“Large complex, but relaxingh”

Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We were there for just one night, paying $71 plus taxes/fees through Priceline. The only amenity we used was the fitness room, so I can't comment on the large pool (including sand beach for kids), etc.. They were showing a film for chidlren in the garden area, so if you have kids with you they probably would not get bored. The room was nice. We were first given a room overlooking the front entranceway, but when I requested a change, they moved us to a side room with a view of the mountains. This is a large complex, and we got in a lot of exercise just walking between the elevators and our room. We had dinner in town. My wife did consider getting her hair done at the spa, but when she learned that the prices started at $90 for the very most basics, she declined. Lots of people playing golf, of course. I was expecting to pay a resort fee and parking fee but don't believe I was charged for either (this would have affected my rating for "value").

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 24, 2010

Stayed at the hotel for a conference. My room was very nice with the typical Marriott chain bed which is very comfortable. My first thought was that this would be a very nice place to spend a summer weekend and hang out at the pool. However, when I saw the size of the pool and compared it to the number of rooms, I decided that I will not spend a weekend at this property. The pool area is simply not big enough. When I was there, we had an historical rain event and the pool was not used. Still, at night I could hear people partying down at the pool and being quite noisy. Nothing wrong with that but if I think about how wild this might be in the summer when the hotel is fully booked, this might not be the place for a romantic get away.

One thing that really is annoying is that you can hear everything in the hallways. The room doors are about an inch too short and thus you can hear everything. That is completely unacceptable for a hotel that wants to be upscale.

So, if you don't mind the above, here are the positives. The rooms are very spacious. The staff was very friendly. I had room service and the food quality was good, but the pizza I ordered was cold and I had to return it. There is a nice lobby bar. The fitness center is nicely equipped and roomy.

Given the nice sized rooms and the fact that this hotel is not a high rise, expect to walk a lot if your room is at the wrong side of the hotel. Actually, the rooms the farthest away are probably the best, but be aware. I didn't mind the walk but I know that some people do. There is a separate pool elevator that gets you down to the pool from the back side of the hotel without having to go through the lobby.

All in all, this being a resort I don't think I would ever stay here to spend a weekend at the pool. For a conference this was just fine during off season.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Out for two days midweek and can only say nice things about this property.

With Platinum status, when I arrived an associate came out to my car and checked me in and a bellman whisked me to my room. This was service.

Good food especially in the Italian restaurant on site.

Pool area was well maintained and a cascading wall of water at the pool kept noise levels down.

Even though several meetings were happening, you never felt it was a convention hotel.

Really a comfortable stay. . ..

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2010

We got a good deal on this through Priceline, $65 for the room, but the resort fees add another $24 a day. Can't complain much, but if you are reading Trip Advisor reviews, then you are likely interested in the details, so here it is:

The lobby and common areas were very nice. The rooms were okay. The balcony seems to be added as an after thought, as it was quite small, about as wide as a chair. We had a view of the golf course, that was nice enough. We weren't too impressed with the structure; it was ugly.

The pool looked good, though we did not use it (we live in Southern CA and thought it too cold in December) but we saw quite a few people out there sunbathing (guessed they were midwesterners and back easters...). I suspect the pool would be REALLY crowded during high tourist times and the summer.

The room was okay, nothing great. There was a broken lamp with a crooked lamp shade (and I mean crooked!) and we wondered how this could have been missed by housekeeping. Many of the pictures were slanted too. We liked how the toilet is in a separate room with door, and the his and hers sinks. We suspect that there was a loose seal on the toilet, as there was a sewage smell after flushing. The smell dissipated shortly and was not strong enough to get into the room, so we did not bother to report it. Another lamp had a burned out light bulb. Again, not big problems, but if we were paying full price, (the Marriott website had the rooms at $179 a night), we would have been none too pleased.

We were going to order room service one day, but there was no book of services in our room and/or room service menu. So, we went online and obtained the menu from the website.

As other reviewers noted, the hotel is very child oriented. One night we had some drinks by the firepits (loved these!) and there was a giant movie screen at the end of the pool showing a children's movie. We were glad for the peace and quiet when the movie ended. I wouldn't stay here again, unless I was with small children.

