“Awful service for a beautiful luxury resort”

Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
Orange, California
“Awful service for a beautiful luxury resort”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2007

All of the concerns presented below were raised in an e-mail message sent to Bob Walsh, the Renaissance Esmeralda general manager, on October 1, 2007 before I checked out. As of October 5, he has not even acknowledged receipt of that e-mail message. It appears to me that the service failures at Esmeralda described below reflect the inattention of its management AND its staff.

My first stay at the Renaissance Esmeralda will be my last. Arriving the afternoon of Sept. 30, the resort’s valets and bellmen seemed less than interested in helping me with my car or my luggage. After asking three different valets for help, over the course of 15 minutes in the mid-day desert heat, I finally gave up and obtained one of the hotel’s luggage carts to haul my own bags up to the lobby. Nothing gets the attention of bellmen like a guest having the audacity to use one of their luggage carts. Only then did I attract the help I desired.

After checking into my room, I made the mistaken assumption that the hotel’s refrigerators would actually keep my food and drinks cold. Five hours after loading the refrigerator its contents were actually warmer than room temperature! Naturally, I requested a replacement. Three hours later the employee who visited my room determined it was working just fine and left a voicemail message indicating that no corrective action was required. Ten hours after checking in the contents of the refrigerator were still warmer than room temperature. Essentially, the employees ignored my request for a replacement refrigerator. Did they think I called for a replacement just to make work for them? If you think about it, their actions basically implied that I lied about the need for a replacement. Disregarding my simple request for a replacement refrigerator, made in response to a specific problem, really falls short of the service expected at resort like the Esmeralda.

The hotel’s answer to my telephoned complaint that night was polite in light of my displeasure: “Can we buy you breakfast?” While generous, my $700 conference fee paid for breakfast. (I realize that the hotel does not control that fee, however at least a portion of that amount pays for the conference rooms and meals.) At this point even a room discount would not provide much relief since my firm paid for the room charges. Nearly twenty-four hours after reporting the refrigerator problem the hotel sent up a cheese and cracker amenity and generic apology note, which I assume were good will gestures for this problem. Since my dietary needs would not have allowed me to partake I politely refused the cheese and crackers; good food should never be wasted.

My service experiences continued on October 1, as I tried to book a spa appointment. My first three phone calls to the spa over a 15 minute span of time rolled to voicemail. Since I couldn’t book an appointment while I’m attending a conference session, I refrained from leaving a message. On my next attempt after lunch, the hotel operator connected me to a hotel employee who spoke limited English. Once I reached a person working at the spa, I inquired about booking a 50 minute massage appointment. After being immediately placed on hold, I finally hung up after several minutes. I was clearly forgotten about.

Although the resort otherwise appears to merit a four-star rating and charge four star rates, my service experience at the Esmeralda merited three stars or less. The resort is beautiful and clearly its housekeepers work very hard to keep it and my room clean; it’s a shame that the other services expected of a luxury resort were so lacking.

• Liked — Cleanliness; the resort and my room were spotless. Housekeeping did its job!
  • Disliked — Bell service, Spa service and responsiveness to mechanical issues.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank Tax_Counsel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2007

We stayed at the Renaissance for a business conference for 4 nights (Saturday, 9/22/07 thru Wednesday, 9/26/07). From the minute you drive down the entrance road towards the front of the resort you know that you will be staying at "classy" resort. The bell-hop and front-desk service was great. We were able to check in quickly. If you want the valet service to park your car be prepared to pay $22 a night. There is free parking just a few feet past the valet parking spots so save your money and enjoy the walk by the large fountain. Our room was on the 6th floor overlooking the pool. The view is great from the balcony. The only negative was if you left the sliding door open you could hear the music and rushing water from below (which became annoying after awhile). The room was very clean, the king sise bed was super comfortable and the maid service did their job efficiently. My wife enjoyed the pool every day. At this time of year (with the kids in school) lounge chairs are plentiful. Try to sit by "falling water" because it is a secluded area away from the main pool, it is close to the hot tubs and you get a nice cool breeze coming off of the falling water. The service at the pool was excellent and the food/drinks are very good (pricey, but good). The conference center is located in the rear of the resort, a short walk from the main hotel (past the pool area). The meals served at the conference center are just okay. Room service (breakfast) was prompt and the food was hot and very good. The only reason we will not rate our overall experience as "excellent" is because of the horrific service we experienced Sunday night at the two restaurant hotels. We went to the Sirocco restaurant at 7:00 p.m. and even though our waiter had only three table to wait on in his section it was more than 20 minutes before he came to take our drink order. After 40 minutes we still did had not received our drinks and he had not come back to take our food order. We decided to leave and try the other resort restaurant but found out the service was no better. After sitting at this restaurant for 45 minutes (at least we got our drink order after 10 minutes) our waiter never came back to take our food order so we decided that it was time to take our business elsewhere (off-site). What we found out (and had read in other reviews but hoped wasn't true) is "if the resort is slow then the service will be just as slow". The manager of the second restaurant offered to "comp" us room service but after a 1 1/2 hours of sitting waiting for food we didn't think it was worth it to stick around. For the next three evenings we ate dinner outside the resort and had no problems with getting top-notch service. The resort lost over $400 of restaurant busines from us because of their poor service that Sunday evening. We ate at LG's Steakhouse in La Quinta two nights (it is expensive but the service and food was excellent) and we ate one night at Don Diego's (try the filet mignon fajita's, they are excellent!). Overall, the resort more than met our expectations and we would stay there again because it is a very nice place! (We will eat off-site though!)

