“Extremley rude people, so bad we left the first night we were there!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inverness
Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We showed up and there dog was unleashed and ran up on me barking as I got out of the car. Would not stop barking and then another guest showed up and the dog started growling and barking at him. The lady said "oh its just men he goes after". Anyway the dog barked the whole time, unleashed and running back and forth between me and another guy. OK we got to our room and unpacked. Out playing catch with the kid and a guy came up and said the dog has to be on a leash. We put the dog inside the cabin and then he said you can not leave the dog alone in the cabin. He was rude and in my face bad. My goodness what is your problem. Would you like us to leave and he said yes. Unbelievable: OK we left on a Friday evening with no reservations. My wife was happy because the place was extremely cramped and smelled like dog urine. The TV's were 12" bad. The whole place was bad and I was happy to get out of there. I am going to check my bank tomorrow o make sure he refunded our money.

Room Tip: These people were rude!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Sleeplessness
Andrew H, Owner at Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

As I said to this guest at the time, I am sorry their visit went so poorly. This property has a number of dog friendly rooms, and as such we have specific policies about dogs. These are spelled out on the policy page of our web site, and in the confirmation notice that every guest receives at the time that they make their reservation. These policies specify that dogs must be leashed, and that dogs cannot be left unattended in the room. We also provide an enclosed dog run. We generally try to maintain a relaxed attitude about dogs, but in this case I encountered their large 80 lb. bulldog several buildings away as other frightened guests called me to get the dog out of their rooms. I did not know whose dog it was, as there was no one around to whom it was connected. I followed the dog until I encountered the owners. I tried to explain the issues at hand. His response was to ask if I wanted them to leave, and I said that if they felt our policies were unacceptable, then yes. I was then called to the previously disturbed guests room, where I had to clean up where the bulldog had “marked” in the room.
This guest had a 2 bedroom 465 square foot family suite with a TV in each room; they are 20” and 14”. It’s interesting that they hated the room so much, as his wife complimented the room during a visit to the office looking for a toaster, which we loaned to her. We do have cancellation fees, but while I have never felt so bullied by a guest, I still felt bad for the family, and have never charged them anything.

There are newer reviews for Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed two nights at this location, reserved it months in advance. Room 5, the one on the left as pictured had a fan running when we arrived as it was a warm day. But the room smelled of dog and the location is "dog friendly". The smell did not go away, but after being in the room for a while one did not notice it. The place was sold out for the weekend we were there, and we were not in the room except to sleep, but for the money I think one could do better, or at least ask for a room that does not smell of dog.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms near the bypass road, and if you don't like dog smell ask for a room that h...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Gorsefighter
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Lovely setting in the redwoods, room was nicely decorated and spacious. VERY comfy mattress and nice kitchenette so we saved money by bringing food from home and cooking easy things...mostly heating up stuff. Great water pressure in shower.

Rooms are in buildings with 4 rooms together, back to back. We never heard one person yet the parking lot was full so thanks to other guests who are respectful of others. If this place is noise, we can't blame the owners but rather inconsiderate guests.

We would definitely stay again. Thanks to the new owners for making this a nice stay.

Oh...almost forgot....the windows on one wall are floor to ceiling and the top third don't have drapes....too high to worry about privacy, but if early morning light is a problem for you, bring an eye mask. I enjoyed waking to to see the tops of the redwood trees and put a dry washcloth on my eyes and went back for a little more sleep.

Room Tip: Ask the owner for advice...there are a few rooms close to the main road so you might hear some cars...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Another Fantastic Stay! We stayed here for four days two years ago when this place was the Inverness Valley Inn. We had a great time, very peaceful. We came back this summer expecting another great stay and it was. This time we stayed five days. The recent change in ownership appeared seamless. The new owners, Sue and Andy, are very friendly. They've done some gardening, but it is still the quiet, serene, natural environment that we were expecting. It's a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We've stayed in Rooms 3, 9, and 10. 9 and 10 are further from the highway; therefore quieter. Al...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We just spent a delightful night with our dog at the Inverness Valley Inn-soon to be called the Cabins at Point Reyes Seashore. The Inn was recently taken over by new owners who are in the process of updating and making the place their own. It is a beautiful, comfortable, private setting with many activities available both on the property and nearby. One of the most beautiful spots in the world, The Point Reyes National Seashore, is only minutes away, as well as the small town of Inverness with a great cafe and a couple good restaurants. Tomales Bay with sunny beaches is just down the road. This is a versatile spot that can be enjoyed by couples, families, large groups or just solo travelers. We loved the quiet nights and beautiful starry night sky and will definitely be back to enjoy more of the area. We highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: Dog friendly rooms are available.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank linny18
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had a wondeful time over the 4th of July weekend...the new ownership is really taking pride in the property. Although the area has some deferred maintance the rooms were clean, quite and in private setting. Lots of sun and open rooms with small kitchen and living area. Nice deck in a private setting...very close to all the key activities in Point Reyes.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We decided at the last minute to spend the 4th up in Inverness. Neither of us had spent any time in the area and we wanted to bring our Australian Shepherd. The Inverness Valley Inn was the first place that could take all three of us. (FYI-the IVI is changing their name to Cabins at Point Reyes).

This name change is a good one as we were expecting an Inn and there wasn't one. There are just cabins. We were part of a two cabin unit that shared a wall. We had a two bedroom unit. It was clean and eco friendly. They provided us with two Dog towels which we made good use of. The kitchen facilities were minimal (2 electric burners, a dorm style refrigerator and a microwave). And the plates and cookware were also minimal (only 2 coffee mugs).

The location was quiet (except for our neighbor's noisy kids and thin walls). The advertised nature trail was bordered by poison oak so we didn't follow it far. We did not use the pool or hot tub as there was so much to do off-property.

The location was great, about ten minutes from Pt. Reyes Station which has several nice restaurants and a great gourmet grocery store.

The owner (or managers we were not sure) were helpful with pointing out dog friendly hikes. And when we needed matches to light the bbq, they brought them over post haste.

Living in San Francisco, it's nice to know that there is such a fantastic getaway area just a little over an hour away (much more convenient than Tahoe). And if you have Verizon as your carrier there was good service and the wifi network was very good.

Room Tip: There are only a few dog-friendly rooms. You have to book them over the phone as opposed to on-line.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Packer220
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverness
The Lodge at Point Reyes
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Valley Ford Hotel
Valley Ford Hotel
#1 of 1 in Valley Ford

Been to Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore? Share your experiences!