“Average casino, no breakfast buffet, scandalous phone charges”

Fantasy Springs Resort Casino
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Indio
UK
“Average casino, no breakfast buffet, scandalous phone charges”
Reviewed October 11, 2008

I stayed at the Fantasy Resort Casino Hotel in October 2008. I would rate the casino as average, it has plenty of slot machines and card game tables but no roulette and not a lot of character.

I was surprised to be told that the hotel had no breakfast buffet despite the fact that they have a buffet room and provide a good selection in the evening.

The hotel location is poor if you are not intending to stay in the hotel for all of your stay. You would have to drive 5-10 miles+ to get other dining options.

The hotel is quite new, the rooms are nice but small. However the biggest disappointment I experienced with this hotel was being charged $4.90 for a 'long distance' phone call of less than 1 minute from Indio to Cathedral City, all of 18 miles. In a country the size of the US, I'm staggered how this can be long distance and the cost albeit small in context is scandalous for the length of time and location.

Overall, I received a very good rate but ended up disappointed. Being charged $10 for wireless Internet access in this day and age is poor but I could accept that with the rate I paid.

• Liked — POM bar
  • Disliked — Scandalous phone charges
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Korean first
phoenix
Reviewed September 10, 2008

we checked in for a wedding...reserved a king smoking balcony i reserved back on july 7th my room was not held not given the room i bought and paid for hotel staff grace on check in was little rude at first. get rooms instead of room i paid for i get room in the very back over looking the parking lot and parking garage...and it wasnt smoking at all (i didnt mind i dont smoke but it sucked for my mom to go down stairs and out side everytime she wanted to) first morning wanted to order room service got the menu in hand and not one number to call and order then when calling front desk to ask for it was left on hold so long i set the phone down got dressed and went to the front desk finally got number got back to my room and i was still on hold for 32min.....then found out i was charged for calling the front desk or u kidding me...loved the valet guys very nice kinda prompt but once again told call down 10min before you need your call only to find out they dont have a phone for valet....didnt like finding out you tip some one to park and get your car only to find out they never moved it and left lights on that killed my car...check out went smooth with grace again..... then found out she charged my card for someone elses room service to the tune of 156.00....and acted like it was my fault when called on august 22day after check out i was rudely hung up on by supervisor illisa...the operaters would not pass me on to manage ment even when calling to find out how and what charges were for i was treated with utmust disrespect i spent 3plus hours just tring to find out what charges were for they gave me other ladys room number and name..when i explained that i was in room 2032 not 2007 she didnt care and was told i cant help you.....then next day i finally get a "manager" malina torrez i was assured we would solve the issue as soon as she went and talked to grace and what not i was assured beyond any doubt that we would solve the problem before noon she then refused for hours to take my calls i would be transfered to her and left setting on hold for 20-30 min at a time while listening to the operaters laugh and disrespect me.....i have been treated worst then dirt by managers and front desk clerks...but i would indeed stay there again if i dont have to deal with any of those people....because the property was great nice little oasis in the desert for real.....

• Liked — dunno
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank rayannPhoenix
San Diego
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I took my fiance for his birthday as a surprise. I had not been there before either. It was a very pleasant surprise for both of us. Very clean, friendly people. Casino is laid out in a very friendly manner. You will not get lost. Everything is accessible without having to walk half a mile everywhere. The rooms are a good size but mattress is not firm. The bathroom and room is very clean. Staff are hospitable. The Buffet was not great but the "POM" restaurant was Excellent and not as expensive as the Buffet! I think the buffet is over priced. There is a pool, a bowling alley, a rock yard (free concerts in the afternoon into the evening), casino, golf, ... you will not get bored. We love Las Vegas but find it very busy and has gotten expensive. This is closer to home and much nicer...HIghly recommend it for a 2nd honeymoon.

RE...Moorpark, CA.

• Liked — Clean Hotel
  • Disliked — Mattress
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank relias
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed August 19, 2008

This property is great for a weekend getaway. So disappointing when the experience is begun with a very unfriendly check-in experience. The woman at the front desk (should have noted her name) should not be in the Hotel/Rest. biz. WIth this bad attitude, she should be hidden away in a back office.

As a business owner, we would be dismayed to know that our employees were so rude and unprofessional.

Otherwise, the rooms are comfortable for the price. Hotel and Casino both nicely decorated. Comparable to gambling at Primm or Laughlin. Certainly not Vegas. But fun!!!

• Liked — Winning in the casino
  • Disliked — Rude front desk
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Thank Spahh!girl
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2008

The good:

Whenever I get a writing assignment, I come here. I don't gamble, so its perfect for me.

The construction is long gone and POM, the newest restaurant is excellent - the food is delicious and well priced. The Starbucks is a great touch and the sandwich/pizza shop (open until 5am) make gigantic sandwiches! The buffet is about 27 bucks and the food is surprisingly tasty and plentiful.

The rooms are average (what do you expect, really). They are not the greatest for privacy as you CAN hear your neighbors (I stayed in both 825 and 1001 over the span of 2 weeks. During the week, its quiet, during concert weekends, its rambunctious.

They have two phenomenal golf courses right next door if you can deal with the triple digit temperatures.

The best is that Expedia had weekday rates of 50 bucks and I even got one week for 35 bucks a night!!!! You cannot beat that in Palm Springs.

The not so good:

I will agree with the last reviewer that the pool was dirty. Without a doubt it needed a cleaning. It is NOT a "small" pool HOWEVER It only goes up to 4 ft which is perfect for the kids. There are plenty of chairs and a waiter to bring you delicious drinks and food from Pom.

