“World class view with darned good food”
Review of Drake's Beach Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Drake's Beach Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Go for a walk on the beach, and warm up with coffee, hot cocoa, tasty fish and chips, local oysters, or a burger. Nothing fancy but very tasty.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

I liked the fish and chips with garlic added to the the fries. I didn't like as much the clam chowder since we couldn't find much clams and the broth was not thick and creamy but we did find plenty of potatoes, onions and carrots with watery buttery broth. I felt sorry for the two persons working there since they had to do everything. They busted the table, cooked, was cashier and cleaned the tables and refilled all the supplies and they probably washed the dishes. While we were there,the ice machine ran out of ice so they got it from the back, and we had to ask them to clean the table, refill the missing straws, etc. Rated by Zagats?? Overall the food was very good.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

While the restaurant is rustic, the food is actually good. The beach and views from the restaurant are stunning. Try this cafe for lunch, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed February 8, 2010

We went here April 2009 for dinner - the standard burger joint turns into an incredible intimate restaurant. I think we had 4-5 courses starting with bread, olive oil and olives, and then smoked trout blini, english pea flan, blood orange salad,choice or lamb or scallops. Incredible. It is BYO wine because they can't have liquor due to it being in a national park. Call ahead and make sure they are still doing these wonderful dinners. My ratings are for dinner only.

Reviewed August 28, 2009

This was one of the highlights of our Fall 2008 vacation to the San Francisco area. After spending 4 days there, we started to tour the surrounding country -- going first to Point Reyes. While there we decided (well in advance) to have dinner at this restaurant. And what a great choice it was -- one of the most intimate, cozy settings we've experienced, with outstanding food.

You need to understand what an unusual setting and situation this is. During the daytime for lunch, it is a typical beach concession for the Drake's Beach crowd. Then, in the evening (on weekends only, I think) it transforms into a gourmet restaurant. It only has about a dozen tables, so reservations are a must for their one seating (sometimes two seatings in the busier tourist season).

The cost was a fixed $48 per person for a 4-course dinner (the menu changes each night) -- a salad, two appetizers, and a choice of two items for the main course: (for us) Grilled Mediterranean Bronzino or Grilled Lamb Sirloin. My wife had one, and I had the other -- and both were excellent. The two appetizers were: Seared Diver Scallop and Roasted King Trumpet Mushroom. Dessert and drinks were an extra cost.

The owners are the chefs (Ben and Zach), and their wives (the servers). Very friendly young people. They were absolutely meticulous about their food preparation -- both taste and appearance. Combine that with a cozy environment, and with crashing surf and rain against the window outside -- and it was an altogether enchanting experience.

The only downside to be aware of is the 2-lane driving distance to get there, about 20 miles from where we stayed (in Olema), out on Point Reyes National Seashore. And there was a light rain falling the evening we went out there. But no matter, it was definitely worth it. We would do it again if we were in the area. Recommended!

(Note: I am really amazed that no one has written a review on this restaurant previously -- and that's why it took so long for me to get this review posted. It took a long time for the T/A folks to list this restaurant on their system so I could write a review.)

3  Thank Weston66