• Liked — Pool area, comfortable beds, clean rooms, location
  • Disliked — Service in restaurant
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank BAJ59
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

I was a bit afraid to go to this hotel after I had read some of the reviews. Yes, we did witness and have some of the things happen to us as others have...we had a pretty good stay.

Let's talk the negatives first....KIDS....Yes they are there...They had to close down a part of the pool one afternoon. Being curious I asked our server and she smiled and said it was closed due to "Code Brown"....I got the drift and the movie Caddyshack ran through my head!!!

We spend most of our time on the chaises in the grassy area off the sandy beach. Had it all to ourselves....Few kids at the sandy beach but the ones that were there found it necessary to fill their buckets & toys up with sand and dump it in the pool. The staff in blue shirts never stopped the kids....A mother who wasn't paying attention to her children...which there were quite a few of these types finally turned around and saw her youngest screaming because he had walked on the patio around the pool which was blazing hot. Another couple ran to the kids rescue and she just wondered over afer she put some shoes on. It was really sad when then another one of her kids decided to pull the stroller into the pool. I saw it and pulled the stroller out. The mom thought the stroller in the pool was a cute Idea so she decided to give the kids rides in the stroller in the pool....Nice huh...and no one from the hotel staff asked her to stop.

The pool was over chorinated...but I think I know why....Drink service and food service around the pool was terrible....These people don't understand customer service and how to hustle...Believe me we are big tipper when service warrants it and they could have made some nice money off of us that week...but know one seemed to want to make money...

Our room was upgraded due to our Platinum status to a corner room overlooking the pool on the 7th floor...with a nice balcony with a table and chairs. We had a mini frig which we stocked after going to the grocery store....frig was free of charge due again to our Platinum status. The Marriott bedding is great and very comfortable...but the air conditioning never worked correctly...but it was 111 to 116 degrees while we were there. Our room was very clean and believe me we are picky...and check it out everywhere...Our housekeeper left us extra towels each day after we left her a note....that was a nice touch!!!

We ate breakfast every morning at CAVA and had the breakfast buffet. Fresh fruit, omlets made to order, fresh cold smoothies delivered to our table while we were at the buffet, smoked salmon, capers and cream cheese and lots of other goodies. But don't eat outside the birds will ruin your breakfast..we learned on the first day...

We ate at Sirocco's for dinner one evening and had a wonderful meal. Service was great, suggestions were excellent and the food was exceptional including the fresh shaved fennel salad.

Room service was very efficient and our food selections were plentiful and warm.

All in all we did like the hotel except for the pool and kids which could have been regulated by the staff. Perhaps a section of the pool for adults only would be something to consider....I spoke to alot of people without children who were agitated like I was. The hotel should make light of the fact that it is very kid friendly and perhaps people such as myself with no children would be more inclined to book elsewhere...because it is so hot the majority of our time was spent cooling down in the pool....We would have had a better time without certain little people and their parents who could have cared less.

Both of the golf courses were closed for remodeling while we were there...but frankly it was too hot to golf!!!

Park your own car..it's not a far walk....and be prepared to open the doors to the hotel yourself...many times there was no one around as we were coming and going...

If traveling to the Palm Springs area again...we would most likely stay elsewhere since the pool was a big draw to us....But all in all it was a decent stay...

• Liked — Good restaurants
  • Disliked — Pool
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sundanceridge
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2007

If one has to be in the Palm Springs area in August, this is a great place to stay! The SPA experience was wonderful! Can't wait to go back in December or January!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — A/C could not keep up with outdoor heat, but tried.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank paintergal
los angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2007

We have stayed here many times and will now start to explore other venues because:

They recently revamped their cooling and heating system - You will NOT be permitted to lower your room temp below 65 AND each thermostat now has a motion sensor, if you are not moving around your room to keep the air flowing, yer gonna fry. We woke up each night in a stuffy, hot room - It was misery.

