“A place to go back to...”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inverness
Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inverness
Been There, USA
“A place to go back to...”
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Having grown up in San Francisco, I knew what to expect in the Point Reyes area. I was delighted when an opportunity to stay in Inverness with some friends came up. The Inn was everything I expected and more. The cabins are well appointed (I peeked in several) and very clean. Although we weren't there long enough to cook our meals, the mini-kitchen was well appointed and given the wonderful gourmet market in town, "eating in" would definitely ease the cost of restaurant dining (good, but not many options). If you want to be catered to, entertained, or are "high maintenance" and a party animal, this is NOT the place for you! Stay here to enjoy the hiking, bird watching, beach combing, and cruising around nearby wine country. The owners are warm, caring, and operate the Inn with obvious attention to environmental values. One word of warning, being in a small valley, the temperature will drop in the evening so bring a sweater along with the sunscreen for sunny days on the beach.

• Liked — Proximity to beautiful scenery, quite restfulness
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carry-on-Cat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Anchorage
Reviewed October 1, 2008

The proximity to Point Reyes National Seashore could not be better - easy access to beaches, trails, and gorgeous scenery. The Inn's grounds are wooded, cabins comfortable, quiet, secluded, and lots of natural light. The innkeepers are very welcoming and establish a casual, easy-going atmosphere. We will definitely return.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Williamstown, Mass.
Reviewed September 11, 2008

The Inverness Valley Inn is a delightful and peaceful inn with well appointed, comfortable rooms. The location could not be better - close to Tomales Bay and to the Paific Ocean. There are pleasant walks on the property and the bird life, particularly the humming birds, is fascinating to watch. The atmosphere is quiet and peaceful. It is a short walk ( or ride) to Inverness where there are pleasant restaurants and a good grocery store. I always feel refreshed after a stay at the Inverness Valley Innand I am always eager to return there.

Stayed March 2008
sf
Reviewed September 2, 2008

The website of this inn is very misleading-it looks like a pastoral paradise, when in fact it is neglected and like a cheap motel. Everything is cheap and tacky-the kitchenette is impossible to cook in, no counter space, no teaspoons, a toaster that wouldn't pop up. There is a hiking trail into the woods which is nice, but otherwise there is nothing I would recommend about this place. I have stayed in many places in this area, and this is by far the worst. If it were half the price it would be okay, but not for what it costs.

• Liked — the hike
  • Disliked — how cheap everything felt
  • Stayed August 2008
2 Thank alyseSf
Vacaville,Ca
Reviewed July 27, 2008

This was the hugest disapointment! This dump looks nothing like the website. It's criminal how they misrepresented themselves... As soon as we arrived the rusty basketball hoop in the driveway should have been our first get out of here clue. The pool was digustingly dirty and unheated. We were smart enough to ask to see the room before registering, It STUNK!. The pillowcases had spagetti sauce on them and other "who knows what stains." The T.V. had only VHS. The chairs were dirty and stained. Dog hair was all over the comforter. A sign saying "the toilet can only be flushed once or it will overflow" Mosquitos. No sign of tennis courts and only a crusty area for horseshoes. Run down property Yuck! My children 8, 9, 14 refused to stay in this poophole of a place. When I as politely as I could I told the innkeepers that we could not stay for the reasons listed above, she said everyone who comes here loves it and if I don't like it "JUST LEAVE" Another guest came out to say she completely agreed with me but was stuck there because they couldn't find anywhere else to stay. NEVER AQAIN!

Stayed July 2008
3 Thank lilboos
berylwinkle, manager at Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore, responded to this review, July 29, 2008
"Lilboos" from Vacaville, California breezed in 2 hours before check in time, when our staff was intent on getting the rooms ready for the new guests on a very busy day at the inn. The innkeeper kindly interrupted the task at hand to greet "lilboos" and was persuaded to allow her to enter the room just to leave perishable food in the fridge before it was fully cleaned and ready for occupancy . Similarly, "lilboos" checked out the pool before it had undergone the mid day cleaning on a windy day, when debris from the trees was constantly blowing into the water. Our reward for trying to be flexible with a guest arriving early was this review, which is not based on a stay at the Inverness Valley Inn.
I was called by the innkeeper from my mid day inn chores to talk with this guest.( by this time 1 1/2 hours before our check-in time). I approached her smiling, and listened to what she had to say . I immediately understood that she had already made up her mind to leave and that it would not be fruitful to explain that we were not yet ready for guests to check in. So I simply said that most people who come here love the place and that if she was not happy she should just leave. I was not rude, but there was nothing more to say, the unpleasant incident had taken precious time from the readying of rooms, and it was time to go back to work.
To clarify the other comments, we have 2 basketball hoops, one old and one new. We do not claim that our pool is heated, that all rooms have DVD players (though most are equipped), or that our tennis court is visible from the front of our 15-acre property. Like all properties that are compliant with the building code, our toilets are of the low flow variety. As a courtesy to guests, a sign in the bathroom explains how to avoid toilet problems. It does not state that the toilet can only be flushed once or it will overflow.
Most of our guests do love Inverness Valley Inn, and many do return again and again.
Sonoma
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Second time we stayed here. Loved it just as much. The innkeepers were very social and accomodating. (and S.F.Giants fans too!)
Everything was clean and well maintained. They are very much a "GREEN" inn and that is refreshing.
We saw lots of big groups staying at the Inn. Lots of back deck BBQ and laughing.

