“Great for the active and the passive”

Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
“Great for the active and the passive”
Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

When you need a great place to Escape but are limited on time, the Greater Palms Springs area is my first choice. Its close enough to get to quickly, yet this desert oasis gives you the feeling that your hundreds of miles away. The Renaissance is the perfect blend of low key luxury without the stuffy attitude. It has just enough activities that you don't ever have to leave the grounds, but yet close enough for you to get out and enjoy palm deserts great shopping and eateries. Rooms are very spacious, bathrooms are enormous with separate potty room (love this). Pool is great, especially if you have children because there are lots of poolside activities. Great Italian restaurant and beautiful spa facilities. This hotel is not exceptionally budget friendly, but in summer you can find some pretty good deals. Has great areas in the lobby and patio areas where you can relax with friends or just chill alone. Overall great experience, but bring your wallet because you will pay for the experience. Word to the wise, self parking is a must!! Valet costs are ridiculous and not included in the daily $38 resort fee. Service was top notch, although had a cranky maid who had a problem with me asking for additional towels. Otherwise the experience was relaxing. Will definitely recommend staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Alwayzaladyv
RenaissanceEsmeralda, General Manager at Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your great comments and feedback about our property, customer service and your overall experience. We wanted to clarify that our resort fee is $28 a day and does indeed include self parking, Internet, complimentary bikes and more. We’re very sorry that your request for additional towels was not greeted with our customary warm and friendly service and do appreciate you bringing this to our attention. Here’s to a great remainder to your summer and looking forward to serving you again one day soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed here for the weekend for my 20 year high school reunion. It was literally 125 degrees and my 9 month old was with us so we didn't *really* get to experience much outside of the hotel. We weren't able to use the pool because it was just way too hot out. But it sure looked beautiful from our room!!

The room was nice and clean and good sized. We ate in two of the restaurants (Cava for breakfast and the Italian one for dinner) and both were very good. The Lemon Raspberry pancakes at the Cava were simply amazing. The reunion was in one of the ball rooms... Valencia maybe? It was a great room, good setup with a happy hour outside of the main room. The hotel did not organize the reunion, but they did give us a great rate for rooms.

There is a hidden parking garage behind the hotel. If you are there in 125 degrees and don't want your carseat to melt (or anything else) it is really great to have this covered parking option. Otherwise the main parking is a huge lot out in the sun.

The air conditioner worked amazing!

Room Tip: ask to be near the elevator.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We recently enjoyed out stay at the Esmeralda and would return in a flash. We have been staying with Marriott properties since 1990 at all levels and this property is a standout because:
-location
-staff were amazing, including Jackie that checked us in
-pool perfect
-room very clean and updated
-wonderful bath
-beautiful property, well maintained

North Long Beach, California, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed 3 nights on the golf, spa, and breakfast package. The staff at the golf course, spa and Cava restaurant were all helpful and attentive. The golf course staff went out of their way to be helpful. We ate Cava and the Sushi bar. All the food was excellent especially the Esmeralda roll at the Sushi Bar. We enjoyed the vacation very much and would definitely return.

Richmond, California
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've stayed in most of the resorts in the area for various Coachella adventures but rarely come around during other times of the year. However my partner had a conference here and I tagged along, with visions of quiet days relaxing by the pool, sumptuous meals and restful sleep.

Driving in, there was no signage telling us where to find covered parking, and the driveway was under construction with awkward speed bumps everywhere. Again, no signs directing us to the front desk so we hauled our bags around by the pool desperately seeking a place to register. While walking by the pool I noticed at least 50 children jumping and playing while bad music you'd expect to hear at a cheap Caribbean resort boomed over the sound system. Looked like fun for the kids, but no serenity whatsoever.

Finally we found a desk and then continued a long, awkward zig zag walk to our illogically numbered room. The rooms are pretty nice with a lot of wear showing on all the furniture (though I'm ok with that for sustainability reasons!) The bathroom is spacious but like a previous reviewer said, the tub/shower looks like something you'd find at a Holiday Inn. Ours didn't drain properly so I called for service, which was prompt and effective (they even gave me a hammer-shaped chocolate as an apology for the inconvenience, which was kinda cute).