We had to get new keys three times because the one's they gave us did not work.

The 'Dive-in' movie: They recently moved the projection system out of the pool area and onto a lawn on the otherside of a high metal fence. You cannot stay in the pool and watch the movie OR even hear the movie. Our kids who usually look forward to this part of staying at this resort bailed each night, fed-up with the obstructed view and crummy sound quality.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank Esqusc
Huntington Beach, Calif.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2007

We've always stayed at La Quinta, which is a great resort, very laid back, good spa and very restful. We decided to try something different for this trip to PS and I read about the pool at Esmeralda being great for kids.

The Esmeralda hotel & grounds are nicely kept, the staff is excellent and very friendly. I was able to upgrade to a larger room for free and eventhough it overlooked the valet area, it was quiet after 10pm. Use the self parking and save $22 a night, plus it's a short walk. Make sure to check your A/C when coming back to the room after maid service, they turn it up to 80, so make sure to reset when you return to the room. The beds are very comfortable, there are free rollout beds for the asking, normally other hotels charge $15-35 and the rooms were clean.

The pool area is heaven sent for kids, it's 3-4ft deep with a cold water waterfall, the sand beach area is great for playing or building a sand sculpture and most nights there is a kids movie played on a large screen on the grass area at the end of the pool at 8:30. The lounge chairs get taking quickly, especially on the weekends, however, the hotel policy is to remove any articles saving a chair that's not being used for 15 minutes, between 6-9am. So it prevents poachers from taking big blocks of chairs and saving them till they make it down to the pool and it's first come, first served.

This is a large resort, so plan on walking a bit. We ate at Cava 3 times, excellent food, outstanding service and a great staff who'll go out of their way to make you happy. It's expensive, but at least you're getting a good meal, which for most hotel restaurants isn't very common. The morning breakfast buffet is worth the $21 and kids eat free at Cava.

The pool food service is also expensive, but again, the service is great and the food is excellent. Typical smoothies at the bar are $10 for a virgin and $12 for alcohol, beer is $8, but if you go to Cava, they'll make a wonderful smoothie for less money and it's larger than the poolside ones.

If you try to use the minibar refrigerator for your own food, the staff will remove it and put it in a small refrigerator next to the minibar for $7 flat rate for however long you're there. High speed internet is avail for $10 a day, the gym is outstanding with a lot of weight machines, free weights and 10 very high end treadmills. There's also a steam & sauna, lockers, free headsets, fruit bowls and excellent staff. If you're planning an event, the meeting & ballrooms are huge, they can accomodate many hundreds of people.

Now the not so good. If you go to the pool, you'd better like kids because the pool area is their domain. If you're single or a couple looking for a romantic place to enjoy each others company, go to another hotel like La Quinta or MiraMonte and don't waste your time here.

After playing in the pool for 3 straight days with my son, it's obvious that there are some people who should not pro-create. There are MANY kids who scream for the fun of it, there are quite a few who love to throw tantrums and screaming fits when they don't get their way and still other parents who are too busy drinking & socializing with their friends, to pay any attention to their monsters poor behavior.

The crowd at the Esmeralda is made up of 60% normal families who are there to have a fun family vacation, 20% parents looking to let their kids run wild so they won't have to pay attention to them and 20% trailer trash who are only there to drink themselves into oblivion, so they won't have to see what kind of beasts they've wrought against this world.

If you don't like crowds, avoid the weekends because this place is a nightmare of out of control kids and it's absolutely packed with wall to wall children running & screaming everywhere.

The weekdays is much quieter, but still there are plenty of examples of horrendous parenting and still more painful examples of why some people should not have children.

Still, bad parenting is not the fault of the hotel and I would absolutely return to this property during the weekday. If you crave quiet pool time with your significant other, run, don't walk, to another property. If you insist on staying here for a romantic weekend, get to the pool at 6am, plan on leaving by 10am, then come back at 6pm until 11pm when the pool closes. Otherwise, be prepared to listen to screaming and out of control kids.

• Liked — Staff & Service
  • Disliked — Screaming Children Everywhere
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank Spacecrazy
St. Paul,MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2007

I'm surprised at the negative comments because our family felt the hotel was very nice, the landscaping was beautiful, the staff was friendly, and we always found a place around the pool. The pool area was great, we hated to leave to go eat. We didn't eat on sight much, there are so many fun restaurants nearby. We went the week before Easter so I'd think there would have been lots of kids but there weren't. We had a teen and she enjoyed the relaxation. Palm Desert in general was so manicured, we much enjoyed our whole trip. I thought the Esmeralda was definitely a 4-5 star hotel. I can't really think of any major complaints.

• Liked — Its beauty
  • Disliked — price if you had to pay full price for a room
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Miramonte Indian Wells Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa

Been to Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!