“Much worse than most other Motel 6's”

Motel 6 Los Angeles LAX
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Inglewood
Los Angeles, CA
“Much worse than most other Motel 6's”
Reviewed August 25, 2004

I've stayed at well over a hundred different Motel 6's all over America across several decades, and Motel 6 is almost always my first choice, because the places are dependably clean, comfortable enough, and inexpensive. Accordingly, when some very good friends visited me from Scotland recently, I heartily recommended their staying at the Motel 6 at LAX for the night before their early-morning flight back to Scotland; I made a reservation for them, and escorted them to the hotel on that last night.

When we arrived, the lobby immediately suggested that perhaps the place wasn't quite up to the normally very decent Motel 6 standards, so I asked the somewhat surly desk clerk to see the room before booking it. The room proved to be unusually dingy, smelled musty, and badly needed painting. The one double (not queen) bed sagged, the floor was only medium-clean, and perhaps half of the light bulbs were burned out. Wow, was I ever embarrassed, in view of the praise I had given America's Motel 6's to my Scottish guests! Needless to say, we left and I took my visitors elsewhere.

Almost without exception, I've never had a problem at a Motel 6 in my many, many stays -- except twice, and this place was one of the two exceptions (the Belmont, CA Motel 6 near San Francisco airport is the other exception). I cannot recommend this particular Motel 6 at all, unless you're even more stingy than I am.

7 Thank Arthur G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2004

I stayed here one week. The room rate, approximately $50.00 per night, is about as low as you'll find in the LAX vicinity. However, the experience of staying here was very disappointing. The motel is an old high-rise structure that appears to have once-upon-a-time been part of another lodging chain, and has seen better days. It is old looking, and well-worn inside and out. The rooms are barely passable. The walls are nicked and scratched. The carpets are filthy dirty. The beds sag, and have barely clean sheets and spreads. Things in the room are rickety, very old and dirty.

My room lacked a remote control for the television. Although I requested one many times and was promised that one would be delivered to the room, it never arrived. I was told by someone at the front desk that the previous guest threw it over the balcony to the freeway on-ramp below. Sure enough, there it was, smashed to bits six floors below.

Overall, the service was quite lousy, and housekeeping was exceptionally poor. My first night, I even found body hairs on my sheets, which obviously hadn't been changed before my arrival.

Every night of my stay, there were visits by the police department for one sort of disturbance or another. The lobby always had a gruff looking security guard or two on duty. Make no mistake, this motel in is in a tough part of town. Only two blocks away, I frequently saw prostitutes working the street, and homeless people asking for money.

One night, the fire department had to come to help free a large group of people who had overloaded the elevator, causing it to get stuck between floors. As a result, one of two elevators was out of service for the remainder of my stay. With so many guests spread over eight floors, having only one fuctioning elevator made for long waits and frequent delays. Many of the guests looked seedy and suspicious. It is definitely NOT the sort of place you'd want to go walking around at night.

Here, as at all Motel 6 locations, based on my experiences, you'll get just what you pay for. If you want to spend the minimum for a room in the LAX area, then this is where you'll want to stay. You'll be hard pressed to find a room for less money. But be forewarned, unless your tolerance for cheap, dirty, shoddy accomodations in a rough, urban neighborhood is quite high, you will come away unhappy with your stay at this location.

My advice is to look for a hotel/motel away from the LAX area, and closer to the South Bay communities (Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach). They are more expensive, but the rooms and properties are much nicer, cleaner, and in a safer area. There ARE a few nice hotels near LAX, such as the Hilton, or Hampton Inn, but they can be rather pricey. Some assess service charges for phone calls, or ask that you pay for daily parking. These additional fees, on top of room rates exceeding $100.00 per night can add up quickly. Basically, you get what you are willing to spend here in Los Angeles, as you do anywhere else, especially at a Motel 6. Pay a little, and you'll get a dump of a room at the Motel 6. Pay much more, and you'll get a clean, comfortable room at the Hyatt or Hilton. It's all a matter of what you're willing to pay to stay.

• Stayed June 2004
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inglewood
Travelodge Hotel LAX Los Angeles Intl
Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport Hotel
La Quinta Inn & Suites LAX
La Quinta Inn & Suites LAX
#118 of 351 in Los Angeles
The Westin Los Angeles Airport
#56 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Motel 6 Los Angeles LAX? Share your experiences!