“a perfect retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Inverness
Osprey Peak Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 10 Inverness B&B and Inns
Lutherville Timonium, Maryland
“a perfect retreat”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

On my California trip I was looking to see some of the National parks. Osprey Peak is very close to both Point Rryes National Seashore and Muir Woods National Monument.

The Innkeepers are so welcoming and create an environment that is so supportive. They advised on the sights of interest in their area. Our visit was during the middle of the week and it was perfect for relaxing and achieved our goal of having fun.

In addition Nancy is a very accomplished artist and her artistic style is displayed tastefully through out the B&B; and her style perfectly complements the serene atmosphere she and David create in this peaceful space.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank WalshHome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Unfortunately, I think I can be a fairly picky person- with regards to food, people, service- for no particular reason. But I have absolutely nothing bad to say about David and Nancy's B&B. Nothing. It is fantastic for so many reasons. A few:

1. David and Nancy are no-nonsense, genuinely friendly and helpful people. They aren't pretentious or overly subservient, but treat you as their guest, in a wonderfully to the point and unobtrusive manner. This may make them sound stand-offish, but rather, they are not in the least; every time I knocked on their door, one of them was ready to help me with whatever I needed (tea, advice on trails to hike, etc) within 30 seconds. More than that, they are just so friendly, caring, and fun to talk to, if you engage them (they don't annoyingly talk your ear off for hours if you want to just be alone and read a book). We had great discussions about tea cups, cafes and pizza in town, food and nutrition, hiking, local news, what to do with one's life... the list goes on. If we'd had more time, I would have loved to have stayed for dinner to continue our conversations. Think of them more as good family friends, without the drama, than as your "innkeepers"--- or maybe this is how innkeepers should be?

2. The room (Bay) was simple but beautiful, well-kept, nicely carpeted floors, robes, comfy towels, nice sheets/comforter, wine glasses+corkscrew, vacuum-flask cooled water pitcher with glasses, E&O shampoo/conditioner/soap, other toiletries available if needed, beautiful view of the pine forest, nice wood beam ceilings. A great place to have as a base and to sleep/shower when not out and about in Pt. Reyes.

3. The food. Out of this world. I'm a complete food/health freak, have been vegetarian for 6 years and mostly vegan for the past year, and these guys have made it easy for me! They give you a menu to check whatever you want for breakfast, so you can make it vegan if you like. All sorts of fruit (kiwi, mango, pinapple, apple, pear, banana), hot Bovine Bakery sticky bun (better than Tartine's in SF- I didn't know this was possible), warmed/toasted Brickmaiden bread, different types of local artisan cheese, Straus yogurt, homemade (delicious) granola, hot cereals (steel cut oats, quinoa...), organic coffees (reg/decaf), OJ, and Straus milk, soy milk, and almond milk. Yes I've mostly memorized it. Because it rocks! Also because we were doing 10+ mile trail runs each day in addition to long bike rides, so food was at the forefront of my mind, to say the least. AND Nancy had been experimenting with new cookie recipes, both of which, that we tried, were vegan from the PPK folks--- we had NO idea they were vegan until she told us, but we both thought they were some of the best cookies we had ever tasted (and so perfectly baked)! Also, tea and cookies in the afternoon/evening were wonderful, with a huge selection of organic teas from a German guy in Mill Valley who has been selling teas for 30+ years... the Moroccan Knights was delicious. Ask for more hot water refills if you fancy! And the tea cups were beautiful, handmade by a previous local who had moved to Japan.

4. The area--- Pt. Reyes was fantastic for road biking (to the lighthouse and back about 30 miles, but watch out for those sustained 50mph headwinds!!!) and trail running (Tomales Point exposed and windy but well worth it--- elk roaming nearby, sea lions at the point, amazing sunset; Coastal Trail near Bolinas to the falls (hard to reach the actual falls, FYI) again had gorgeous cliff side views, amazing sunset, great trails, ponds; Inverness Trail to Bucklin to Estero and Muddy Hollow and Bayview trails (ask David/Nancy about this) was the pinnacle, amazing views, great topography, almost mystical young pine-tree tunnels, more elk, coast views, no one else sighted for 10 miles on a sunny Sunday afternoon... can not be beat!

