“Summer Paradise with my Kids”

Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Indian Wells
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I'm coming back next summer. We stayed here during the summer when the heat hit 105+ because the rates were SOOOOO GOOOOOD for a top notch property. Being a parent I don't have much $$$ to spend. Everything was perfect. I think they have a cooler for the pool water because unlike Phoenix, the water was cold. They had lots of scenic pools which weren't crowded. The kids pool was great for young kids with a small but fun slide. The rooms were large and with the sofa bed each kid got their own bed! The grounds are well kept and landscaped. The town had lots of good restaurants. And the San Diego Zoo is pleasant 2 hour drive away through some small mountains.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,578)

Reviewed August 22, 2007

Good: Friendly staff ... great for families with young children...my daughther had a great time at the swimming pools... rooms are spacious......good overall value for the internet deal that I got.

Bad: The A/C in the room we stayed in made loud buzzing sounds that woke me up at night.

Tip: Ask for a room in the "newer wing."

My family would definitely go back to this resort again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank r55s5030901
Reviewed August 19, 2007

This hotel was not worth $230 per night. I expected 5 star quality, but, instead, got 2 star quality. I expected a lush resort, but it felt more like a Motel 6. The rooms were completely outdated and in desperate need of refurbishing/updating. The double beds are suitable for one person at best, definitely not two. The small fridge in the room did not work. The mini bar was hooked up to a sensor, so if I so much as picked up a pack of cookies to look at it, I was charged for it on my hotel bill. I was not impressed with the facilities at all. It's rather old and the decor was miserable. I would not recommend this hotel unless you are staying at a more reasonable rate of less than $100/nightly.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank dplazo
Reviewed August 9, 2007

My wife and I actually stayed here on 2 separate occasions and both visits were just excellent. Despite having booked our room via Priceline at a screamin’ deal of a price, the front desk crew and management treated us like royalty.
David at the front desk gave us a nice upgrade and Nick – the front desk manager really went out of his way to take care of us no matter our request. Having stayed in many high end resorts, it was a refreshing change to get a smile and hello from staff as we passed them in the halls. No stuffy attitudes here, just friendly and attentive staff.
Additionally, the pools, restaurants and other amenities were truly befitting those of any 4-star resort you’d find worldwide. Overall, it was a perfect combination of comfort and friendliness.

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed June 14, 2007

Hyatt Grand Champs is a very nice resort hotel tucked away off Highway 111 in Indian Wells. Most of the action (restaurants, shopping, etc.) is a decent drive away in Palm Desert or La Quinta, but for golf, tennis, swimming, or spa treatments, this hotel is a good home base in the desert.

The rooms are fairly large; many are two level, with a step down living area and small patio. Many of these patios face a parking lot, but some do offer distant mountain views, or pool & golf course views. The place is clean and well-run, though some of the decor needs updating, particularly in the bathrooms (which to their credit are large with separate tub & shower).

There are many pools, though none strike me as spectacular. I'm sure when they debuted they were great, but nowadays they are just plain ok.

The service, like at many Hyatt resort properties, is above average. Most problems are addressed in a professional and timely manner.

• Stayed: May 2007
6  Thank TravelDrone
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We booked a 2 night stay over Memorial Day Weekend. Upon arrival I was offered an upgrade to a pool view which was nice. Overall the hotel was very nice, clean and there is plenty to do for the kids. I let my 10 year old bring his skateboard... thank goodness, because there is a path for biking, etc. This place is expensive, but there are lots of activities that are free like bike rentals (tip :smaller bikes go fast, so if you have a little one, bring his bike, and borrow the rest), croquet, playground, outdoor ping pong and pool tables. There were free dive in movies at the pool each night, face painting, pony rides etc. I guess this is why they charge a resort fee. Santa Rosa Restaurant service is not the best. I had to ask for coffee at breakfast 3 times, and finally got it myself. My "cooked to order" eggs were obviously just taken from the buffet., and they put the food down fast and run away before you can ask for anything else! By Saturday, it was a zoo at the pool . Over crowded and hot!! Lines for the waterslide were really long . Pool service was ok... but clearly understaffed for a holiday weekend. Housekeeping had to be called twice before they came... they only made the bed and gave us towels. None of these issues seemed to bother my kids, though. they were in heaven. Note: if you are looking for a romantic getaway, proceed with caution. There are a lot of screaming babies and kids here. Try The Miramonte or The Ritz.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank suburbanBAP
Reviewed May 28, 2007

We decided to get away for the weekend at the last minute. I checked several websites and decided to use priceline. I was pleasantly surprised when my $150/night bid was accepted for the hyatt grand champions. Our overall experience was great. We loved that there was an adult pool and we did not have to deal with noisy children. Because it was Memorial Day Weekend I expected the hotel to be hectic but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was crowded but manageable. We had no problem getting lounge chairs at the pool each day and the staff were incredibly accommodating, moving chairs, getting towels and trying to find umbrellas. I have stayed at the Desert Springs Marriott for many years during the same weekend and enjoyed this hotel much more because it was much less crowded and not as much as a scene. The room was nice. Clean and spacious. We were put at the end of the hall and did not hear anything. I read a lot of other reviews that complained that the walls were thin, but we did not hear a thing. I would not recommend staying on the first floor because it seems like there is a lot of foot traffic and would be extremely noisy. I would definitely recommend this hotel. Can't wait to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Renaissance Indian Wells Resort & Spa

Been to Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!