“Not quite a 5 star hotel, but an enjoyable stay”

Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
Reviewed September 25, 2005

An impromptu girls getaway led us to this resort and spa. It is quite a few miles outside of Palm Springs in Indian Wells. After turning our car over to the valet at the entrance to the hotel (valet service is $18/night, but self park (quite a hike) is also available), we were greeted by a hostess serving flutes of iced tea (a nice touch). We were able to check in easily (although at some 5 star resorts I've stayed in, check-in is not necessary...just give them your last name, they've been waiting for you). Our room was as indicated when we booked through a travel internet site. However, we had indicated that there would be 3 adults staying in the room but the room was only stocked for 2 (not enough towels or glasses). In addition, there was no mini fridge, instead one had to be ordered (this should have been standard at a 5 star) and there was no in-room safe (again, should be standard at a 5 star given the clientele they generally attract). Our corner room (which is 200 SF bigger than a standard room) was spacious and neatly appointed (however, the curtains were 1970's style) and the wall paper in the bathroom had begun to peel (even though this hotel had undergone a remodel). The mattresses were substandard for a 5 star as were the scratchy bed linens and foam pillows (again, should be high thread count cotton and goose down pillows in a luxury hotel).
The pool was big with plenty of lounge chairs, umbrellas, and side tables, however, the poolside service was very slow (especially during a non-holiday, end of season weekend). The food by the pool was good and there were enough offerings.

We ordered room service for dinner and, again, the food was great (except skip the milk and cookies, as the cookies are nothing to write home about). The french fries are a must have.

The next morning the 3 of us had spa treatments at the on premise spa. Our spa experience was fabulous. The staff was prompt, courteous, and highly trained and the ambiance was relaxing and enjoyable. We highly recommend the Deep Cleansing Facial, the Cocoa Butter Massage or teh Hot Stone Treatment. The only downside is that payment is required up front, prior to service, and an 18% gratuity is added. I think adding the gratuity prior to the service being rendered in un-called for. And, I would have gladly tipped 20% or more but there was no opportunity for that.

Finally, we requested a late check-out (check out is at 12:00) to accommodate the finish times of our spa treatments. I had to speak to a supervisor after being told no at the front desk, and even she only allowed us 1/2 hour. Given that check-out is 12:00 and check in is not until 4:00, they should have easily accommodated a late check out for guests using their spa.

This hotel is not in the 5 star class it rates itself, although the spa is. Overall, our stay was enjoyable, but the WOW factor was missing.

• Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank VictoriaInAltadena
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Reviewed September 13, 2005

I stayed at the Esmeralda last weekend with a friend. I thought the hotel was perfectly nice, albeit quite sterile. If you like large chain hotels, then this is a great place for you. If you prefer something with a bit more character and charm then I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Also, a few more things, this hotel is quite far away from palm springs (about a 45 minute drive) and all the other reviews about the pool being overrun by kids are completely true. I think that this is a great place for families but for people looking for a bit of serenity and character, I would suggest to stay elsewhere. Nevertheless, we had a nice stay at the Esmeralda, but I doubt I'll return.

Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank sarki
Beverly Hills, CA
Reviewed September 12, 2005

The Esmeralda has it all...
Small enough for easy naviagation;
large enough for all the ameniities ..
wrapped up in an easy going package

Several pools, sandy beach for the kids, 2 jacuzzis
Terrific Brunch
Wonderful lunch (Chicken and Avocado sandwich A+)
Friendly, lively bar and guest service

Located on a golf course (owned by the City of Indian Wells)
shared with Hyatt Grand Champions with a golf club restaurant
in an easy walk.

On Highway 111 ...easy access to everything Palm Springs
and Indian casinos.

Ready to return in a heartbeat!

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 3, 2005

The resort is brilliant as are most of the staff. Our stay was spoiled by the attitude of the bar manager David. The first time we visited the bar, on arrival at the resort late in the evening, we were the only customers and he made it plain by his demeanour that we were preventing him getting home. On our second visit I questioned the bill and he eventually admitted, after a long delay and with no apology, that I had been charged with other customers' drinks. On the third visit, my wife and I were sitting having a quiet conversation at the bar, when he refused to serve us more drinks on the grounds that we had had too much alcohol, after we had had five long drinks with food over a period of almost three hours. I guess he was getting revenge for being challenged for overcharging two days before. As some of his colleagues told us , 'He thinks he's still in the army' although I think that maligns the army! We left early and checked into another hotel in Palm Springs.
All the other staff were outstanding, particularly in the spa and by the pool area.

• Stayed: August 2004
4  Thank encal
San Diego, CA
Reviewed August 23, 2005

Stayed at the Renaissance Aug. 7-11th. Had a Corner King Room on the fourth floor overlooking the Pool... It as GREAT! The room is huge and had a view on the pool, mountains, and east... the bed was great, the bathroom was SUPER... and the staff was very helpful and friendly... I couldn't have asked for a better hotel in all respects and look forward to returning soon. The pool is large and and sandy beach is so nice for the kids, and the waterfall is a really nice touch. We have stayed any many 5star hotels and this one is one of the tops!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Azusa, Ca.
Reviewed August 20, 2005

I'm tempted to write that my experience was horrible and not recommend a stay here so everyone will stay away and I have a better chance to reserve a room. However, this would not do justice to the resort and staff. If you are into rude staff, terrible tasting food, bad views from your room, do NOT stay here. From the moment you arrive, your're treated like royalty. Everyone on the staff is cordial, polite and are genuinely glad to see you. All the staff will bend over backwards to cater to your every whim. My wife and I stayed for our anniversary and when we arrived in our room, there was complimetary champagne and strawberries to help as celebrate. The evening entertainment is great. Definately recommend on of your evening dinners be at Scirroco. Great service and delicious Italian cuisine will welcome you here. Spent all day in the pool next to the pool bar. Too lazy to actually get out of the pool and order your drink? No problem, the attentive pool staff will take your drink and food order and charge it to your room if you'd like. Very convenient so you don't have to take cash down to the pool. If you have time, pay a visit to the spa, you wont' be sorry. For all you couples, book a "Couples Massage" and enjoy some time away from the real world.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 16, 2005

My fiancee and I stayed here for just 2 days but I could have stayed for ever!
Everything about the renaissance resort was first class- service excellent, beautiful surroundings. From our room we had a stunning view of the mountains and the large pool area. The highlight of my stay was sipping cocktails in the swimming pool (it is hot here, and even the water is warm!). Another highlight was the carpet in the elevator which changed everyday to say "Have a pleasant Thursday..." etc - a small thing, but all part of the attention to detail! The mattress was the most comfortable I had ever slept on, and the room was large, airy and immaculate (ask for a pool view room if possible).
There is enough dining variety here for you not to need to eat outside the resort. The Charisma restaurant served an incredible seafood buffet followed by a chocolate fountain for dessert, but my fiancee was equally pleased with his barbecued sausage in the poolside cafe!!!
A wonderful, utterly relaxing stay. Couldn't recommend it enough.

3  Thank KayDas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!