“Loved the Renaissance Esmeralda”

Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 14, 2006

Just got back from a stay at the Renaissance Esmeralda hotel. We were very impressed with the grounds of the hotel and the rooms which both looked like the pictures on this website. The pool was beautiful with a pool bar and 2 jacuzzis. The rooms were spacious with very comfortable big beds and big bathrooms and our room had a pool view. The staff was very attentive and helpful. Great restaurants, coffee bar and piano lounge/bar. I would definitely stay here again. My only complaint was some trash by the jacuzzis but we told the manager and it was cleaned up.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed February 17, 2006

We just returned from a long weekend at the Renaissance, and we loved it! When you fly into Palm Springs, you feel like you are landing on a movie set. The flowers, fruit trees and clean streets and sidewalks are lovely. The hotel is about 20 minutes from the airport. The grounds, golf course, flower lined walkways and pool are beautiful! The rooms are very nice. The beds cozy, bathrooms nice and shampoos wonderful. The food is also very good. I had a massage on Saturday, and it was fabulous. The spa is relaxing and pampering. My husband loved the golf course and said it was beautifully landscaped. My only complaints: the shower is an older bath/shower and there was some noise in the halls early in the morning. We are planning on returning next year!

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank threekidsplustwo
Huntington Beach, Ca.
Reviewed February 15, 2006

We stayed only one night, but when we checked in we found that our reservations for 2 rooms had been lost and we were charged more than had been quoted when we made our reservations a month earlier. I had misplaced our confirmation numbers. Therefore, our rooms were at the furthest end of the property, which made such a long walk from/to the elevator difficult since one of us was limping from a hiking accident a few days earlier. It was a physically painful visit!

After checking out, I realized I had left my pj top in my room, but instead of asking to go back for it (due to the long walk), I decided to call from home & have it sent to me. Mistake! The first time I called Lost & Found, the fellow came back in less than a minute & said it had not been turned in. With subsequest calls, the other men said it would take 5 minutes to look for & I waited, but it was never found. Apparently, the maid had tossed it out. So
be careful not to leave anything of value behind, as it almost certainly will not be recovered. However, the food in both restaurants was fabulous, the personnel were all courteous, the rooms and other areas are very clean and the hotel grounds are just
beautiful.

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 25, 2006

We stayed two nights with our two boys and the hotel was one of the very best we have stayed at in terms of overall ambience and experience. I agree with the last reviewer, this hotel is not quite a 5 Star hotel. We must have checked in at a bad time because we were not greeted by a chilled towel, or tea or anything else. Check-in process was a little long and there were some confusion on their part although they did not divulge to me what the problems were. There were no room upgrades offered or requested and we pretty much got the room we asked for. They were not particularly friendly at the front desk either as you normally get with other 5 star places.

A little advice, ask for a room close to an elevator as ours was quite a distance from the elevator.

I believe the star rating system is relative to your own personal experiences and what type of hotels you have stayed in. Those of you who have stayed at the Ritz, Hyatt or any other 5 stars will know there is that little bit missing (e.g. when you check in they just take your last name, when you call down to front desk, they greet you by your last name, usually there is a chilled towel in hot areas and cool refreshments...) none of those things were present during our stay. On the other hand if you have stayed at 3 to 4 star mostly, you will abosolutely fall in love with the hotel's ambience and conveniences. I personally think they are 4 to 4 1/2 star hotel.

With those things being said, everything else is above average in terms of rooms, cleanliness, service, and amenities. It is much cheaper during the summer than fall or winter so make your budget plans accordingly.

The hotel is located in Indian Wells which is only about a 15-20 min. drive to Palm Springs. Another reviewer wrote it is a 45 minute drive but that is greatly exaggerated. Even during the local rush traffic hour, it only took us 20 min. to get to Palm Springs twice.

We have stayed at all the major hotels numberously(including Miramonte, both of the Hyatts, Wyndham, The Spa among many others in the area) in the Palm Springs and surrounding areas over the last 10 years and this is the best one in the area by far, although not quite a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank SEANAY
Reviewed December 28, 2005

We stayed here for 4 nights, had a AAA hot deal for 169$ which made it worth it. Breakfast is not included but Charisma is a great restuarant with wonderful breakfast ($12.95 avg/person). Not cheap but was a good brunch (we could skip lunch). The ambience and surroundings are gorgeous. We had a king bed room on the 4th floor facing the pool..the view from the balcongy was wonderful, I felt I was in hawaii :) The room however, like a post mentions, lacked the 5 star quality, only a tiny chest of drawers, no fridge and $9.95 for internet access. If you have kids, the pools are very nice, with a waterfall, that for me was the strongest feature..Nice place to just relax and take in the luxurious ambience. I would go ther e again if I get a good deal. The conceirge and staff are all very helpful. The hotel seemed to cater to somewhat high-end crowd (different from residence inn). But lots of families, the pool area is great for toddlers and young kids. They have a kids club and Spa (didn't use any of them) but if I had the money for a week or more stay, I would have :)

• Stayed: December 2005
7  Thank spring0985
Newport Coast CA
Reviewed November 13, 2005

My fiance and I frequent many fine hotels for quick weekend getaways and love the Lodge at Rancho Mirage, however with the recent construction etc, decided to give the Renaissance a try. At first glance, I was nervous. We are picky and the architecture of the hotel was not welcoming. It looks like a big cinder block prison or high school building. YUCK. We both agreed the architect should be shot, BUT the landscape architect did a fantastic job!! The grounds are truly beautiful and the attention to detail was surprising with this class of hotel. In addition, we were quickly won over by the amazing staff and the level of service that we received. The pool staff was very attentive and obliged us happily dragging heavy umbrellas over to shade us. Also, the restaurant onsite was very good- it is privately owned and surpassed our expectations by far. The views from the golf course rooms were perfect, especially at sunrise. While we were there we saw mostly adults and only a few children, but it seems like it could be a very family friendly resort as well.

• Stayed: September 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 29, 2005

We are frequent visitors to the Palm Desert area and have stayed at many of the resorts. Though we love the lake at the JW and the rooms at the Marriott Villas, the pool and customer service at the Esmeralda are the best. They accommodated every single one of our requests, with no charge. Such a rarity at hotels these days.
The "baby beach" is absolutely perfect for little ones, although there is plenty of other pool area for those without kids.
Can't wait to go back.

3 mi away
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!