“Very disappointing second visit - As the old adage goes: Too good to be true?”

Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Irvine
“Very disappointing second visit - As the old adage goes: Too good to be true?”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

While I enjoyed my stay the first time around, this time the Miramonte didn't deliver! I am a Big Sister from the Big Brother/Big Sister organization and treated my little sister to a Palm Springs weekend. So it was kind of a big deal for me as it was her first time to Palm Springs and I wanted her to experience the nice feeling of staying at a pool resort like this one, or so I thought. Through Expedia, I booked a 2 queen bed Luxury room and got an old, falling apart room (toilet handle not going back up after each flush, unless you move it up yourself, half broken bathroom door handle, very dingy smell throughout the entire hallway of building 12, overall dingy looking room and unusable patio because of the smell). It appeared that the resort is being renovated and big sections of the back parking lot were used to store huge pods, which made parking difficult. The worst part was the sewer smell outside and around Building 12 that attacked our senses each time going in or going out. Not something you want when you are on a weekend vacation or any day for that matter. On top of these issues, the staff was not really helpful. Upon arrival, we asked where the room was located on the map to the building, so that we could park close by as the outside temperature was 106, they sent us to the wrong side of the building and we had to walk to the other side. A bit disappointing that the staff doesn't know where each room is located in each building! The next day, we left very early and only came back at 3:30pm to discover our room hadn't been cleaned yet (and yes, we made sure NOT to leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign of course, and it's unfortunate that the hotel doesn't provide a "Please clean the room sign" as I wish I could have placed it on our door handle to ensure the room would be cleaned. We had to call Housekeeping ourselves at 4pm as not housekeeper was to be seen on our floor. When I asked how come the room wasn't done at this time of the day, they had no reason whatsoever and sent us someone 20 minutes later, who pretended not to speak English so that she didn't have to answer my question to her regarding the lack of service. Unfortunately for her, we also speak Spanish and noticed that she did totally understood us as she slipped and answered in English as she was leaving the room. Also, upon arrival, we noticed the mini bar was totally empty and when we call to ask if that was a mistake (we didn't want to be charged for beverages we didn't consume), I referred to the mini bar as the "mini fridge" and was immediately corrected by the front desk that it was not a mini fridge but a mini bar. Huh? Well thanks for the English lesson... I guess...? Lastly, the pool area was still busy, unfortunately the service didn't appear to be existent. And a lot of earlier guests seemed to have left the area, towels were laying down a bit everywhere and it didn't appear there was enough staff to clean the grounds up a bit. We decided to skip it altogether as it was not an inviting scene. At the end of the day, my little sister still enjoyed her visit to Palm Springs thanks to the activities we were able to conduct outside of the hotel such as hiking on top of the San Jacinto mountain, but this was probably the last time I used the Miramonte for lodging. Is it because I booked this "deal" through Expedia that I got this result? (I paid $129 plus tax per night and the Miramonte charges you another $25 per night for resort fee and either $15 for valet or $8 self parking per night once you check in) I wonder.... Yes, as the old adage goes, it was too good to be true!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Pascaleh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Anaheim, California
Reviewed August 30, 2012

The resort is breathtaking, the staff very friendly ! took my hubby for his birthday, room service was so accomadating that they went all out and brought him a choc cupcake w strawberries n blueberries arrange perfectly, on the house... what was supprising after having a wonderful dinner we get back to our room and there is a bday card and a white tile with a green leaf n a choc covered strawberry on top,, presentation presentation... very impressed, as for the spa felt it was a lil over priced $$... (only reason was able to afford was thru groupon) got to love it..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 24, 2012

This resort is absolutely stylish and a good place to stay. The rooms are big. Suggest to request a renovated room - which makes a difference(!). The pool is rather hot in summer - which is a down side. A big pro is the great service. What a great staff. They will do anything to make your stay more enjoyable. Truly recommend this hotel to anyone going to the area - although next time we might go for a hotel with a "cooler" pool.

Rooms are clean, although we prefer a resort where the rooms are in a building (due to the "motel" set-up, there are more bugs in the room- compared to a regular hotel).

Down side is that we enjoy the 5 star experience - and many guests are there because of a Groupon deal, reducing the style (making a it a bit low-class).
Will for sure go back on a next stay.

