“Excellent place to stay with kids”

Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
San Francisco
“Excellent place to stay with kids”
Reviewed March 30, 2009

We stayed here for a few days for Spring Break, we booked via Priceline.com and bid on the hotel. Got a very nice room for a bid of $101 + taxes/fees (total $117.75). We did however get hit with a "Resort Fee" when we got there of $20/day. That sucked!

The pool area was great! Kids loved it! We stayed in one day and enjoyed the resorts amenities...swimming, basketball, tennis and biking.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Daddy04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
St Louis MO
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Stayed at the Renaissance Resort March 4th -7th in Indian Wells. It's next to the Hyatt. This place is certainly 4 star comfort. I know the economy is bad but at $179 per night you'd be a fool to pass up this $300+ night hotel. The grounds were lush green and well groomed by the landscaping crew. The pool was sparkeling clean. Walking into the grand cavernous lobby with all it's woodwork sets the tone for the entire resort. My check-in was very swift and went without a hitch. My 7th floor room was a king suite that over looked the golf course and little San Bernardino mountains. The bathroom was slightly larger than standard. The bed was very comfortable and sheets always crisp and fresh and bed re-made when I returned each afteroon . The pool area is very pleasant and quite sprawling. I will caution you the morning buffet breakfast was $23.00 and a total rip-off. There is a parking lot some distance away from the front door and I was able t park thee every night, but when its full there's a garage at the other end of the hotel near a conference center attached to the hotel. While this place isn't for the financially weak I did see some value. I did not use the fitness center or spa facilities. The on site bar is truly nothing to write home about and almost as if an afterthought. The most outstanding thing I can say about this place is how clean, how well groomed the grounds are, and how enjoyable the pool area is. I highly recommend this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank StLouisMOSteve
zug
Reviewed March 13, 2009

We stayed there 3 nights with a group. Check in was very easy and we were offered a nicer room than the one that had been booked for us. It took 2 hours to get our suitcases after.
It is a beautiful hotel with smiling and professional staff. The spa is very good but expensive. The room was really large and comfortable. It's a pity that internet is only accessible by paying 5 USD minimum. I was expecting an email. I checked my inbox 3 times during the day: 15 USD! There should be a complimentary 5 minutes.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank experienced08
Los Angeles
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We went to this hotel because Hyatt next door, our usual spot, was sold out. This hotel was very nice as well. The nicest part was a lovely large pool with sandy entrance like a beach. Jacuzzi was very nice. Food at the pool area was average and expensive (all fried too). Rooms were your regular four star rooms. I do recommend this hotel, although it's a bit pricey. Location is great, no wind at all, nice upscale place.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank VictoriaLA
Whittier, California
Reviewed February 23, 2009

This was my second stay here, first time was on a business trip and this time I went with my family on short weekend jaunt to Joshua Tree and Palm Springs. Both times I was able to get a deal on Priceline, $90 + resort fee, which was surprising because we booked this year during Valentine's Day weekend. The resort is huge, meaning it could be a bit of a hike from the elevators to your room. Luckily our room wasn't too far, but that was because I insisted on being closer. It does pay to call your requests in before you actually check-in. The standard rooms are large and easily fit 2 queen beds. Considering that there's four of us, we were appreciative of the space. We were provided bathrobes and bath amenities from Lather.
The resort is very clean and the staff was professional. Everyone was very helpful in accomodating our requests, including late checkout at 2pm. The resort fees are a scam, but we did note that the fee includes use of a bike. So we borrowed 4 bikes, including 2 kids bikes, and went on a morning ride of several miles. Unfortunately, one of the kids' bikes broke midway through and it started to rain. We then called the hotel's concierge and she sent 2 minivan taxis to pick us up right away. She made a potentially terrible situation much better - and we were very grateful.
Like a lot of resorts, valet parking, services, and food are pricey. You are much better off driving elsewhere for food. Uncovered self-parking is free and a short walk away, but I can see how the walk would be a real pain if it were summer time.
Perhaps the only lingering criticism of the resort is that it is very bland in design and character - very vanilla. It was like walking through an airport terminal. But for us, who only needed a comfortable place to sleep, the Renaissance was fine.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Paul E
San Diego, California
Reviewed February 23, 2009

We were calling for reservations and never got a call back. So, we called the front desk to find the restaurant was completely booked for the one night we wanted to eat in the hotel. The room was a very long hike from the elevators. Within an hour, we had had to call housekeeping and maintenance. The emergency exit door next to our room was truly our only way out in case of a fire and we were on the 6th floor. The door was ajar and someone had been smoking in the stair well. When the door was closed. It was locked, so maintenance took out the latch. The door now was permanently open to the outside so there went any potential security.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wgroves
B'ham
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Typical large Marriott "resort." Exterior landscaping, appearance, views, etc. are great. However, to actually stay on property and negotiate my family around the property was a real pain.

The check-in process was painless. As usual, the self parking areas were buried to the side and back of the property. Valet and bellhops are fine, but I prefer to deal with my own bags and save the $$$.

The room was nice - nothing overly special other than the large plasma HDTV. Beds were comfortable and the bathroom was large.

**Note - my wife was not too happy to come in one evening and discover a large roach crawling near the bed - I was out, so maintenance sent someone up to take care of it**

The pool area was good. The attendants seemed to be responsive and friendly.

Overall, not a fabulous place to stay, but nice.

• Liked — Landscaping, pool
  • Disliked — Hassle in getting to self-park area
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank REtraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!