“Do not book this hotel - honest! It's a fraud”
Review of Adventurer Hotel

Adventurer Hotel
Sydney, Australia
“Do not book this hotel - honest! It's a fraud”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Don't book this hotel. Really. Spend 2-3 $$ more to stay elsewhere and spare yourself an hour of frustration.
The room wasn't there when I arrived. I looked up previous feedback: they do this all the time. Although I have called and e-mailed in advance to ensure that my room would be available, by the time I arrived there was no room for me, even though the reservation was double-confirmed and prepaid. The receptionist was extremely rude. Despite my complaints, I have been bumped to some other dodgy motel down the road which was extremely dirty and not as advertised when I was booking at all. Moreover, I had to walk there, dragging my luggage at 1am (unfamiliar place, single girl - not a nice feeling).
I have been picked up in the airport by the hotel's shuttle which cramped 13 passengers into bus with 9 seats (is that even legal?), 8 out of whom we picked up from a restaurant on the way back; we had to wait for them to pay the bill and, of course, the party that came in was loud, drunk and wanted to smoke in the bus.
The motel I have been bumped into had an incredibly dirty bathroom and the towels were so dirty that I didn't dare using them. Not sure they've been properly washed.
The Adventurer itself is NOT a hotel, as is claimed in the description: it's a hostel (see the photo of the entrance). I had a look around in the morning: it might appeal to you only if you are a youngster looking for an adventure. Completely unsuitable for any sober traveler, esp. with kids.
I tried to get a refund for this disaster of a stay, but the hotel manager stoutly refused to give it because "I did not refuse to stay overnight in the other hotel". As if I had a choice at 1am! Thankfully, I booked via Expedia, and the Expedia staff completely agreed with me that this sort of service is utterly unacceptable; therefore, Expedia refunded me themselves.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Natalia C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
California, United States
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I didn't stay here...we were parking for LAX and using thier shuttle service. Makes for a great story now but we we couldn't believe this place when we pulled up. Like a poverty motel. The building says "backpackers paradise". Maybe for backpackers that have been lost for 30 days. I felt so bad for the French tourists that came to see LA and the nightlife and ended up here. Seriously....who backpacks through Inglewood? Anyway...the shuttle was old and a mess. The back doors had trouble opening due to injury, and the seats were filthy with rips and tears. The seat belts were mostly missing so I had to explain to my kids that sometimes "busses" don't need seat belts. The drivers were friendly and one in particular was a "character" we will not soon forget. We were happy to find our car waiting for us when we returned... but we couldn't have had more bird droppings on it if they had parked under a pigeon breader. All's well that ends well but if the pictures on a website look like the 70's....assume everything you saw in the pictures is going to look 35+ years worn and still there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Victoria BC
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We booked with the Adventurer Hotel because of the price. Our expectations weren't high but decided to give it a chance. It was fun, I would definitely stay there again!
Those looking for your standard, cookie cutter hotel should probably pay more and go elsewhere as this place is funky not fancy.
Yes, there are some strange characters but there are also nice regular people who don't want to spend a lot on hotels. Staff were very busy but tried to be helpful. I was picky with the room, looking for quiet and clean, so we changed a couple of times (we stayed at this hotel twice). All the rooms we saw had updated, clean beyond clean bathrooms, two rooms, bar fridge and small kitchen sink. Very comfortable.
The pool was great and all the freebees like the champagne & chocolate cake, cookies, popcorn, tea & coffee and internet were a nice touch. I liked all the greenery around the stairs and walkways to the rooms.
The hotel is located on a major street so there are small eateries close by as well as the restaurant at the hotel. Parking was awkward but secure.
Its close to the airport, so I may even arrange a layover at the Adventurer in LA on my next trip!

Room Tip: Look at a few before deciding.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VictoriaBCAnnie
Santa Clarita, California, United States
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is the worse place it smells like boos and cheese, and cigaretts the people who work there are homeless.they have horrible attitudes.the fat black women are horrible.and snoop dog drives the broken down shuttle bus to the hotel that stinks and he plays ghetto music and smokes in the bus awhile he drives you to the airport.this places is for hopmeless and hookers.there pictures are very decievable.looks like a cheap motel in the poorest place in florida.this place schould be shut down.dont even park your car here unless you plan on them driving your car awhile your on vacation.im telling you this is pitiful.a shame and a scandal.only low class people would stay here.the area in in inglewood a black community.far from airport.and GHETTO

Room Tip: dont go you will regret it seriously
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Margaret K
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I spent one night at the LA Adventurer during a layover. I had very low expectations due to the price and ratings but the hotel failed to meet even them.

I found the staff to be slow and unhelpful particularly in regards to my two missing post packages, one of which had been delivered and signed for 2 days before by the same staff member. They seem to think their job is some kind of extended morning tea and any guests are interrupting their chatter.

The whole place is a bit run down; I stayed in a 20 bed dorm room, my mattress was old and had springs which made for a terribly uncomfortable nights' sleep. The "included breakfast" was a tasteless muffin.

I used the free shuttle service and despite my calling and the driver knowing where I was at the terminal, he drove past and then didn't return so I had to wait 30 minutes for him to return at 1am so it wasn't as if he had a huge influx of guests at that time.

The allover experience was pretty bad and staff on reception left a terrible taste in my mouth, they seem to forget they are there because of the guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank RoundtheworldfromQLD
Auckland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We arrived at 10.30pm, after phoning to say we would be late and they had oversold this room.

The receptionists were so rude and unhelpful they just said that we were being moved and told us nothing about the place we were being moved too.

They said that they didnt need to do this for us (even though we had pre paid the room) and acted like they were doing a favour for us. We said we didnt want to be moved and asked for a refund. They offered no refund and told us to call the manager. No answer from him. Had to leave at 4am next morning for a flight.

Finally the security guard asked the girls at reception why they didnt put us in another small dorm room (we had paid for private room) and he showed us the room. We did stay there as it was late and we had an early wake up. But still no refund. Even though we got a cheaper room.

If you book here turn up early or you may find yourself in our situation. A

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christopher M
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We've met a bunch of great people at this hotel. Plenty of goodies here like free champagne, cookies with your free coffee and reasonable hours for a quality but affordable onsite restaurant and bar. Great for young travelers I couldn't recommend this place enough. We can't wait to return to LA just to come back to this hotel! Awesome common area with its own little bar. Very loud because you're in the middle of LAX and other guests seem to think that means they can be loud too, however it's pretty damn obvious because of the location that this would be the case so we were not bothered...Oh, the pool's warm too!

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor, and try to be away from the common area. Bit more private is all :)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inglewood
Value Inn Worldwide
LAX Area
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
Hilton Los Angeles Airport
#85 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Adventurer Hotel? Share your experiences!