5. Drinking delicious coffee on a somewhat cool Sunday morning on the back porch taking photographs of the morning light, watching hummingbirds, and reading the news/books. And the stars at night. I'm sad I'm back at work now...

6. About the area: Local band (Danny Vitali) playing at the Blackbird- great community and music, great way to digest delicious pizza from Cafe Reyes--- (far better than Delfina in SF, in my opinion, and cheaper!) made in 800* flash oven and ready in less than 10 minutes.

Please, please, please do yourself a favor and spend two nights here, heck a week. Don't think about it. Just do. You will not regret it. We, and our family/friends, will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The rooms are like twins--- they are identical in everything but aesthetics, and are both great (fro...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Ken Caryl, Colorado
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Only two rooms in this B&B in Inverness located on a hilltop, surrounded by trees. The rooms feel more like cabins with high ceilings, a queen bed and small but comfortable bathroom. We particularly eating breakfast on the porch with a multitude of hummingbirds darting back and forth. Breakfast was a veritable feast of local cheeses, homemade breads, yogurt, organic milk, hot cereal and other delicacies.
The inn is a short drive from Point Reyes Station and Point Reyes National Seashore. We had a very nice dinner at Osteria Stellina in Point Reyes Station.

Room Tip: Both rooms are the same and next to one another.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dez_and_AJ
California
Reviewed January 6, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Osprey Peak in December 2011. This is a small B&B and very quiet. The bed was comfortable and the room tastefully decorated. The owners are wonderful hosts. The breakfast, although not a traditional hot/cooked meal was very good-- local cheeses and milk from Strauss organic dairy. Gourmet breads and sticky buns from the local bakery; very fresh fruit; great coffee, and more. We very much enjoyed the food.

2 Thank drsteinca
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed January 3, 2012

I surprised my husband with a trip to Osprey Peak over the holiday break. I had never seen it in person but I trusted the reviews and am glad that I did! It is a beautiful bed and breakfast styled like an old Japanese farmhouse. The innkeepers are attentive, kind, and welcoming. They do a wonderful job at maintaining privacy while still making sure all your needs are met. My favorite part of the stay was the breakfast-it was delicious! They asked us for our breakfast requests the night before and we indulged! We ordered almost everything on the menu. We felt a little sheepish when David brought out all of our food, but he was gracious and we were glad we tried it all, specifically the sticky buns from Bovine Bakery. Most, if not all, of the food was locally produced in Marin County, which was an extra treat for locavores like us. The location was great too-it is a steep drive up to the Inn, but you are rewarded by feeling like you are in the middle of a forest. It is quiet, peaceful, and altogether lovely. We highly recommend it!

2 Thank MeandmisterC
Oakland
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Excellent service with amazing breakfast selection. Beautiful surroundings. Very clean and comfortable rooms. Great deck to watch hummingbirds and enjoy the morning air. Short drive from the coast where we saw whales swim by and shucked many oysters! Highly recommend!

2 Thank Brian W
Sacramento, California
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I had been looking forward to taking my wife to Osprey Peak for over a year. The glowing reviews signaled the gem-status of this B&B, and I was excited to take my wife there for our first anniversary. We stayed two nights, and had the most wonderful time. This is a very special little place, and the hosts are truly a big part of what makes the experience so great. From the hot tea to the home-made cookies to an amazing breakfast, we were treated like royalty. The peaceful surroundings balanced with the comfortable indoor furnishings, and we felt at home. Point Reyes is a magical place to visit, and staying at Osprey Peak is the best way to experience it. Thanks to Dave & Nancy for an excellent stay and we are looking forward to coming back for years to come!

- David & Whitney

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverness
The Lodge at Point Reyes
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley
Ten Inverness Way
Ten Inverness Way
#3 of 10 in Inverness

Been to Osprey Peak Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!