“Absolutely Fabulous!!!! Will Definitely Be Returning Again!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
San Diego, CA
“Absolutely Fabulous!!!! Will Definitely Be Returning Again!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2009

My family and I stayed at the Renaissance Esmeralda Resort *&Spa from August 29th to September 2nd. This is a fabulous, beautiful and luxurious hotel for anyone, and it is very accomodating to families with young children. We were greeted by a very courteous bellman, and the staffperson who checked me in was very polite and helpful. The pool area is amazing! 4 pools with a bar in the center!!!! The hotel provides free swim diapers for all children 3 and under, iced water stations and waitressing staff that will take your order and promptly bring your food back to you. Everyone was extremely nice to us, and the pool area was kept very clean by the staff. The hotel provides sand toys in the beachy area near the shallow end at one of the pools. There were dive in movies almost every night for the kids (One night we watched Shrek 3), and fun activities for the kids as well during the day (one afternoon there was bubbletime, another afternoon there was a hula hoop contest). The outside patio area has tons of comfy lounge couches and several firepits if you want to hang out there and chat and have a drink at night. On Saturday night they had a great guitar player performing outside also.

I read some mixed reviews from other hotel visitors - and I have to say that we had a very clean, updated and beautiful room, and no problem getting towels or a seat at the pool area when we went there. Our air conditioning unit in our hotel room was at 67 degrees and that was fine with us. There were a lot of families with kids during the weekend part of our stay, but that was totally fine with us as we have kids ourselves. However, I did see a few people who might not have realized that this was a kid friendly hotel looking a little shocked at all of the kids in the pool. (They seemed to be all couples who had no kids with them). It cleared out pretty much by Sunday afternoon though and it was pretty quiet at the hotel for the rest of our stay.

I just really enjoyed being at this hotel because it was absolutely beautiful and luxurious, and I felt welcome to come there with my chilren. It's hard nowadays to find somewhere that makes you feel comfortable in a fancy place when you walk in with young children. I have told all of my friends and family about this hotel, strongly recommending it to anyone I know!!!! We'll definitely be going back next summer to stay here!

1 Thank karmagirl73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed at the Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa over the weekend for a work conference. We had four of us staying in one room. The room was clean and spacious and the beds were very comfortable. We were all a little frustrated with the air conditioner that didn’t work well in 110-degree weather. We also had a non-functioning iron (which they eventually replaced). They only provided us with two towels when we had booked four adults for the room. For a five star hotel we were not impressed.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Piscataway, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

I spent 5 nights at this hotel for a conference. The lobby and pools are beautiful. I did not have my children with me, but this is a very family friendly resort, I saw many children with their families having fun splashing around in the pools, and playing in the sand around the pool areas.The resort grounds are well kept, with lots of flowers; and the golf course is meticulously groomed. The rooms are spacious with standard marriot amenities. The carpet in the hallways had stains , and the staff takes a long time to retreive food trays left outside rooms, which diminishes the aesthetic appearnce of the hallways. The Food in the restaurants is very good, but quite expensive, the towns of Indian Wells and Palm Springs have many terrific restaurants with a variety of price ranges to match different budgets. If you visit this hotel , don't miss visiting the Golf Club's restaurant located on the resort. It is not owned by Marriot, and it is stunning, with great views and excellent food and service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Luvtravel
Northridge, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

The Es used to be such a great place. My friends and I have been going to the Es for a yearly mini-reunion since the early 2000's. We're all in our 40's. The yearly Palm Springs trip is always about rest and relaxation. The Es was the perfect spot. Quiet. Serene. Beautiful hotel. Smells great. Really nice spa. Good service. Good restaurants.

Even at full capacity, the hotel felt very subdued. But it was mostly marketed to adult conferences and upscale travelers.

A few years ago, management made a CLEAR choice to become the family discount getaway of the desert. They started discounting more deeply than we'd ever seen. Then, the added the Spongebob Squarepants and Dora Experience for kids. Even the website went from depictions of a very subdued experience to pictures of kids with floaties. Well, the good news for them is that they've succeeded. This place is now over run by kids. And what's weird is that the lower prices have also attracted the 20-something singles. So all day long, you have the screaming, out-of-control packs of kids. And all night long you have the drunk, out-of-control packs of 20-somethings.

All to say, this is not the resort experience it once was. My friends and I have decided to stay in the other resort across the street, which we've had very good experiences with.

