“i should have done my homework!”

Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 10, 2005

i wish i would have read the reviews first! this was a last minute trip and from their internet site it looked like a nice quaint place to stay. i was given a room initially on the first floor which upon driving up to the door was nothing more than a well-dressed roadside motel room. the room was dark and dreary, not what one would expect of a "resort and spa". i requested a "brighter" room. i was sent to a building way in the back (11) which was also dark and felt rather unsafe as it was quite removed from the bright central area of the hotel. i settled with a room on the ground level in building number 4.
the sound insulation was completely inadequate. all night long i heard every noise from the room above me and in the hallway outside. i had a horrible night sleep only to be awoken at 5:00 am when the guests in the room above arose and prepared for their early sunday morning tee off. to add further injury, the clock radio alarm went off as it had been set prior to my arrival to ring at 5:15 am. the staff was less than accomodating and less than apologetic and only after i pressed them with my extreme dissatisfaction did they adjust my bill at a 50% rate. after reading several other reviews on this site and others, i only regret that i didn't do my "homework" on this before my trip as i would have saved myself a night of aggravation and a sunday which i dragged through as a result. i would never stay at this "resort" as it is completely sub par nor would i ever recommend it to any of my friends. the owners and the people who run this hotel should be embarrassed and their title "resort and spa" should be revoked and replaced with something more fitting to what they offer: a roadside motel.

• Stayed: December 2005
2  Thank abenyj
Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed December 6, 2005

Upon arriving on Friday afternoon, we parked in front of the main lobby and registered; no valet or bellman to be seen. The next evening, we stopped to consult with the concierge before parking: both a valet and bellman literally fell over themselves to greet us--feast or famine!

We were assigned a gound-level room overlooking the parking lot; I requested and recieved an upper-level room overlooking interior gardens. The front desk staff were pleasant and accomodating, as was the concierge, who was enthusiatic and efficient in suggesting local restaurants (we did not try the hotel's).

The Miramonte sports attractive landscaping and the rooms are nicely decorated, but the building construction is lacking in sound insulation: neighbors can be easily heard speaking, television and plumbing noises abound.

The Miramonte is a nice hotel for the price, but not a great hotel.

1  Thank Paul K
A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego
Reviewed November 25, 2005

My fiancee and I stayed at Miramonte last weekend and previous to that, I have never heard of tripadvisor?! We had an amazing weekend- the spa was true luxury with a great courtyard for relaxing before or after a treatment. The rooms were like new and the service was very friendly and accommodating. We checked the comments about the resort today and were surprised to see a history of either great or poor reviews!? I would recommend this resort as the perfect escape from the city for a long weekend. We have stayed at three other hotels in the palm springs area previous to Miramonte in the past few years and definitely liked Miramonte the best. I would tell readers not to be intimidated by the negative reviews that are on this site- we had a great experience..!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Oceanside,CA
Reviewed November 6, 2005

My husband and I just returned after spending our 10 year anniversary there this past weekend. Well after reading many reviews on this hotel and others in the area I decided on this one. When we first checked in, they had us in the back section which we thought nothing of. Well we entered the room to the lovely smell of paint! Then I found hair and stained sheets on the bed. I phoned the front desk to notify them and was told they would send housekeeping! I informed them we wanted another room! They did move us and now we were in building 9, closer to the large pool and spa. Well it was cleaner and a bit larger than the first room. But still the feel of an upgraded motel. You can hear everything and everyone around you. We were woke up to people going to there rooms (there was a wedding). Ran out of hot water..... restaurant over priced..... rooms over priced..... if you expect a 3 or 4 star hotel then your alright, but not a 5.
The grounds are beautiful and same with the pool. Just make sure you get a good rate on room. We paid $169 plus the $17 Resort fee. Should have looked on pirceline for a better rate. Then I would feel better about it. You think you get what you pay for....this case not.
Good luck.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 1, 2005

I agree with the reviewer who said it's more like a well dressed motel than a 5* hotel. We arrived & were told our rooms were in the last building & to park there. There was no offer of help with the lugagge. when I opened the room door I saw that there were 2 lightbulbs lying smashed on the floor I called reception & they told me they would send someone immediately, after an hour no one arrived so I went to find the maid, she informed me that it wasn't her room but would see that it was attended to. We then decided to go to the pool coz we couldn't unpack (The broken glass was all in front of the wardrobes) I asked a lady if there was pool service & she said to use the phone, when I picked it up it was dead so I sent my husband to find a waiter, we eventually were served about an hour later. The next day we went to the little pool & discovered the phone wasn't working there either. The next day a maintanance man was working on them but in the end he just removed them. This was the 1st time I have bought our drinks at a supermarket to consume on a hotels premises we also decided that due to the bad service we would have breakfast at the Renaissance hotel across the road.
Good points are that the grounds are beautiful & the rooms although not very big are very well decorated.
I'm sure with the correct management this hotel has great potential but unfortunately at the moment it lacks the service required for a 5* hotel.
I will definitely not be returning.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank Chrella
Reviewed September 10, 2005

i read the reviews and had reservations about the miramonte. maybe we had lower expectations after receiving a great rate on priceline but we found the resort far exceeded in every facet.
from the moment we checked in we received excellent service from the front staff the concierge and everyone else we encountered along the way.
the grounds are beautiful and are constantly being worked on. they had a nice workout facility. small but excellent equipment. my girlfriend loved the spa.
i do not understand the negative reviews. i do know they have just gone through a change in ownership so maybe that might explain some of it.
we also loved the palm spings area.

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank simon8748038
Reviewed September 6, 2005

Well, they seem to think very highly of themselves here, but really, it was just a well-dressed motel.

I got a "great deal" on one of those discount travel sites. It was the off-season, and there were very few guests at this place. So of course they loaded us all together in the cheapest part of the resort. The soundproofing was horrible, so you could hear the TV sets in the rooms on both sides. The air conditioning system was louder than any I have encountered in any hotel or motel I have stayed in.

I decided to take advantage of the “high class resort” surroundings. The pool area was littered with old towels, the exercise room appeared to have been neglected for several days (littered with empty paper cups and dirty towels), and the grounds crew started mowing the lawn under my window at 7:30 AM.

To top it all off, security was horrifying. One of the two keys they gave me didn’t work, so when I brought it back to the desk, the clerk just asked my name and re-keyed it to my room. No id, no real confirmation that I was they guy in the room. YIKES!

The $16 “resort fee” gave me access to the self parking lot, the filthy exercise room, the dirty pool, and the very overpriced spa (I did not feel like spending $150 for a massage)

If you are staying in the area, pick some place that actually lives up to the attitude they give

• Stayed: August 2005
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Indian Wells Resort Hotel
Indian Wells Resort Hotel
#4 of 4 in Indian Wells

Been to Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!