“Big, Gray Behomoth in the Desert”

Indian Wells Resort Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
A TripAdvisor Member
“Big, Gray Behomoth in the Desert”
Reviewed March 28, 2006

Just to preface this review, please keep in mind that we are frequent travelers and we often come out to the desert to visit for weekends all year round.

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel in August 2005 and had booked through priceline. To me, this is no resort; it is not even a pretty building, to boot. When we arrived at the hotel, it looked like a giant, gray and depressed elephant hulking in the sand.

To add to the depression, the front office had a mandatory "resort" fee--no mention of which at the time of booking, which I found completely unethical and deceptive.

Everything about this hotel could use a facelift--the lobby is VERY dated and gloomy as was the room we stayed in...

The breakfast buffet is average--it is like a continental breakfast plus a bit more.

On the positive side, however (to be fair), we came here to play by the pool--and my kids had a terrific time. The rooms, although dated, are clean and spacious. Plenty of clean towels at the pool, too.

I wouldn't stay here again; the building itself just doesn't have the right vibe for my taste.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Hungarian first
California
Reviewed January 22, 2006

After reading the reviews on TripAdvisor I thought this place would be akin to a Motel 6. But it's nothing like that. One thing to realize is that the term "resort" is used very, very loosely in Palm Springs, as is the term "country club" for that matter. I live in the San Francisco bay area, and resorts have a completely different meaning here - they are nothing less than 5-star all the way. Indian Wells Resort Hotel is not a resort by bay area standards. It's just a hotel. It was owned by Desi Arnez back in the day and I'm sure it was a magnificent hotel back then.

We were very impressed by the lobby and entry, and the restaurant is fine. The pool area is nice too, although not a designer's dream or anything. The golf course backdrop is beautiful. It has a nice poolside bar/grill area which would have been much nicer had it been open even once during our 4-night stay, but apparently it's only open seasonally. The pool and hot tub were always deserted which was great. They are in perfect condition and completely clean, and as I'm kind of a germaphobe this is important to me.

We had one of the cheap rooms I'm sure, at $72/weeknight with the Entertainment book coupon. I think you can find the same deal here through Orbitz. The room left something to be desired. It smelled a little funky, but we later discovered the smell came from the cleanser they use. Being a semi-germophobe I am very concerned about smells and cleanliness, and trust me I would not have stayed here if I hadn't found it to be perfectly acceptable. Especially the bathroom, which was perfectly clean, and only showed a little sign of wear on the cover over the lights. But clean and new-looking. Definitely had been remodeled after the days of Desi.

The room overall was fine. It is sparse and shows signs of age, such as the carpet and television, which while clean were a few years old and a little worn. But I've seen much, much worse. The worst part of our room was the view from the balcony, which was a stucco wall hiding a view of the roof. The balcony is lined with astroturf, which is cheesy. But again, not as bad as it could be.

Generally this hotel was once wonderful, and is now between a 3 and 4 star hotel. If they simply refurbished the rooms with new carpet and replaced the grill over the lights in the bathrooms, this place would be perfect. And for the price? A fine place to stay. Especially if you're with a family and want to save money on the breakfast, which is ample for a continental breakfast. We are a mid-30's married couple on a golf trip and thought the breakfast was great by continental standards.

By the way, to all these people complaining about there being no eggs at the free breakfast, you should know continental breakfasts normally don't include them. In fact you usually get just a few bread and pastry type items, some juice and coffee and that's it. This is better than that. There is cereal, yogurt, muffins, toast, hot oatmeal, very tasty banana bread and more.

Also about the parking fee - there is valet parking for a fee, but you can park around back and be just as close to your room as using the valet, so there isn't much point in using the valet service unless you don't want to carry your bags yourself.

Anyway, we took a bunch of pictures and will post them here, so you can judge for yourself. It's below the level of the Hyatt across the street, but definitely above a Holiday Inn. Even picky I would stay here again. My husband really liked it, but to be honest he was more focused on golf than our hotel!

• Stayed January 2006
25 Thank lisa95136
Reviewed January 15, 2006

I got this hotel via Priceline, and I thought it was very good deal.
During the check-in, the clark said I should get a room via some place else like expedia or orbitz since I have to pay resort fee.(BTW, it's wrong information)
What a nice welcome for guests..
Paid $16 for resort fee. (Breakfast, Wireless Internet connection in a room, free parking)
BF : No bagle/egg/waffle. There was very simple breakfast that you can get it from many 2-3 stars motel/hotels for free. (Coffee, some juices, some breads, some muffines)
WI : they gave me end of building room, the wireless signal was very weak. Keep loosing connection from the room.
PK : Come on. Everybody can park their parking lot for free.
My conclusion : They sell their rooms for cheap price then make up from resort fee.