Down side is the US 8 self parking fee - which feels absolutely not fair in the middle of the desert.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FlyingPlatinum
Burbank, California
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Brought my mom here to celebrate a belated Mother's Day. We hung out by the pool most of the time and enjoyed the Mediterranean ambiance and pool service. Our room was spacious and nicely decorated in warm tones. The beds were comfortable and the toiletries including shampoo and conditioner were very good. I would purchase these on my own. Breakfast outdoors was a beautiful treat and the food and service were great.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fairfield, California
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The service was TERRIBLE!
Pool sign says "No GLASSWARE and no coolers" so me and my group went back to our room and poured our drinks into plastic cups. I stayed at the room called front desk to get a cork screw and I had to wait an HOUR for room service to bring me a cork screw.
Finally at the pool and there are NO SIGNS that says "no smoking" and someone comes and says there is no smoking in the pool area but will need to stand on the opposite side of the gate.
We eventually started ordering from the bar and because one person was cut off from the bar our entire group of people were cut off with no notice.
The assistant manager (last name) Bama she has NO customer service skills and does not know how to resolve an issue and her resolution was to dismiss me and say "I will call the manager and return" only for her to NOT return. I spoke with the Bar manager Javier and he was not able to help us and was rude.

The pool area was just a MESS. People come and go pool towels are left behind and although there are a lot of pool attendants and the MANAGER at the poolside they DON'T maintain with the pool cleanliness. As new comers come they are busy looking for chairs because all the chairs are covered with used towels by people who returned to their rooms.

I HAD WAY BETTER SERVICE AT OTHER HOTELS AND RESORTS THAT HAD GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. THEIR PRIORITY IS MAKING SURE THAT US PAYING CUSTOMERS WERE SATISFIED BECAUSE WITH GREAT SERVICES EQUALS RETURNING CUSTOMERS BUT THAT IS WHAT THIS MIRAMONTE RESORT LACKS. NEIGHBORS NEXT DOOR TO US SLIDING DOOR HAD SHATTERED AND ALL THEY DID WAS TAPED IT UP BUT YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD MOVE THE PEOPLE WHO WERE OCCUPYING THAT ROOM INTO A NEW ROOM FOR THEIR SAFETY.

This was my FIRST & LAST time at Miramonte Resort.

Room Tip: Book at a different resort
4 Thank lisimoa
Pasadena, CA
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Stayed here for two nights mid-week for a conference and overall impression is very good. Everyone who worked there seemed to care about the level of service they were giving, from the valet attendant to front desk to maid service. The grounds are gorgeous of course, and the property seems designed to make you feel rested [though we didn't do much exploring in the 110+ degree heat!] Our room exceeded our expectations in its' size and comfort as well [TWO large flat-screen TV's certainly help!] Unfortunately never made it out to the pool or spa but will review those on our next visit.

1 Thank HouseofJung
MiramonteManagement, Guest Relations Manager at Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know of your recent experiences with our resort. Yes, it is difficult to “explore” with the mercury so high this time of year. We look forward to having you back with us in the near future when you can enjoy the pool and relax and rejuvenate in our WELL Spa.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed here years ago and thought the property and the experience were both very pleasant. Well I was here over this past weekend and it was sub-par in every way. We were headed down to the desert for a girls weekend and I snagged a great "48 hour sale" rate of $119 a night and unfortunately we WAY over-paid. The property is in such disrepair and neglect the Motel 6 down the street looked like the Ritz. We checked in and our room not only smelled funny but the carpet was stained, the wall paper was ripped, the vent above the sink was covered in dust, the shower head was weak, the towels were old and discolored,the bathroom was so out-dated it again, looked like a Motel 6 and the attitude at the front desk was poor. I called to see if we could get another room and the girl said they were fully committed. I highly doubt that, it was 114 degrees in the desert and I went on-line and there were many rooms available. We decided to just go to the adult pool and the jacuzzi looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks, it was so dirty. There is no service at all at that pool either. We decided to just relax and go to the bar to grab something to eat for dinner and that was average. The food was not bad but the service was disorganized. This was easily the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in the desert and I've been visiting that area for over 20 years. Also, I left my havianas in the room and when I called housekeeping to see if they found them they said they would look and call me right back. That was yesterday. Take my advice, DO NOT STAY HERE!

6 Thank winey1
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I certainly apologize for your experience and that it was not up to your expectations. The resort is currently undergoing a guestroom renovation that will be completed at the second week of September. Our hope is to have you back with us when it is completed.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!