“very disappointing!! unsafe”
Review of Royal Plaza Inn

Royal Plaza Inn
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Indio
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We picked this place based on good reviews. This was one of the worst places we've stayed at. The best part about this place was the restaurant next door, Cactus Jack's. Good food & service. The furniture was falling apart. The dresser drawers were nailed shut. A lamp on the night stand had a cord taped together with electrical tape and the base was broken. We were afraid to use it. The bathroom sink was clogged and faucet leaked when turned on. The TV was probably 20 years old with bad reception. The carpet was old and stained. The room had no phone, hair dryer, iron or place to hang clothes (closet rod for hangers was missing).
The maids were nice and provided what we asked for(iron, hangers, extra towels) since the room had nothing. The bed was clean and comfortable. It had a refrigerator that worked good.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. Even though our room was awful there were some good reviews.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kcfreeman924

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I booked this hotel because they are dog-friendly and reasonable. Turned out, I didn’t bring my dog so I was ‘upgraded’ to a non-doggy room. Having spent most of my childhood in the Coachella Valley, I’ve known about the Royal Plaza Inn and I was fully aware that it has been around for many years (1st time staying here). That being said, I was not expecting a modern room with full amenities. I was pleasantly surprised however, to see that they may have recently updated the rooms. The room was clean, had heat/AC, free wi-fi, etc. The carpet & lounge furniture still needs replacing (didn’t sit on the lounge chair because it had a huge stain on it), otherwise fine for the price.

The issue I had was with the staff, not friendly or accommodating. They were working on remodeling the main lobby and it was hard to get the attention of the front desk person. When she finally showed up, she made me feel like I was intruding. It was odd and not welcoming at all. In checking out, there was a different person, she was on the phone and just waved her hand at me, as if she was telling me to go away. Maybe not her intention but no apologies or explanation, so who is to say. Neither person so much as smiled, not a good first impression. Could be a cozy place to stay if only the staff was more welcoming….too bad.

Room Tip: There is a bar/restaurant adjacent to the hotel, ask for a room near the pool (further from the bar...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stay at this hotel every year when I come out for dog shows. They have great service, the staff was very welcoming and friendly. I asked for certain things in my room and they brought it right up with no problem. They also fit my needs with my animals. I enjoy staying here very much and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stay here every year for the Coachella music festival. It's only 4 miles from the Polo fields so the location is great. The Pool & Jacuzzi are great to hang out before the show and Cactus Jack's is nearby to get breakfast or lunch. All in all a very chill place to stay in close proximity to the festival grounds which is why we come back every year.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank wyatt c
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I travel often staying only one or two nights for business. This is a nice quiet location with spacious rooms. A little on the older side but very clean. The view of the pool at night was very relaxing as I sat out on the balcony. Dinner next door was enjoyable and good. Everything was convenient. I had a comfortable night sleep and off the next morning. I will be sure to stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: the rooms facing the pool would be my first choice.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We came to stay at this Inn in Jan 2013 and the room and place was so bad we left and stayed some place else.

The lobby was old, outdated, with broken and chipped counters. The front desk person was cold and anything but welcoming. It started with learning that this place has NO heaters in the guest rooms, but if you request you can get a portable space heater for the room - it was in the 30s at night. A 2-3 star inn with no heat?? The key cards we were given for the room did not work and there was no hall phone to call and report this so back to the front desk for new working keys cards The room we were checked into was dingy and dirty. The phone in the room did not work, the chain on the door (to lock it from the inside) was broken. I went to use the bathroom - which has been cheaply renovated, and flushed the toilet and water started to spray out from the tank all over me and the bathroom. I tried to turn the water off and the angle stop valve handle was missing. I tried to call the front desk and learned the phone did not work. The was also a fire alarm beeping in the hall outside my room and no lights on the emergency exit signs. I called the hotel from my cell phone to report the problems and say that we were leaving and would stay somewhere else, the person at the desk said he would need to contact the manager to see what to do. 45 minutes later after packing up our stuff and loading the car I went to the front desk to give the room key and check that there had been no charges on my credit card. The front desk person said he had been too busy and had not contacted the manager and was not authorized to refund and allow checkout early. When I got mad he suddenly could allow my departure less a $10 fee for my pet that had never gotten out of my car and into the room. I'll be following up with my credit card company and AAA to be sure there are no charges from this dump and the ratings are reflective of the condition of this property.

My guess is the good reviews that you read have been submitted by the staff, family and friends of this Inn. The place is a true run down dump!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank PrivatePrivate99
Reviewed November 28, 2012

I've stayed here a few times every time I visit the Coachella festival. It's great and convenient and the staff is super friendly. Cactus Jack's is on-site and has good food. It's also nice to hang out by the pool before going to the music festival.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends