“The "Royal" Plaza Inn?” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Indio
Los Angeles, California
“The "Royal" Plaza Inn?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2011

I thought these types of motels only existed in movies - the terrifying, slasher-type of movies.

When my boss and I arrived, we were greeted at the front desk with a welcoming, "What do you want?" We got our rooms on the first floor with a beautiful view of a barbed-wire covered brick wall with a plastic bag full of dog feces on our back "patio". The sliding glass door would not close all the way and was held in place by a flimsy chain.

The comforter of my bed was splattered with some black substance (possibly blood - by this point, it was completely conceivable) and the floor was coated with a fine layer of crushed animal crackers. The room did not have a coffee maker, although they threatened to charge me for one if it happened to be missing from my room at the end of the stay. There was no control over the heat/cooling system. The front office controlled whether or not the "heat" or the "cool" tube was being fed to your room - archaic. If you happened to get cold, they supplied a small space heater. If you were too warm, you could open the sliding glass door and risk getting shot or raped.

There were three good things about this hotel: 1. It was only two minutes away from the Empire Polo Club where we were working all weekend. 2. It got us out of Indio to explore civilization in the beautiful Palm Desert that's located twenty minutes away, just so we would spend the least amount of time possible in the disgusting hotel. 3. The woman at the reception SMILED at us once! It looked as if it pained her to do it, and it only lasted half of a second, but I'm fairly certain it was a smile!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BexterB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

My husband booked two rooms for myself and a couple of teenagers for sporting event at the Polo fields up the road, not until we checked in did I read the reviews here on TA. Most were either very good, 5 star or very bad 1 star.... how could this be? Well in a nut shell:
The good: Nice customer service, though the manager obviously has a very strong business personality and I could instantly see how she could rub people the wrong way... aside from that I was greeted with a smile, and even offered late check out when I mentioned the boys needed to shower after their game.
The location is along the main business / restaurant district and there is a ton of places within walking distance, Panda Express, Togos, Starbucks, Donut shop, to just name a few. Right next door is an amazing restaurant named Cactus jacks that is very popular with the locals, packed on Sat. for dinner, and the parking lot was full again for Sunday morning breakfast... I had the entree salad with steak and it was the best salad ever.
My bed was comfortable and I slept great. The room came equipt with a basket full of sample toiletries including toothpaste, shampoos, facial cleansing wipes, and even a
fancy razor.
OK the bad: No getting around it - this place is kinda spooky. A bad version of a 70's style motel six. Our room had a small patio overlooking the side parking lot, complete with barbed wire fencing. The pool was ice cold, but even if it was heated was not inviting. In our hotel room was a polite sign threatening to charge items missing from the room - pillows $25. Clock radio $25- ours had no clock so I had to ask the manager to make sure I wasn't charged. Although the bed was comfy - I like firm, the comforters were old and dingy. The armoire for the tv had a built in fridge that was barely cold, and only held drink cans. Glad I didn't bring any bulky snaks. (It had a Sheraton logo inside the door, second hand furniture).
I can see how the reviews were all over the map. If you stay here - come prepared and set your expectations low so you won't be disappointed, and eat next door Cactus Jacks comfort food to help.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank parka
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2010

We were looking for a nice clean place to stay in Indio on a budget and the
Royal Plaza Inn fit our bill nicely. They had very comfortable rooms with
the best amenity basket I've ever seen in a motel. The pool and Jacuzzi
was a fun and restaurant was a real treat.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1954
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

I am am member of Los Medicos Voladores (The Flying Doctors) and have participated in the bi-annual Coachella Valley Unified School District's Health Fair for the past 5 years. I have always stayed at the Royal Plaza Inn, and have had the pleasure of staying in many different rooms; upstairs with a balcony, downstairs near my car, and poolside. Each and every one of these stays was a treat. The rooms are the largest you will find anywhere, with large televisions, refrigerators, hairdryers, and microwaves. There is always a basket of goodies waiting (samples of various toiletries, as well as the usual hair supplies, and a razor!), the rooms are spotless, the pool is clean and the hot tub is hot! The staff is professional and efficient, there is always coffee in the morning, and the restaurant next door serves the best Eggs Benedict on earth! I would stay there any time I am traveling along Highway 10 or in the area for an event. This is the best deal anywhere near Palm Springs, and not far from the Casino! Enjoy your visit!

• Stayed October 2010
Watsonville, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

Over the past three years I have stayed several times at the Royal Plaza Inn and have always had a great stay, with great service, a friendly, attentive staff and a nice bed. The last time was even greater, because I even got a room that opens to the pool.

The Inn is located very conveniently to everything, with good access. I would recommend it to anyone staying in the area.

You folks are wonderful, so please keep up the good work. I will be back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Thermal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

The Royal Plaza Inn is one of Indio's best choices for a great stay and friendly customer service. I have always recommended this hotel for it's excellent front desk service and clean rooms. I have my guest stay there twice a year and their comments are very positive and they look forward to their next stay. Sylvia is curtious, pleasant and ready to assist with what ever is needed. I would not only recommend people to stay at the Royal Plaza Inn, I would encourage them to pay them a visit.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Thermal, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2010

For the past twelve years the Royal Plaza Inn has made significant contributions to our community. Specially twice yearly, the Coachella Valley Unified School District sponsors the Flying Doctors to provide free medical services to our families. Thirty to sixty members of the flying doctors come to our valley. The Royal Plaza Inn has provided free rooms to the doctors. On behalf of the Coachella Valley we are greatly appreciated of the contribution the Royal Plaza provides to assist in ensuring medical services the needy.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business