“loved the miramonte”

Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 10, 2005

i read the reviews and had reservations about the miramonte. maybe we had lower expectations after receiving a great rate on priceline but we found the resort far exceeded in every facet.
from the moment we checked in we received excellent service from the front staff the concierge and everyone else we encountered along the way.
the grounds are beautiful and are constantly being worked on. they had a nice workout facility. small but excellent equipment. my girlfriend loved the spa.
i do not understand the negative reviews. i do know they have just gone through a change in ownership so maybe that might explain some of it.
we also loved the palm spings area.

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank simon8748038
Write a ReviewReviews (1,622)

Reviewed September 6, 2005

Well, they seem to think very highly of themselves here, but really, it was just a well-dressed motel.

I got a "great deal" on one of those discount travel sites. It was the off-season, and there were very few guests at this place. So of course they loaded us all together in the cheapest part of the resort. The soundproofing was horrible, so you could hear the TV sets in the rooms on both sides. The air conditioning system was louder than any I have encountered in any hotel or motel I have stayed in.

I decided to take advantage of the “high class resort” surroundings. The pool area was littered with old towels, the exercise room appeared to have been neglected for several days (littered with empty paper cups and dirty towels), and the grounds crew started mowing the lawn under my window at 7:30 AM.

To top it all off, security was horrifying. One of the two keys they gave me didn’t work, so when I brought it back to the desk, the clerk just asked my name and re-keyed it to my room. No id, no real confirmation that I was they guy in the room. YIKES!

The $16 “resort fee” gave me access to the self parking lot, the filthy exercise room, the dirty pool, and the very overpriced spa (I did not feel like spending $150 for a massage)

If you are staying in the area, pick some place that actually lives up to the attitude they give

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank fishboy007
Reviewed September 5, 2005

The mixed reviews on this hotel were a bit of a concern, but we arrived with fairly high hopes. My overall impression of the Miramonte was that it had the some of the foundations of a luxury resort, but missed the mark on nearly all of the details. I'll give the abbreviated version of the pros and cons first, with a more detailed account for those interested below.

Pros:
Grounds are very attractive. Nice views of the mountains and very nice landscaping.

Pools were above average and the inclusion of an adult pool was nice (the general use pool was pretty full and a bit rowdy).

Large rooms.

Cons:
Service: Staff was generally not very accommodating or, in some cases, even pleasant. The mix of tripadvisor reviews on this element is a bit confusing. I found absolutely no element of the service here comparable to "luxury resort" standards, but perhaps they have better days...

Cleanliness: I do not believe there was a single time during the weekend at which the hallways were free of discarded linens and cleaning carts. In addition, the room had a mini-bar refrigerator that appeared to be broken and smelled terribly.

Resort fees: note that you will be charged about $17 a day for resort fees which are in place so that you can have such luxuries as use of the pool and fitness center and have coffee in your room at no additional cost. If the fee were included in the room rate that would be one thing, but it seems tacky and rather disingenuous to add this on under the guise of a resort fee.

Overall experience:
Again, we arrived with relatively high hopes. Those hopes were only somewhat dashed by the inability of the hotel staff to get us checked in. We arrived somewhat early initially and were told that the room was unavailable, which is understandable, and that guaranteed check in wasn't until 4:00. We arrived back just before 4:30 only to be told that guranteed check in wasn't until "4:00 or later" and it was impossible to get us a room. This turned out to be rather typical of interactions with the staff at this hotel. The emphasis seemed to be more on passing the problem off to the guest rather than attempting to provide excellent service. After a bit of persistence, the impossibility of getting us a room somehow disappeared and we were checked in.
We spent a good deal of time lounging by the pool which was quite nice. Note, however, that I am holding the Miramonte up to 3.5 star standards and not luxury standards as this is the category in which it lies realistically. I had just returned from a Four Seasons resort before visiting the Miramonte and the Miramonte pools/grounds are certainly a couple of notches below those.
We ordered a couple of drinks poolside-pina coladas were good. The bloody mary I had was almost undrinkable-think BBQ sauce cut with a little vodka.
The room itlself was quite large, but also pretty unremarkable. There was a good deal of peeling paint and pretty chinsy details. Simple things like really flimsy closet doors and yellowed plastic light covers in the bathroom. I understand that the resort is actually undergoing some rennovations and I am assuming our room had not yet been covered. Make sure you check on this. Along with room details, other elements just seemed off. Most luxury resorts do not had piles of dirty linens littering the halls for long periods of time, nor do they have sketchy parking lots-at least this one was being actively patroled by a police cruiser while we were there.
Overall, I wasn't impressed with this resort (hotel). I would not recommend it unless you are getting a great rate and are assured you'll be in a renovated room. Personally, I wouldn't stay there even if I had such a guarantee. A place that bills itself as a luxury resort needs to provide a certain level of service that the Miramonte is very far from achieving, rennovations or not. I guess you get what you pay for (plus $17).

• Stayed: September 2005

La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Indian Wells Resort Hotel
Indian Wells Resort Hotel
#4 of 4 in Indian Wells

Been to Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!