But the kicker was at 4 am when the alarm started to go off. I didn't even notice that there was a clock in the room. We unplugged it. It had a backup battery and went off again. I could not get back to sleep that night. Not cool, Renaissance Esmerelda. When I called the front desk the agent said "Well what do you want me to do about it?" Sweet. In the end she did take some money off my bill and was completely open to giving me whatever I wanted, but I would have paid $100 extra just to have gotten a good night's sleep in the first place. It's a hotel - I'm here to sleep - get some alarm clocks that require that the alarm be intentionally set, or have the staff turn them off - but this is unacceptable to me, especially at a fine resort.

When I finally did go to the pool I noticed that it is a max of 3 ft deep in any of the pools at any point. So one can't really swim. As I walked around the pool my feet turned black from the dirt. The lounge chairs were filthy. Little bugs bit me. And today I stepped in bubble gum in the pool elevator I thought, "I don't think I will be staying here again if I have a choice."

Such a shame - it's a beautiful property. Maybe this is a great place to bring kids but it's not good for an adult looking for a quiet retreat.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RenaissanceEsmeralda, General Manager at Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
We apologize that you did not have the wonderful resort experience that is our goal for each and every guest. Please be assured that your arrival experience wasn’t customary and we appreciate your feedback very much and will review our signage. Your alarm should never have gone off and the situation should have been addressed with grace. Our housekeepers are trained to delete any previous settings and we apologize that this was not done. The cleanliness of the pool is also being addressed by our team. We hope you will consider a return one day soon so that you can experience the true Renaissance Esmeralda experience that we are very proud of.
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have stayed in several of the resorts in the Palm Desert/La Quinta area. This was my first stay at the Renaissance Esmeralda. The hotel is spacious with lots of seating in the reception areas and has a large pool with a nice beach entry with two jacuzzis. The pool area was quite noisy and sound carried up to our room until 11pm when the pool closed. The rooms are comfortable with nice amenities. I was particularly disappointed with the quality of service at the hotel. Our room was missing a certain staple item in the bathroom that I had to request twice before it was delivered. (Conditioner) In addition, and this is quite unusual, the bathroom smelled terrible due to a particularly smelly shower liner. I had to request that the liner be changed because the odor was so overpowering. (This is my reason for the 2 stars.) The next day, our hairdryer stopped working and I had to call to request a new one be delivered. (Keep in mind that my hair was partially wet.) We waited for half an hour and had to leave before it arrived so we could get on with our day. To the hotel's credit, they did credit the resort fee for the first day but overall, I have to say that the quality of service and attention to detail is not what I would expect of a 4 star hotel. Hotel staff were very nice but honestly, I would not recommend this place to my friends after my experience here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank seg1227
Thank you for your comments. We apologize for the challenges with your guest room but appreciate very much the fact that you brought these to our attention. An outstanding resort experience should have been the result of your visit and we hope you will visit us again so that we can provide that to you.
Highland, California
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I went to the resort for five days, four nights in July for a conference. I took my daughter and mother with and we had two rooms. The rooms are very nice, very spacious. Check in was a breeze and bags were brought up right away and bellman was extremely kind. He was from Minnesota and gave us several ideas for dinner places. My mom loved the lady at the concierge, she made reservations for us two out of the three nights. The first night my air conditioner wasn't working, so we asked for it to be checked out. We were told to give it time, it would get cooler overnight. The next morning the room was still 74 degrees and my moms adjoining room was a cool 68 degrees. Another guy came up and decided the coil was dirty, so fixed that and all was good. However, no apologies or compensation. That was the only major negative. We went to the Italian restaurant one night and Elliot was out waiter. He was kind of standoffish at first, but warmed up to us and we had a delightful dinner. I would suggest this place anyway. The only thing that would make it better would be a kids menu for the few times kids show up. But like I said, delicious. Another night we ate at the bar. Service was slow to start, but once they got moving everything was fine. Portions were large. Three days my mom and daughter had lunch at the pool. They loved it, food was good they said, and everybody was very friendly. I gave you lots of information, but take advantage of all of the amenities. It is a great place. It would have been a perfect score if we were taken care of more quickly with the air conditioning issue. We will go back.

Room Tip: Self parking is easy, no need for valet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Indian Wells
The Westin Desert Willow Villas
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!