It's not an "industrial" area per-se, it just an area that hasn't been overly developed. Yes, there is nothing in the immediate area, but why would you WANT to go anywhere. I did find supermarkets on HWY 111 about 3-4 miles away.

The clientele is sometimes less than desirable (biker types, white trash), but I'm not here to socialize. YMMV.

I've stayed here for years and have always enjoyed it.

• Liked — Variety of food services
  • Disliked — Sometimes the people were less than desirable
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank matthew b
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We decided to go to Palm Springs for the 4th of July weekend. We called the reservations desk and requested a double smoking room and was told we got it. We received the confirmation with codes on it. No explanation what the codes were. We arrived at the resort and was told that our reservations were for a king nonsmoking. We advised that that was not what we requested. The response was (1) the smoking rooms were sold out weeks ago and they were sold out completely, (2) the reservationists are scripted so they would not make a mistake, and (3) we could get extra blankets and pillows. You gotta be kidding! I wasn't sure whether the rep was suggesting that one of us sleep on the floor or not -- not with the high prices they were charging that weekend! And the temperature was 115 degrees. Ironically, the person next to us had the same problem and she had called in. I advised the receptionist that obviously, the reservationists were telling us one thing and booking something else since there were two identical problems using the same method. I demanded a discount, and after speaking to supervisor Grace, she stated that she would give us a 10% discount. Later, during the evening, we were told that a double non-smoking opened up and we were moved. We received the discount for the first night.

Like most "resorts" out in Palm Springs, there is a mandatory resort fee. FSRC had a 10% resort fee added on top of the daily rate before taxes. Per the reservationist, the "fee" allowed the use of the pool. It does not include any wireless service, which cost an extra $10.99 plus tax per day. Supposedly, we were to get the newspaper but we only received the newspaper on the day of checkout.

The hotel itself was modern and updated. Rooms were clean and new. The casino however was outdated and lackluster. Spotlight 29 casino, literally 5 minutes away (across the freeway)was much more fun, lighted with high ceilings. The dealers at FSRC seemed bored. And for those of you who like live poker, go to Spotlight 29. At FSRC, the poker room is all automated -- PokerPro table with 10 seats, each with an individual computer screen and a main screen in the center. The floor man did a hard sell, but if I wanted to play computer poker, I would have stayed home and played online.

We ended up in the Bingo hall. Lots of locals who were very nice and happily showed us how the whole thing worked. The hall had individual machines which were loaded with cards and paper cards. The automated bingo machine gave more cards and did all the work The machine showed the player the best cards, how many numbers away from bingo, beeped when the player was one number away, and even told the player when he/she hit bingo. I played both paper and the machine. Saturday night was double bingo--giving the player double the cards. Each game had its own prize, ranging from $250 to $1199. For $47 bucks, I got all the games, double the cards plus the bonus games and double set of paper and played for 3 and a half hours. I would lose more at the slots or table in that period of time. It was a bonus when I hit bingo and won $500. Food in the bingo hall was pretty good too.

There were some other activities on site. There is a bowling alley, dance club, golf course and a live show outside in the RockYard. We attended the concert at the RockYard one night. It was humid all night. And watching the tribute band to the Who made us feel even hotter. I don't think anyone told the band how hot and humid it was at night. The band wore wigs and costumes --one even wore a leather jacket -- under the hot lights.

We ate at the POM cafe which was fair. We also ate at the buffet once which was just ok. We looked at the buffet each night and the choices seemed the same each night--the only difference on the seafood buffet night seemed to be the addition of king crab legs, shrimp and smoke salmon. I wasn't sure what the special was for prime rib night, since the other nights we were there had prime rib as well.

We found a deal over at Spotlight 29 at the JEM Steakhouse which had a fix price menu for $40, which included a choice of 2 salads, a choice of 3 entrees (chicken, fish or steak) with 2 sides and a choice of 2 desserts. The portions were slightly smaller than the regular menu. My friend was impressed with her fix price menu; I ordered of the main menu with a salad, one side and a small steak and with the portions, I was full. Service was exceptional.

I thought that the whole point with the casino-resorts in Palm Springs was to give the California residents a choice besides Las Vegas with better pricing and closer location. But the Palm Spring resort prices seem comparable to the big casinos in Vegas . However, with the drive (from west LA - 3 hours each way), gas prices, hotel prices and the added resort fees, I think I can get a better deal in Vegas.

• Liked — It was clean and modern
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kailin
liezl_s
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I stayed here for the 4th of July Weekend. The hotel overall was decent, The staff was very nice. Rooms were modern, casino average, Starbucks and pizza place were great to have around. However, my main thing was to let the kids swim while I lay around poolside. This was one of the worst pools I have ever seen. It was super small for being at a resort, and most important, REALLY DIRTY. If the pool is a big deal to you, DO NOT STAY HERE. I honestly felt like I needed to sanitize myself and kids after the visit to the pool. Otherwise, it was okay for the price. Also, it is out in the middle of nowhere. It is smack dab in the middle of an industrial area, the main area (La Quinta, Palm Desert, Palm Springs) is around 20 minutes away.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the dirty pool
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indio
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Indio
Days Inn Indio
Days Inn Indio
#5 of 16 in Indio
Embassy Suites by Hilton La Quinta Hotel & Spa

Been to Fantasy Springs Resort Casino? Share your experiences!