“bad place for a light sleeper”

Best Western Airport Plaza Inn
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Inglewood
san francisco, ca
“bad place for a light sleeper”
Reviewed November 5, 2011

located right off a busy street w/lots of fast food (KFC, taco bell, panda express) so you hear traffic, trucks, screeching brakes, etc. thin walls + the rooms all open to the outdoors, so you also hear what's going on in the courtyard downstairs (ppl talking, high heels on concrete, rolling suitcases). teeny tiny hot tub (seats 6). free parking, free wifi (it's slow) + free breakfast (mini bagels, croissants, boiled eggs, apples, toast, waffle machine, cereal, coffee). clean room, but slow drain in sink. will not return.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank JVZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed here a couple of days to be close to LA, Culver city and the airport when returning back home. The exterior image of the Inn lets' you believe that is something appealing and warm. Not quite the charm when you get in. The check-in area is locked at times so you need to ring the bell to have the door opened. Even the printer is 15 years old with holes driven paper. The atmosphere is depressing and the neighbourhood is questionable. You cannot go by foot anywhere, it is advisable to take the car.
Rooms are fairly sized, have a small fridge, table with two chairs and a desk. Cable TV and free internet. Two stories building with an inner court. Not great if you want to rest; being close to the airport there is a lot of traffic. People just roll their bags at any time of the day (including night and very early morning hours) so slim chances to get a good night sleep.
There is no pool, just a 3-4 people hot tub in the inner court, did not see anybody there because it just feels strange.
Breakfast is included, has some nice variety but the breakfast area is very small and narrow. Majority of tables are outside, if it is warm is nice, otherwise not the most pleasant breakfast.
If you need just a place to crush before the next flight then maybe this is the one, otherwise I would try a different location. For me once was enough, ready to discover new stuff, is worth-it to take the chance.

Room Tip: Honestly, no idea which might be better. Upper floor might be quieter.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Rasvan
Sendai, Japan
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I booked this not really knowing how close it was (or was not) to LAX. The fact is that it is a good 10 minutes or more drive away. You drive pass a whole line of hotels that I imagine are no more expensive and in a better neighbourhood.
This hotel is a bit old and dingy. The room was massive (a good thing) and I really didn't have any complaints about the room.
Wifi worked fine.

But...
You are in a dodgy area. I do not recommend walking around at night unless you are feeling pretty confident. There is an interesting authentic diner (Pann's) nearby... but don't go any further than that!

At breakfast there were people who were clearly homeless wandering in and getting breakfast!

Personally, I don't care and it doesn't bother me but if you have young children you might be concerned.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I travel to Los Angeles three days a week, every week. Being rather picky, I kept on changing hotels... Finally, I found my place! I stay at Best Western Airport Plaza every week and I love it! The rooms are always super clean and the manager and staff are wonderful. It's convenient, close to everything, and has a little inn charm. Don't let the location stops you! It's closer to Westchester and to Sepulveda Blvd. than to the heart of Inglewood. Plus, it is very safe here and the hotel team are always watching for everyone's pleasure and security. I forgot! Even breakfast and coffee are great!

Room Tip: I loved each room I stayed in. All rooms are very specious and have everything one may need.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Hoover, Alabama
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Nice place and very close the LAX. Stayed here 4 nights.Shuttle service was great. Breakfast was good and a good selection. Price was very affordable. No problem with the area/location. We were in Room 221 no smoke, no problem.

Room Tip: Ist floor would be a good choice if you a lot of luggage
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We used this hotel as our base for a girl scout trip to the Los Angeles area. While it wasn't exactly what we had expected (it is a motel, with exterior corridors, in a marginal neighborhood), it turned out to be perfect for us. The rooms were clean, and the beds were comfortable. We appreciated the in-room refrigerators, wireless internet (although the internet connection was slow), and free parking. The breakfast was better than we had expected (make-your-own waffles, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, bananas, apples, cereal, donuts, juice, coffee). It was well located for our activities - most were only 20-30 minutes away. My room backed onto the street, but I overcame the noise by keeping my fan on at night. The front desk staff (particularly manager Billy) was very helpful and made our stay very pleasant.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cynical77
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 7, 2010

First you should know that Inglewood is not the best area to stay in. It is however, a very convenient location in relation to LAX.

I was traveling with my 7 year old son. We started our night, July 4th, by checking in with Meena at the BW Airport Plaza. We reserved 2 queen beds, nonsmoking. They gave us room 222. We walked in and could barely breathe through the cigarette smoke. It turns out there is a smoking room right above it. Also, there was a nice chair for the computer desk, but the desk was not there. The wall air conditioner unit had knobs that just spun in circles. We called down to let Meena know that the smoke was not from us (we didn't want to get a charge when we left) and that the desk was missing. She told us to come back down and get a key for a different room. I think it was room 212. It was a King bed instead of the 2 queens, but we were so tired and the room was fresh and cool, so we unpacked and showered. We were just getting ready for bed, pulled back the covers to black bumps on the upper sheet. I rubbed my finger over the spots and they came off on my finger (Yuk!). I pulled back the sheet further and saw what looked like pizza cheese oils. I called Meena and asked for new sheets. We only had about 7 hours until we had to leave to catch our flight at LAX. Instead of giving us sheets, she asked us to come get a new key. This was frustrating as I had to pack up our room, change clothes, and go get a new key. This next room, room 208, was the worst. The air-conditioning unit did not work. Its fan worked, but there was NO COLD AIR at all. We waited about 15 minutes, by which time sweat was running down my son's face. I called Best Western customer service at this time and asked if they would book me at the Best Western Airpark Hotel, which they did. While I was on hold, the representative called Meena and made sure she would credit my gift card back so I could use it elsewhere. The rep. got back on the phone with me and told me that Meena was taking care of it and we should go down to the desk to pick it up. I got down stairs and Meena said it would take days to take care of it. I tried calling customer service again, but they were closed for the night. I asked her to have an employee (I had just seen a man talking with her in BW clothing) come up and see that the A/C was not working. We didn't want to seem like crazy guests. She smirked and said there was no one else there and she couldn't leave the desk. I asked about the man and she said he already left. After sitting in my car trying to get a manager from BW cust. serv. on the phone, I went back in and saw the man again. He (I wish I asked his name) credited our gift card back over the phone and Meena rudely gave me my gift card. After about 10 minutes, we were just pulling up at the other hotel, she called me on my cell phone and said that my gift card was on the floor and we had someone else's, not worth as much. She said I must have grabbed the wrong one. First of all, I didn't "grab" and card. She handed it to me. Secondly, she was obviously not raised to take responsibility for her actions. She had just put me and my son through a lot of chaos for the previous 2 hours, lied to us, gave me the wrong card, and never once apologized.

The Best Western Airpark Hotel, 2.5 miles away, was wonderful. Go there instead. The room was very clean, more spacious, and had the exact bathroom. There was absolutely no smoke smell. It had a better view also. The Airpark Hotel also had a pool; whereas the Airport Plaza only had a non-working hot tub. The Airpark Hotel was the exact same price at the disgusting Airport Plaza Inn.

**Do not stay at the BW Airport Plaza Inn. Stay at the BW Airpark Hotel.**

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank ahartman1112
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inglewood
Best Western Airpark Hotel
#5 of 32 in Inglewood
LAX Area
Holiday Inn Express Los Angeles-LAX Airport
Westside
Crowne Plaza Los Angeles International Airport Hotel

Been to Best Western Airport Plaza Inn? Share your experiences!