We will absolutely come back here again and again!!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed May 27, 2008

The Point Reyes/Inverness area is a beautiful place to explore, however, one significiant downside is the lack of nice accommodations. We thought the Inverness Valley Inn looked good online, however, we were very disappointed almost immediately upon arrival. For starters, the hotel identifies itself as "dog friendly," advertising a running area in which dogs can play off-leash. After a few hours in the car, my dog was very eager for the opportunity to run around, so I decided to try to find the run area. Given that the whole propoerty is run down with random fenced in areas all over the place, I thought I had found the dog area after walking into what appeared to be a fenced in section of the property. Another guest and her dog were standing there as well, equally confused, so we decided that this must be the place. We took our small, well-behaved dogs off their leashes and they begain to sniff at eachother in a very low key manner. This was apparently enough to warrant deep concern by the hotel manager, who accosted us and asked if the dogs were off leash. Clearly they were, which I stated. The person then began to huff about the fact that we were not in the correct area and continued complaining about it even as the other person and I were leashing our dogs to take them to another random place on the property. This was not the friendly welcome I had hoped to receive upon arrival; in fact, this was the sole time the hotel management acknowledged us. Even as we were leaving, there was not a "How was your stay?" or a thank you for the business.

The hypervigilance about where the dogs could and could not walk was annoying enough; in fact, their literature states that the dogs cannot even walked on the "finely manicured" sections of the property. I did not see a glimpse of "finely manicured" anything during my three days at this place. If this was the Ritz, I might be able to understand the concern, but this place really was a dump. The pool was not heated and had large chunks of debris floating around. The bed was uncomfortable and the room had stains on the wall that had clearly been there for a long time. The deck furniture was at least 30% rust. The family in the room next to us was pleasant, but we could hear their every word due to the paper-thin walls. I never did find the "trail" that was advertised as the whole thing was basically like a trailer park. And this would have maybe been okay without the harassment about dogs, notices about finely manicured lawns, and note in the room stating that we should leave a tip. You can't have it both ways--either build a nice place with rules to keep it nice or build a dump and let the customers cut loose. But the Ritz rules in the Super 8 quality just left us feeling like we got screwed.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — disgust
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank LMHSKE
berylwinkle, owner at Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore, responded to this review, July 29, 2008
There is a reason why most lodging does not welcome dogs; some dog owners do not comply with rules designed to keep dogs from interfering with the enjoyment of others. Some dog owners equate "dog friendly" with allowing dogs to run free at the expense of others.
Two dogs are resident at the Inn, and we have made a big effort to accommodate responsible dog owners and their "perfectly behaved" dogs. Six of our twenty rooms are "dog-friendly". We provide beds, treats, Biobags, and a fenced-in exercise area for our dog guests. Dog owners are provided with a copy of our dog rules in their email confirmation and when they check in. We are strict about our leash rule, because dogs off leash intimidate some guests and are a threat to the chickens, goats, sheep and wildlife that live here. Most guests who bring dogs here express appreciation for the dog-friendly atmosphere here.
It is unfortunate that the writer of this review happened to be standing with the owner of a dog who had already been reminded politely several times to keep the dog on a leash when I "accosted" her. During this incident, I ran up to the other dog owner to ask her for the third or fourth time to wait until she was in the fenced in dog run to let the dog off-leash. I ran because we have a big property and I wanted to act quickly to avoid having the dogs chase the baby goats. I had already explained to the latter guest that off-leash dogs were a threat to the baby goats and chickens and had pointed the way to the dog run. There may have been irritation in my voice, but I was not rude. Other dog owners seem to have no trouble distinguishing "random" livestock and tennis court fencing from the Inverness Valley Inn dog run.
The only guests that we do not greet personally are guests who check in late, after 8 pm. We would have been happy to show this reviewer the way to the dog run and nature trail had we been asked. Every day we spend a lot of time chatting with guests and providing information about our place and the larger Point Reyes area.
As for the characterization of the property in general, it is a 15-acre property that has many native plants, informal gardens and natural areas. We use only organic landscape techniques, goats and sheep provide some of the mowing. There is one cargo container in the back that is painted with a mural depicting the Point Reyes area. Most guests characterize the place as beautiful. Our dog rules simply ask that dogs not be allowed to urinate on the "maintained landscaping", meaning flowers and shrubs. We do not claim to have pristine landscaping and nowhere do we say that dogs are not allowed to walk on "pristine landscaping". Dogs and their owners can and do stroll on-leash all over the 15 acres.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverness
The Lodge at Point Reyes
#3 of 10 in Inverness
Point Reyes Hostel
Point Reyes Hostel
#1 of 2 in Point Reyes Station

Been to Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore? Share your experiences!