Self parking: the back parking structure was easier, and on your first time there, you may not know how to get back into the hotel!

Surprisingly, the hotel restaurant was delicious! Excellent service and great food.

Service was adequate, but not very friendly. Typical for CA, so we are used to that.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 2, 2010

The Renaissance Esmeralda seems to get low marks here, so I was concerned to be staying at it on a recent night away in the Palm Springs area. It turned out to be much better than I was bracing for, so I left satisfied. However, there is a long road ahead for this property if it wants to live up to its "resort" name.

I booked this hotel for my aunt and me not very long before our trip, so I found a great rate on Priceline. I am aware that, like Las Vegas, most properties here think it is okay to charge an additional resort fee on top of advertised rates. (Hint to hoteliers: It isn't. You generate a lot of disgust from your customers for this ill-conceived practice.) Not only does the Renaissance Esmeralda embrace this practice, it also charges extra for parking!

I had no trouble requesting a room with two beds at check in. The hotel lobby and grounds were nice, and our pleasantly appointed room looked out onto the adjacent golf course. (We would have been uncomfortably close to the hotel's refuse area had we been a floor down.) The pool area was the property's true highlight, but we only used one of the two hot tubs during our visit because the entire pool area closes surprisingly early (10 PM) for a resort.

Our hot tub experience brought out the bad side of the hotel. We were really happy to find two hot tubs on the premises, as one had been taken over by teens; some disturbingly young girls were trying to win the affection of the older guys there. This wasn't our problem--until we subsidize their teen pregnancies of course--so we moved on.

However, I could not locate a towel to save my life. I actually went indoors to request some, and I was assured that they would be brought out. They never came, so I went in again and asked for towels. I was once again assured that they would come, and again, they never did. One of the guys who later joined us had better success; maybe I forgot to flirt with the staff or something. I will note, however, that staff had no trouble locating us at 10:00 sharp to kick us out.

Overall, we had a good experience because we paid nothing close to the regular advertised rate. Plus we managed not to be charged the resort or parking fees! Sad how avoiding unnecessary fees makes me happy. What have hotels come to these days? I doubt many people will be this lucky, so I recommend looking elsewhere (unless the cool pool is a big deal to you). Because the hotels in the Palm Springs area are so full of themselves, that may mean vacationing somewhere else entirely. Good luck.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank davdaven
Reviewed December 30, 2009

We have stayed at this property countless times over the last several years, however, as we attempted to check-in for a recent visit we encountered such grossly apathetic, unprofessional staffers at the front desk and an MOD that should be working at a widget factory, that we cancelled our reservation on the spot.

We always stay in a suite yet suddenly there were none to be had. Our room rate was also different than the price set when the reservation was made more than a week earlier. Combine snotty, incapable staff, incapable unprofessional MOD and a town hurting for folks to check-in for a week's stay at one of it's many, many hotels and, no problem getting a new reservation at a more than competitive rate on no notice!
We went to the Hyatt, its right next door, excellent service, Fantastic pool facilities, stellar kids programming.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank CKJonas
Reviewed December 23, 2009

We just returned home today, from a 5 day stay at the Esmeralda. I tend to like to stay outside of Palm Springs, because it is nicer and quieter.
The Esmeralda, did not let me down. I was a bit weary, after reading some of the reviews on here.
It is worth nothing, that the hotel is far from downtown P.S., about 20 miles.
The service was impeccable and the room was big and clean. The service at the pool was efficient.
A few things to note;
The pool is shallow, about 3 feet.
There may be families at this resort, so if you are looking for an adults only place, this is not for you. I was not bothered, but we also went during a slow time (before Christmas).
The "hidden fees" reviewers talk about, is common for most resorts, the 24 dollar fee, covers your internet, water bottles in your room and bikes.
Go on a bike ride, there's plenty of bike trails to take advantage of.
There's a sushi bar, it was decent! There's a breakfast buffet, which was good, same food each day we were there.
Overall, this was a nice and quiet getaway from our daily lives in Los Angeles.
I would certainly return, especially since we scored a 100 dollar credit per night.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!