“Police had to escort me out of my room when I left the following morning”

Motel 6 Indio- Palm Spring Area
Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Indio
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Everyone was helpful but at 3:30 am I was awoken by my room telephone ringing, creepy guy kept callin me and then stalked my room so I called the Indio police and they were kind enough to escort me out of my room. I do not recommend this motel

3  Thank Southerngirl010908
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Indio- Palm Spring Area

Reviewed April 29, 2008

This was the worst lodging experience of my entire life. I have never felt less welcome at an establishment than I did at this Motel 6.

First, my rate was changed upon check-in. The rate that was recited was $15 per night more than what I was quoted when I made the reservation ON THE INTERNET. The person at the desk insisted that I made my reservation on the phone because that is what the computer said. I told them that was not true and she asked if I was calling her a liar. I gave up and took the rate and went on with it...

When we got to the room, it was absolutely disgusting. There was a hole burned in the carpet and there were flies everywhere. I called to ask if they had another room, and the woman threatened to throw me out if I wasn't happy.

The next day, there was no hot water. I decided not to call initially as I have worked at a hotel before without hot water, and I had sympathy for the hotel worked who was undoubtedly receiving countless calls. When the day and the night passed without hot water, though, I decided to make a phone call to the desk the next morning (the 3rd morning of my stay), and ask them what the problem was. They insisted that it was a Sunday and that they were doing us a favor by having a handyman come and fix the hot water... (which shouldn't have broken anyway). The man (JULIEN) at the front desk offered me 10% off my stay, which I begrudgingly accepted.

The day we checked out, JULIEN walked away when I approached the front desk, obviously avoiding me. He went into the back. I asked for JULIEN to the woman at the desk and she said hold on. JULIEN knew I had come for my discount, and he came to the desk and said, "You'll wait" to me, and helped people who were in line behind me... checking people in, checking people out, totally ignoring me. And he said, "What did you want?" when he was finally done with them. I told him I had come for my 10% refund, and he began to interrogate me angrily about how I had supposedly violated their policies... obviously taking out his rage out on me because I am young and he assumes he at least has that on me.

He said, "no, no... I'll give you your discount, little boy, come back." as I was walking away. I just said, "naw, man..." and walked out the door. I couldn't handle it anymore. It really isn't worth the $30 or $4 or whatever to get ridiculed by this jerk who manages this disgusting hotel in a cracky neighborhood.

Also, the hotel is in a terrible part of a terrible town. Even if you are in town for any of the number of festivals in Indio, consider staying somewhere nicer. I have had better experiences at Fantasy Springs and La Quinta... and Holiday Inn Express and Best Western.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank patricksw
Reviewed February 23, 2007

Motel 6, [--]

I'd STEER CLEAR of this place.

I've stayed at cleaner Motel 6's.

Plus, they make you sign a pledge when you check in that
you promise not to engage in illegal activity. Does that
mean this place is a magnet for illegal activity?

The staff could also care less if the Motel 6 here even
meets the basics. My TV remote was missing from my room,
I was informed that the chance of a replacement was
"impossible."

Tip: there are three or four comparable quality motels
on the same block as this one that go for $20-30 less
per night. Going East on I-10, exit at the Monroe St.
exit and turn left a mile later on Indio Blvd. Pass
Motel 6, and you'll find the much cheaper motels of
comparable quality.

Check into one of those -- which all serve Joshua Tree
National Park -- make sure you're room is good, and you'll
save yourself some significant money -- and disappointment.

-Travel.Editor.NYC

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank travel.editor.nyc
Reviewed April 30, 2006

I stayed at the Indio Motel 6 for three days while attending the Coachella Music Festival.

I checked in early Friday evening, and was given a ground-level room. I had requested a non-smoking room with 2 double beds. They got the beds right, and the room did indeed have non-smoking signs, but unfortunately it smelled pretty strongly of stale smoke. Unfortunately, due to the massive influx of visitors in Indio for the music festival, there were no other rooms available. The room continued to stink of cigarettes for the next 3 days, despite my best efforts at ventilation.

The room was equipped with standard amenities: phone, desk, TV with basic cable, and luggage stand. The towels were pretty worn out. Note that the room did not include an alarm clock, or toiletries like shampoo -- bring your own.

The housekeeping service was good, as were the front desk staff. The water pressure for the toilet was pretty low and the toilet got clogged on Saturday. As I was leaving around noon I told the front desk that my room needed a plumber. By the time I returned around 1am, it was fixed.

They also initally forgot to magnetize my key card for my full 3-day stay, so I had to return to reception at 1am on the second night of my stay, so that I could get back in my room. This wasn't a big deal, and the staff member on duty was friendly enough about it, but it was a minor nuissance.

The air system in the room was weak at best. Given the hot temperatures standard in Indio, you would think that having a good air conditioner would be of prime concern to them. However, I had the system up on high for the entire stay, and during the day while sunny my room remained around 85 degrees despite having the air conditioner on at full blast.

There was a pool, but it was essentially a concrete hole in the ground next to the parking lot. Not very appealing, and I didn't use it.

Given that I only paid $62.99 per night, and many of the surrounding motels were charing $199+ for the same nights due to inflated festival rates, I can't complain too much. However, if you have the option of choosing another hotel over the Motel 6 Indio, I highly suggest you go with the alternate accomodation.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank downrightt
Reviewed March 15, 2006

I tried to stay at this dump for two nights. The first night was okay, typical Motel 6 facility....reasonably clean, basic amenities. I was awakened in the middle of the night by some idiot carrying on a loud phone conversation right outside my window. The next night I had reserved another non-smoking room. When I showed up at 11:30 pm to claim my room they put me in a different room which reeked of cigarette smoke. I requested another room and was told "that's all we have." I got a refund and took off in search of another motel at midnight. Had to drive 30 miles away to find another place. The staff were very unhelpful. Highly doubt they even have a high school education.

• Stayed: March 2006
3  Thank johnaptos
A TripAdvisor Member
The moon
Reviewed February 11, 2006

Checking in, it was very busy with a circular queue forming in the small office. Mostly construction workers and some tourists.

The room was standard motel 6 with the ceiling air vent and a manual control panel on the wall. Leaving it on full cold I came back to find a freezing room, so it works. No internet except for a internet pay kiosk somehwere in the area, this shuts off outside business hours. Limited TV and noise from the bouncing concrete walkway. Next to a gas station.

Clientel friendly but altogether it's a lot like a truck stop, wouldn't want to stay more than one night.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 24, 2005

I would never again stay there! Very impolite staff at check-in. They did not want to give us additional towels for the pool, so we got them from the housekeeping by ourselves. It was funny to try and explain hands only to a Mexican girl that we want 2 more towels. Obviously she understood us and we finally set for the pool. Yuck!!! Dirty, full of burnt cigarette ends, cans, plastic bottles ... Our room was OK, it was worn out, but clean. However the atmosphere at the hotel was not. The rooms were full of youngsters, banging the doors throughout the night. They even came knocking on our door, obviously unaware (or too stoned to be aware) in which room their party was. All this was loud and noisy. In the middle of the night the police came and talked to some of the youngsters, but things were only calm for 30 minutes or so... Never again!

4  Thank Slo-Lju
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indio
Royal Plaza Inn
Homewood Suites by Hilton La Quinta
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#11 of 16 in Indio

Been to Motel 6 Indio- Palm Spring Area? Share your experiences!