Lobby didn't look that bad even it showed it's age.
Room : 1. found a few yellow spots on the toilet.
2. found other people's hairs from the bed.
3. They didn't change shower curtain for a while because it stunk.
4. You will see how old this hotel is from their rooms.

They need remodel the whole hotel, and they better clean their rooms properly.

This hotel is not even close to 3 star. I will give 1 star to this hotel since I saw a lot of better 2 star motels.

I will not stay the hotel again even if they give me a free room for life.

I wanted cleaned room. Did I ask too much?

• Stayed January 2006
14 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 11, 2006

My family and I stayed 3 nights at the resort in January, 2006. It is a very nice resort. The pool was heated and clean. The rooms were a little above average for a hotel and clean. There is a computer in the lobby that has internet access for free. I found that helpful in keeping up with my eMail. We paid about $108/night and felt it was well worth it. A breakfast comes with the room. It was a cut above the normal continental breakfast. Everything you would want except no meat. Warning - if you come with children who stay free, only the adults get breakfast tickets. Breakfast for non-ticketholders is $5.95. The bar off the lobby was very expensive except during the manager's happy hour daily from 5-6 PM when they had half price drinks and a small buffet set out. I was happy with everything except it was hard to get extra bath towels and bar soap out of housekeeping. We had to go to the front desk. Maybe housekeeping is trying to contain costs by limiting towels and soap!!! I'd go back again.

Heated pool big enough for laps. Exercise room is included in the resort fee. Free use of computer and internet in the lobby.

Stayed January 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Paris, France
Reviewed January 1, 2006

Hello,

Coming from France, we stayed 3 nights in this hotel last November. I read before my departure very bad critics about this hotel and I was a little scared...but we were very surprised (in the good way) when we arrived...The staff is very polite and helpfull, the rooms are huge and comfy and the swimming pool very nice... Indeed the room needs a little refreshment and the breakfast is so-so but what a value for the price! Everything was so expensive in the Palm Springs area during this period (it was the Gay Pride week end)---So we warmly recommend it!

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank Jean_Paris19
Reviewed November 2, 2005

I was also surprised by a now $16 "resort fee" at check in. I booked thru Orbitz and I got what I thought was a great price ($57). My only real complaint about this is that it should be said somewhere that you are only paying 4/5ths of the final cost of the stay, it may have influenced my decision knowing up front that I was acutally paying $73.

The other pain was that I am a smoker, and the entire resort is non-smoking... I'm sure that is a good point for a large percentage of people that will read this, but it is bad news for a smoker. I even clicked on "Smoking" in Orbitz's special requests box... The only upside to this was the front desk put me on the bottom floor and I seemed to be the only room that had a chair on my patio!

Also, the breakfast could really use some work... And the TVs are miniature with out any movie channels or even CNN. The room was nice but lacked a refrigerator.

Overall, I've been fooled into booking worse places via the internet. I wouldn't stay here again simply due to the smoking (and mirrors about the "Resort Fee")

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
Reviewed November 2, 2005

My friend and I stayed her for a weekend getaway. We found the service to be excellent, but the "resort" is in need of work. Our room was the furthest from the lobby, on the third floor. The air conditioning in the hallway outside our rooms wasn't working properly, and the hallways were uncomfortably warm. Our room had cracks running the entire length of the ceiling at the wall seams, as well as peeling wallpaper. Otherwise a nice basic room, in room movies for purchase, and a coffeemaker (awful instant style coffee, wait for the free coffee in the lobby restaurant), mini-bar, balcony, not so special linens. Also, be prepared for a resort fee of 14.00 per day (we paid 12.00, but it went up Nov 1st). We purchased our room through Priceline, so this fee was not included with our paid reservation and after checking out three days later we owed an additional 50.00 after taxes. On the plus side, we had excellent wireless internet service in our room, free with the "resort fee". Also, there is a very basic breakfast buffet of coffee, juices, cereal, toast, oatmeal, muffins, yogurt and fresh fruit. This is also included in the "resort fee", so we were able to fill up on coffee, toast and fruit before heading out for the day. There was no free happy hour while we were there (as others posted), but there was a half price happy hour for two hours each evening, as well as chips and dip and veggies. Hotel could be much nicer with some improvements to the worn down areas, but this is no Priceline 4 star resort.

• Stayed October 2005
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Indian Wells Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!