times just because of their "caw caw caw"...)

In summary: If I'll go back to Soneva Fushi: yes, very soon. If I've found the experience memorable: yes, and I'll think about it every singe day. If I hesitate to recommend it whenever there's a discussion on the Maldives: never, ever.

A big kudo to the Soneva Fushi team - you all take care and see you soon.

Nuno Martins Macedo

Room Tip: Sunrise side for privacy, sunset for a wonderful sunset and snorkelling.
3  Thank nrmm
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your extremely well detailed feedback about Soneva Fushi. I am delighted that so many hosts, experiences and our Slow Life concept touched you in a way that made your Maldivian Robinson Crusoe experience a unique vacation for you. We pride ourselves in going that extra yard, making our services the benchmark of five star luxuries. I noticed that you preferred the food at Six Senses Laamu and that you found their staff to be a little bit more vibrant. This is good to read as of course Six Senses Laamu was part of the Soneva Family and that their staff were all trained by us and to Soneva standards.

We thank you also for posting great pictures of our Resort and for recommending us to others.
We are happy to read that you plan to come back very soon and we look forward to your return and to the pleasure of welcoming you again.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were welcomed by our Mr Friday -( Mujay ) on landing in the seaplane and soon transported by magic to the Sandbank where the weekly evening cocktail / bar-B-que for all the Guests was underway, how surreal was that? One moment we seemed to be in the snowy UK and the next we were on a mound of white sand barely above the level of the Indian Ocean drinking chilled wine having just arrived by seaplane!! The wonderful experience began and didn't falter all week. Everyone was so quietly attentive and friendly. The ecological concept forming the basis for the resort makes so much sense. It creates a feeling of almost subliminal luxury - you're walking or cycling barefoot everywhere on sand in friendly "jungle" type surroundings, strolling along white sandy beaches, snorkeling in turquoise waters, eating exquisitely prepared food, living in a fabulously comfortable rustic villa by the sea and being looked after by lovely professional friendly staff what more could you ask for? I don't want to advise on the best type of villa or the best location because - 1. it depends on your budget and - 2. even the view of the adjacent island with it's small communication mast is acceptable - I think. There is one small boutique type shop close to the guest relations hut which sells both ladies and men's beach and casual clothing together with gifts and jewellery, disposable underwater cameras etc. Dress code is definitely casual in the evening and given that it is a barefoot experience, my advice - leave the "cruisewear" at home and save on the packing. Thank you Anthony, Laurie, Jasper, Mujay, Didi and Akhmeen, you all helped make our holiday so memorable.

Room Tip: Just go with the flow and relax! The whole island is delightful.
1  Thank melc18

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to know that you had an enjoyable stay at Soneva Fushi and thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about your holiday experience with us. My Team and I greatly appreciate your compliments and we will continue seeking ways to enhance our guests’ experience.

We look forward to welcoming you for another holiday with us, hopefully soon.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I went to go and stay with my family at the Soneva Fushi Resort in Maldives with my family last year and this hotel has adapted the concept of a 'green' eco friendly hotel with wearing no shoes. Therefore, they take away your shoes which, was the only very few things I did not like because your feet have to walk on sand always it hurts because they let it be they do not do anything with the sand. Its gross walking their outside without any shoes at any time especially when it rains its just gross and icky! I would say it is more for couples because its so isolated from society and they spread the villas apart so that they have their own privacy I would say not a good hotel in the Maldives for family. That is a once in a lifetime and I will not go out of my way to go back their, it was not the best experience for me. However, the rooms were very interesting I liked them a lot and when we were their in one of our rooms a rat fell out of the air condition which, freaked me out it was just scary and gross but right after we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite because the staff felt really bad. Overall an interesting experience

Room Tip: Choose the tree house aspect room if you were to go their because it is very cool however, the windo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nayal b
MLESAManager, General Manager at Soneva Fushi, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recently posted comments. Soneva Fushi prides itself in intelligent luxury working hand in hand with the environment, local communities and reducing our carbon foot prints in all that we do. We never skimp on service or product and it is here at Soneva Fushi where one can find Michelin Star Chefs cooking the finest cuisine with most of the ingredients grown on our island, and drinking fine wines from our underground wine cellar which has one of the biggest selections of wines in the entire country.

Walking around with no shoes is what we refer to as barefoot luxury – the feeling of the warm Indian ocean and silky soft sands under your feet is considered by many a luxury which cannot be found in another place. I’m sorry that you did not enjoy this. Of course you would have been more than welcome to wear shoes in and around our resort if you so wished.

Soneva Fushi attracts not only couples, honeymooners, seasonal travelers, repeaters, but also many families as well. We have the biggest villas in the Maldives, ranging from our 8 bedroom, 6 bedroom, 4 bedroom and 2 bedroom private residences as well as luxurious Suites and Crusoe villas. To add to our family experiences, we are also in the process of building a Children’s Den this year for our younger Soneva guests which not only will be super fun but having it run by Child Liaison Officers, Marine Biologists and Environmentalists. Children will be able to learn more about themselves, the country and the planet which is a part of our SLOWLIFE Philosophy of Learning Inspiring Fun Experiences.

We hope to welcome you back to Soneva Fushi.

Laurie Burr

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kunfunadhoo
Amilla Fushi
Amilla Fushi
#5 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Kihaa Maldives
Kihaa Maldives
#12 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at Landaa Giraavaru
Four Seasons Resort Maldives at ...
#1 of 1 in Landaagiraavaru Island
#1 of 15 in Baa Atoll
Dusit Thani Maldives
Dusit Thani Maldives
#6 of 15 in Baa Atoll

Been to Soneva Fushi? Share your experiences!