Sad to say... The Es had been a mecca for us. Not so much anymore.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
7 Thank NDNation
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

If the hotel isn's class enough for you, you will be pushed OVER the edge with joy with the Nickolodean package featuring SPonge Bob Dora Movies Crafts Contests Free Gifts and In room prizes--we had a 11, 10 and 8 year old (boys) on this trip and they concluded the "BEST TRIP OF Their Lives" we as parents tend to agree with the 5 star brunch and intimate moments to have pictures and hugs from Sponge Bob and the Nick Team...it was SURROUND_SMILES in 3-D; Thanks Jennypher!!!!

Very worth the package price and actually more affordable with fun and food included :)

1 Thank PaulaM2222
Arcadia, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

We came to this resort just because of the pool. At check in they give you wristbands to identify you as a hotel guest since supposedly only hotel guests allowed in pool area. On Saturday went to pool and it was packed. No one was checking for wristbands, so the pool was packed with mostly people without wristbands. Also, they were out of towels. Probably because non hotel guests were using them. Kept asking for towels and they kept saying another 15-20 minutes, but never was able to get any towels. As for the rooms they are dated and the beds are VERY hard. Woke up with pain in neck. If you are only traveling here for the pool then would recommend you do what everyone else does and stay somewhere else and then come here for pool.

2 Thank cnakatani
Durham,uk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2009

As part of our uber tour of the South West USA, this summer, we decided that the Palm Springs area, would be a great stopping place part way between our previous stay in San Deigo, and our onward stay in Scottsdale.

As we arrived, the Valet parking assistants were very friendly and happy to see us, however the whole experience deteriorated at a rapid rate of knots from here.

We went to check in...
At this point, I'll outline that I'm an Elite member with Marriott, and thus have an idea of what to expect.
The checkin staff, were utterly disinterested, quickly taking a swipe of the credit card, and then bizarrely issuing us with daily wrist bands for the pool. This set the alarm bells ringing pretty heavily.
This was the first point where we requested the rollaway ( also listed on the reservation), for our 6 year old son. We were told that one would be sent up to the room... Cool!

We walked up to our room, and our bags arrived shortly afterwards... The bell-man was very nice to us, showing us the room, and ordering a fridge... (yes.. more cool).

I asked about the rollaway at this point, and he requested it on the phone to housekeeping... who told him it would be up in 10 mins..

15 minutes later, a fridge arrives... no bed. I leave it an hour then ring down and ask for the bed. Again promised, within 15 mins, but still nothing.

We decided to go to the pool, at this point which is really sizable. On with our wristbands ( the sort you wear at an all inclusive, or a "cheap" hotel ) and off we went to the pool.

We arrived, found a spot and then went into the pool.
I must have pulled AT LEAST 10 glasses off the pool floor within 10 minutes... seriously. As we moved across the pool, there was a large body of "jocks" with their girlfriends, who were clearly drunk, and the bar staff were still serving them as much as they could drink. They were just tossing the glasses into the pool, and generally making a nuisance of themselves with all the other guests. The pool staff wernt interested AT ALL, even when it was brought to their attention... essentially they were frightened to speak to them, in case trouble kicked off.

We had enough and left the pool and went back to the room... STILL no bed.... another call, another promise, and then ....

We decide to get changed and go for dinner. As we walk through the hotel, the same drunks from previously started generally making a nuisance of themselves with the hotel guests, and specifically saying something to my 6 year old... This was just not on ... at all.
All I can imagine is that the wristbands are in keeping with the whole flavour of the hotel... a cheap feeling, and probably has lots of problems with folks crashing the pool area as it is large.

After dinner we return to the room,.... Sill no bed.

Our 6 year old slept on a daybed in the room til 4am, where we put him in with us.

The air con was virgeing on ineffective, noisier than it should be and pointed directly from overhead at the bed.

By 6am, I'd called ahead to scottsdale and arranged an extra two nights, so we could move on and leave this dreadful place behind.

On checkout, I was asked the automatic question of "what was your stay like". I told girl to look and see that I'm leaving two days early, because its dreadful. She offers me to see the manager, but then tells me that he's too busy, and he'll call or email me... at this point its now 3 weeks later, and I'm now back in the UK.... still nothing.

The whole experience baring the Valet parking guys, was pretty shoddy... the hotel is looking shabby in places, and quite a few areas dont feel air conditioned (or simply ineffective). When its 120 degrees outside, you need the AC to at least be working.

Would I go back, NO WAY... not even if I was paid to.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!