“Lots of room for improvement!”

Indian Wells Resort Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have traveled to Indian Wells Resort every January for a long weekend for the last few years and had grown to love the quirkiness and even dated feel of the resort that Lucy & Desi Arnez founded back in the 50's. But, this time, our stay left us short-changed. Coming from Denver in the winter, one of the main draws for our family is always the pool. Indian Wells Resort neglected to mention that the pool was being resurfaced during our stay. Construction around the pool took out all the outdoor common areas. We would have hoped the hotel would offer an alternative of some kind- perhaps a reciprocal relationship they could offer at a neighboring pool, but no such luck. In addition, ALL the indoor common spaces in the lounge area and lobby were set up all weekend for "Frank's Place", a pay-to-sit dinner show with a Frank Sinatra impersonator which catered to an elderly crowd not staying at the hotel. The lacrosse team, whose girls, coaches, and families were paying guests of the hotel, was asked to not use the main doors when they came in in the evening so as not to disturb the dinner guests when they walked in. There was nowhere outside of your room to relax or even sit at the bar. And speaking of relaxing, we hope they update the mattresses soon-- they are definitely from a bygone era! Indian Wells has some "splaining" to do!!!

1  Thank GRL-ON-THE-FLY
There are newer reviews for Indian Wells Resort Hotel

Reviewed January 21, 2013

stayed overnight Sunday 1-20-2013 with my wife no teenage boys this time. good thing we did not bring the boys the pool and spa was closed for service. Hotel is aged however very clean and many pictures of past celebrities. our room was 220. we arrived a little after 1pm and were allowed to check in early that was a plus. room was clean, and spacious. cons were the ceiling above our room made noises of cracking as the guest above us walk around. I suggest if you go to stay on the 3rd floor. also the walls are very thin and we could hear the guest next to us on both sides. we had the pleasure of being inbetween rooms of teenage boys and girls for a lacrosse team. we returned to our room after having dinner at the nest just a short drive from this hotel. we returned a little after 8pm that is when we heard the kids running down the halls and slamming the doors to there rooms. kids are kids so we said we will wait till 9pm then call the desk to have someone talk to the kids; so I called the desk at 9m and someone said they would send someone to talk to the kids. we waited 20 minutes and it go worse. called again same thing said someone would talk to the kids. 10pm and I think the kids were practicing in there rooms! I was so ready to leave however my wife took a sleeping pill and was almost out. so I had no choice but listen to these kids run up and down till a little after 11pm, reminds me when we use to stay at the circus circus in Vegas when our boys were younger. imagine a chuck e cheese type experience. so besides the kids this hotel is ok. would I stay here again NO! breakfast is good. did not use the bar or lounge area. did not use the gym area. parking is free. a plus is there is a great restaurant across the road less than 100 yards easy walk. it's called Vickys of Santa Fe. Great food , great service .

Room Tip: stay on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I made reservation through Hotel.com which gave me erroneous information from cancellation policy to room view and no mention that pool/spa was closed with noisy construction. After hearing about my experience and giving me a room with shower, but no bathtub, Amy (reservation desk) gave me a free upgraded room with mountain view in hoping my mini-vacation would be memorable. The view was breathtaking and so very relaxing. I didn't sleep well because the modernized ac/heater made a lot of noise when it came on throughout the nite. Juan (maintenance) came to my room and explained why it was loud, offering to replace it with an older model that is quieter. He was so eager to make sure I was happy and all was done in his power to show it. He returned in time promised and replaced in shorter time promised. He had hoped I called the prior nite to ensure slept well. His enthusiasm and warm personality was so memorable and helped my stay. Coffee pot would not close properly, was immediately replaced with new one. Although once you get through to customer service it is timely and truly goes through great lengths to satisfy with great friendliness, my several attempts to call front desk, wake-up call only resulted in constant ringing, actually went down stairs to request wake-up call. All you can eat breakfast was delicious & healthy (oatmeal, cold cereals, muffins & banana nut breads, fresh fruits, yogurt, variety of juices, coffee & tea, toast your own breads & english muffins . Happy hour refreshments were healthy. 24-hour fitness center was great for me because had it all to myself. Room rate of $/49 per nite probably due to pool closure, but because I went for quiet time, was perfect for me. Normally the $20 resort fee would be too high if the rate wasn't so cheap. Free parking while resort next door charges is a plus. The best part was the VIEW and quiet surroundings!

Room Tip: Room close to elevator close to lobby can be noisy due to live shows/entertainment at night.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed here overnight while passing through the palm desert area. The room was neat, clean and spacious. Lovely full continental in the restaurant. Appetizers in the lounge in the evening were nice. Friendly desk staff. It was fun to wander and see the large pictures of Desi, Luci, and friends, and to read the considerable history of the hotel and golf course. Unfortunately for us, the pool was undergoing reconstruction so we were not able to take advantage of it, but it looked like a lovely area. Didn't care for the "resort fee" of $20 tacked on to the bill to cover wi-fi, etc. Seems like a tacky way to up the charges.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Judy C
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Hotel is lovely. Room was comfortable and I liked the place. Lots of photos on the wall that were fantastic. Lucille Ball, Desi Arnez, Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra....
Continental breakfast is great. It included real oatmeal, not those packets, cold cereal, juices, hard boiled eggs, youghurt, fresh fruit, and nore. There is also a menu if you want a non-continental breakfast.
The bad part was we had a bunch of drunk guys yelling obscenities next door. We requested to move and were upgraded to a fabulous suite.
I rated sleep quality average because the drunks woke us and they should have been thrown out.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Gmoney6
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My daughter and I booked this hotel for an overnight stay while traveling from Northern California to Phoenix. After reading the mixed reviews, I was nervous. The hotel is a little old school - like stepping back in time - but in a good way. The lobby and pool areas are beautiful. The rooms are standard sized - and we had true "double" beds - which is what was advertised when we booked. The staff was friendly, all was clean and there were places to eat and shop within about a mile (as well as on-site eateries and room service.) The hotel is a bit older - but we embraced and enjoyed that. The staff was nice, the fitness center is open 24 hours (the pool closes for maintenance soon), there is a small on-site gift shop.....etc. I would come back and I would stay longer. Because of the age, the prices are better here - and I thought that it was a real value.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Homewood Suites by Hilton La Quinta
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Indian Wells Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!