1,626 results
All reviewsfront deskfree parkingfree breakfastbagelscomfortable bedbusiness centerthe shuttle driverother hotelshot breakfastan overnight stayan early flightconvenient locationone night staylos angelescar rentalcentury blvdscott
Reviewed March 29, 2012

If what you need is a good clean hotel at a reasonable price, this is your place. Due to scheduling changes I was stuck in LA for a day. I stayed at the Wingate for two nights. It's a nice clean hotel. Think Holiday Inn Express +1. Free parking as well and very close to the airport. I recommend for travelers needing a clean and affordable place to stay. No restaurant, no bar but free breakfast, Nice and clean which is my deciding factor. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2012

On a recent overseas trip out of LAX we stayed at the Super 8 LAX (a Wyndham property) on the way out and the Wingate on the way back. We had major shuttle problems at the Super 8 and the Wingate shuttle experience could have been better. With the Wingate, we called for the shuttle at 8:50 PM. At 9:30 PM we called again. It gets frustrating watching other shuttles and travelers come and go while you stand there. Just before 10 PM we were about to call again, when our shuttle showed up. When I complained to the driver, he showed me his log which indicated that he had been dispatched at 9:47 PM.

This is what I think happens. Most of the hotels around LAX use the same shuttle service. The larger and more expensive ones, however, have shuttles dedicated just to them and those are the ones that are seen on a regular basis. Hotels like the Super 8 and Wingate use the shuttles on an on call basis. This leaves room for dispatcher error and, as I would think the shuttles have programable signs, driver error if they forget to change the sign. So it's the luck of the draw with shuttles to the less expensive hotels. Sometimes it works well with a short wait--sometimes you stand under the red hotel shuttle sign for a long time.

Once we got to the hotel it was pretty good. Nice big clean room with a king size bed that passed the bedbug inspection. About a three block walk to McDonalds and a convenience store through a well lite area that didn't appear too scary. The 5 AM shuttle arrived right on time-just as they were putting out the breakfast. It looked good. Wish we would have had time to try it.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank muskrat2
Reviewed March 15, 2012

Great location to the airport with free shuttle service. Rooms are nice and clean and spacious with great rates. There is room to park your car if but spaces are limited. There is complimentary breakfast, tea and coffee and WiFi. Would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rinnie S
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My wife works for an airline, so I do most of my travel in the "standby passenger" mode. As a result, I often find myself looking for a hotel at the last minute when it's apparent that I'll be stuck at an airport. After hopping on the internet, I found this hotel at a decent price for it's star rating.

The hotel appears to be fairly new and is in excellent condition. The room size is typical for this class of hotel. The bathroom was very clean and had the usual toiletries on the counter. I stay at a lot of hotels (I know, I need to be writing more reviews)...this hotel has the most comfortable beds that I've ever experienced in a hotel.

Since this hotel is close to LAX, I will assume that a decent percentage of patrons are those who are having to stay overnight because of flight cancellations, etc. and will most likely have to be back at the airport in the early morning hours. This is where this hotel has a problem. In my case, I telephoned the hotel at 9:55 pm to let them know that I was at the Hotel Shuttle Pickup location at LAX for terminal 7. I was told that a shuttle would be by shortly. I called the hotel 35 minutes later to ask about the status of the shuttle (keep in mind, this hotel is less than 2 miles away), and I was told that the shuttle should be by any minute. LAX just happens to have roving "troubleshooters" equipped with radios. The lady assigned to the area I was waiting had noted that I'd been there for quite some time. She called it in...the shuttle appeared 3 minutes later...total time from call to shuttle pickup...40 minutes. I arrived at the hotel a few minutes later only to get in a rather long line of people waiting to check in (only one person behind the desk handling check-in, phonecalls, etc.). 20 minutes later, I was issued my keycards. Here's my gripe. When you're dealing with airport travelers, they typically have very little down time between arriving and departing. By the time I spent the hour in getting to the hotel and getting checked in, I had only 4 hours before I had to get up and prepare to catch the 4:30 am shuttle back to the airport.

Botton line, if you're looking for a place to catch a quick night's sleep before heading back to the airport, find a place that will maximize your down time by not holding you up in the transport and check-in process. During my 40 minutes at the pickup location, I noticed that most of the hotels located on Century Blvd had shuttles that appeared every 10 minutes. An added benefit of staying on Century Blvd is the ability to grab a quick bite to eat. This hotel was several blocks away (in a very dark, industrial setting) from any eateries.

On the plus side, the hotel itself is very nice and the beds very comfy...great place to stay if you're doing more than bedding down between flights.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank finewine57
Reviewed February 11, 2012

I was flying out of LAX in the morning and wanted to stay somewhere that was reasonably close by. There are a number of hotels in this general area and this one was somewhat less expensive than most of the others. There is a free shuttle from the airport, though it took quite a while (maybe a half hour or more) for it to arrive. As we left the Airport, I could see that the neighborhood was getting progressively worse. I had done my research before going and I knew that about 3 blocks away there was a family owned Mexican restaurant that was favorably reviewed. That was one of the reasons I had decided to stay at the Wingate.

I arrived after dark and I'm used to walking around sketchy neighborhoods in large cities so I was ok with the walk over the restaurant (there is nowhere to eat in the immediate vicinity of the hotel) but you do have to walk underneath a freeway (which gets pretty dark) and if I were a woman (or even in a small group of women) I really don't think I would have tried this after dark. Well the restaurant (Casa Gomino on W. Century) was an interesting little family place. The food was pretty uninspired (kind of bland and seemingly made with cheap ingredients, but I could sit at the bar and watch a Lakers game while I ate, so I was reasonably satisfied.

Ah, but this is a review of the hotel. There was lot's to like here at a pretty middle of the road hotel. They gave me a couple of free bottles of water on check-in. The room was reasonable comfortable, and the free breakfast in the morning was outstanding....
Waffles, bacon... really more than I expected.

Aside from the neighborhood, the one problem I had with this hotel was the heating system. This was one of those hotels where each room has it's own heating/air conditioning unit. Generally I have no problem with these, except when they are very loud and keep cycling on and off all night. There was a setting that I thought would keep the fan on all the time (so it wouldn't keep turning on and off) but there was nothing I could do to stop the cycling. I have found this to be occasionally the case in other hotels as well and it's extremely annoying. Enough to make me not want to stay here again. The bottom line is that because of this, I can't really recommend the place, but if you are a sound sleeper, you'll probably do fine.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family